Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks! Actually, you are wrong. Most of my payment I received (£1500) was refunded bank charges. Only 25% was because of the packaged bank fees. Originally I was offered £100 for the bank charges and £8.50 for the packaged bank account. They were both sent to the ombudsman and they thought I had a better chance if I combined the claims. As a result they offered 2k and the FOS is still looking into it further....:T

You ought to go to the press as there are only 2 known cases of bank charge refunds since the 2009 court case that do not come under current financial hardship criteria.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks! Actually, you are wrong. Most of my payment I received (£1500) was refunded bank charges. Only 25% was because of the packaged bank fees. Originally I was offered £100 for the bank charges and £8.50 for the packaged bank account. They were both sent to the ombudsman and they thought I had a better chance if I combined the claims. As a result they offered 2k and the FOS is still looking into it further....:T

This is really in need of some proof not least because the FOS themselves say they don't take on bank charge cases let alone this stuff about combining the cases. Banks do not payout on old charges since the court case, they do not pay out for anything except current financial hardship. The idea you just wrote and got £1500 of old charges back when every other complaint is rejected is so unlikely it demands evidence as that would open the floodgates for new complaints when the bank had no reason at all to payout

Almost certainly you got back the package account charges and with the interest etc it has added up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks! Actually, you are wrong.
    Can you share the letter from the Bank upholding your complaint? The whole forum will be astounded if it confirms your statement here.

Enjoy your refund :T
  • The reason they refunded the charges is due to the packaged bank account fees coming out when I had no money in my account. As a result of this, they charged me around £5 a day for going over my £100 overdraft. As I was only 18 years old with a part time job (which I got paid mind month) I was racking up £85-£145 a month in fees and only earning £300-400. So sometimes half my wages. On top of that was the packaged bank account charge of £15- which was completely miss sold. A few years later when I finally addressed that I shouldn’t be paying that much and began taking control of my finances and asked the bank to help. They put a control fee on my account of £10 a month (to prevent me from going over my limit) and downgraded my account. However they continued to charge me £40 in fees even with the control fee added.

When I put this all into my letter, I was refunds packaged bank account fees, some bank charges and some control fees.

The payment out to me was mostly refunded bank charges. I encourage people to still try. After reading this and not realising that people weren’t getting paid out for it anymore I still persued and I 2k better off. Every case is different and you will never know if you don’t try. Maybe because I had a packaged bank account it helped the case to be looked at by the FOS. IDK but still, I’m happy that I tried. I just wanted to share my story to encourage people still go for it. I may share the letter, I’m not sure as of yet. I don’t feel like I should have to prove it to anyone but if it helps others then I may.
  • I’m happy if someone from the moneysaving expert want to contact me and I can show them all the evidence.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you for the update.
    The reason they refunded the charges is due to the packaged bank account fees coming out when I had no money in my account. As a result of this, they charged me around £5 a day for going over my £100 overdraft.

These are consequential charges. i.e. if the PBA charge had not been made then some of the over-limit charges would not be made either. So, they take those into account.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bank name: HSBC
    Amount Reclaimed: £1,486.12
    Amount they paid: £545
    The story: I emptied my account with HSBC (and went Full Monzo) in June and wrote them a letter explaining that I felt the amount of overdraft charges I had incurred were very unfair considering they'd declined my request for an arranged overdraft and option to put a hard stop on not allowing unarranged overdraft charges on the account. I talked about how the constant charges made it very hard to get out of debt and had a detrimental effect on my mental stability. HSBC responded to my complaint saying that despite there not being any error on their side, they were sorry and credited my empty account with £545. I'm very happy and glad that I did this as all it really took was an hour to add up the charges and write a letter to them, especially as it's been several months since I've been in my overdraft and I'm in a much better financial position now this is a great windfall I can put to pay off the last of my other debt and top up my emergency fund. Thank you, definitely worth doing so!
  • Misleading Premier terminology complaint "Upheld"

Bank name: Barclays
    Amount reclaimed : All overdraft fees since 2013
    Amount paid: All 2018 Overdraft fees

In July 2019, a Barclays personal banker noticed that I did not have the 1k fee-free overdraft benefits of a Premier account, so he changed my "under the Premier banner" current account to an actual Premier account to make use of the £1,000 fee-free overdraft. He also refunded the last month of £40 overdraft charges.

So, I asked for the overdraft fees to be refunded from 2013 because I thought that I already had a Premier bank account from then. All of the letterheads I was getting previously said Premier, and all letters were addressed from Barclays Premier, yet they somehow expected me to know that I did not have a Premier account.

At first they denied my complaint by phone and in writing saying that my account was only "under the Premier banner". So I wrote to them. Last week Barclays phoned to again deny my complaint. They were not answering the questions in my letter, and I felt that I was being fobbed off. I said we should let the Ombudsman decide. I asked when the fee-free overdrafts first became available as they had ignored that question in my letter. They said they would find out and call back.

They rang back the same day (I took the call in the garden) and I was told that the first £1,000 of overdraft was first available fee-free with a Premier account from January 2017. They said that my complaint was being "Upheld". I don't know why they suddenly changed their mind. They only refunded the overdraft charges for the year 2018 though, so I feel as though I have been somewhat short-changed. On reflection I realise that the refund should really be from January 2017 when the fee-free overdrafts apparently first became available. How can they uphold my complaint but only partially refund ?

Why do Barclays have to phone customers, when surely complaints communications are much easier to recall and consider if they are all in writing. And also surely it is far easier to present complaints to the Ombudsman if all previous communications are in writing.

So if you only have a regular Barclays current account and have been receiving letters with 'Premier' letterheads and addressed from 'Barclays Premier', you may want to consider changing your account to an actual 1k fee-free overdraft Premier account, and claim all of the overdraft charges back from January 2017.
  • Hi sorry if this is in wrong area, I am not familiar with it this works yet. My question would be - since the banks etc are paying this ppi back, they are clearly admitting that it should not have been charged in the first place. So if a client has been charged overdraft charges for being overdrawn due to lack of funds should these charges be reclaimed or are these charges included in ppi reclaim ? Alan.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Lochman wrote: »
    Hi sorry if this is in wrong area, I am not familiar with it this works yet. My question would be - since the banks etc are paying this ppi back, they are clearly admitting that it should not have been charged in the first place. So if a client has been charged overdraft charges for being overdrawn due to lack of funds should these charges be reclaimed or are these charges included in ppi reclaim ? Alan.

Please do not make duplicate posts. Your question has been answered on the other thread.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback