Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 30th Nov 18, 11:53 AM
    • 3,550Posts
    • 6,354Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Older and fitter
    • 30th Nov 18, 11:53 AM
    Older and fitter 30th Nov 18 at 11:53 AM
    I've always done 'something' to keep fit (Pilates classes, yoga, walking), but 6 months ago joined a gym that really ticks all my boxes. I go three times a week, the trainer makes sure everyone's technique is good, suggests easier versions if you're struggling, but - and this is key - encourages/insists that you move up a level if you're able to.

This is what I needed!! No-one had ever told me before that I could lift more than the small pink 'girly' weights, and no-one had ever shown me how to do a proper press-up, or stood ready to catch me when I tried my first full-height box jump.

When I first joined the gym I was fit 'for my age' but I couldn't stand up to use the exercise bike, I couldn't (daren't) do a full-height box jump, I couldn't do a burpee, my running speed was pitiful, I couldn't do a plank... I could go on.

Now - well, I can do all of the above, and more. I can do 10 burpees in a row. My warm-up jogging is the speed that I was running flat-out at 6 months ago. And I can do a proper press-up, from the toes not the knees.

Some stats - I'm female, aged 58, resting heart rate of 72, max heart rate of 186 (for my age it should be 174), height 5'8", weight 9st 5lbs, BMI about 21. I haven't lost any weight - but I didn't need to or want to. I am however fitter and stronger than I've ever been, probably since my teens.

I've posted this for two reasons - one to show anyone who is a bit older and who's thinking about getting serious about getting fit that it can be done. And secondly to see if there's anyone else out there who's already doing it, so we could give a bit of mutual support.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 09-01-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Page 11
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 2nd Mar 19, 3:11 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I have very noisy knees but they give me no pain - that will probably come later. I do have recurring plantar fasciitis and have also had tendon problems - physio said it's caused by weak calves/ankles.
    My leg muscles just refuse to do any more/faster running after a while so I don't tend to be too achey afterwards. Sort of self limiting. The biggest impact is that my ribs tend to ache the next day from all the heavy breathing!
    My avatar is Kira - she is coming up for 9. I also have a fluffier black & white Malamute called Mack who is 5. They are too fast/strong to try and run with. DH tried it once but had to give up and grab a lamppost!!!
    They don't go off lead and are bred to pull so its a non-starter really.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 5th Mar 19, 7:05 AM
    • 10,008 Posts
    • 14,859 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I have very noisy knees but they give me no pain - that will probably come later. I do have recurring plantar fasciitis and have also had tendon problems - physio said it's caused by weak calves/ankles.
    My leg muscles just refuse to do any more/faster running after a while so I don't tend to be too achey afterwards. Sort of self limiting. The biggest impact is that my ribs tend to ache the next day from all the heavy breathing!
    My avatar is Kira - she is coming up for 9. I also have a fluffier black & white Malamute called Mack who is 5. They are too fast/strong to try and run with. DH tried it once but had to give up and grab a lamppost!!!
    They don't go off lead and are bred to pull so its a non-starter really.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I run with my dog off lead, I don't think that he would enjoy it as much on lead, and I know that I wouldn't enjoy it and I certainly wouldn't be able to train properly either. The only issue is that I have to avoid picnics during the warmer weather.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 5th Mar 19, 7:20 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 13,500 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Just popping in to say that I've started a free 7-day trial at the Nuffield (courtesy of my vodafone app).

I wrote up all the exercises I wanted to do in a little book and I felt it helped me get the most out of the session. I took your advice Trailing Spouse and made sure I warmed up - 10 mins on the treadmill and I was well warm. And I pasted my 'stretching worksheet' in the back of my book and so for the first time in history I completed a full stretching session after my workout. I was really surprised at how good the stretching felt.

I can certainly feel I've worked out today, but I'm not hurting anywhere. I was on a day off so was able to make the most of the facilities - quick couple of lengths afterwards and then, steam room, sauna and hot tub. Probably won't be able to manage that every time - my gym workout, including warm up/cool down, took around an hour - but that may get quicker as I get more familiar with the layout. And I did read somewhere that Sauna's are really good for longevity so now that my mom-taxi duties are no longer required I really don't have to rush off.

So far, I think this is the gym for me. It is a little bit further to travel, but there's so much space, good facilities and if I ever get bored of the gym there are loads of classes to try. Feeling very positive at the moment.

Completely Debt-free by April 2019 Jan 2019
    Flylady & Grocery Challenge Lurker
    Millionaire, Fashionista and Career Woman wannabe
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Mar 19, 10:24 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    still dreaming of the end of the 'Mom-taxi'. We are still at the scary stage of driving practice between lessons right now

I need to plan a day to try the gym I have my eye on.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 5th Mar 19, 11:10 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 13,500 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    We are still at the scary stage of driving practice between lessons right now
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I feel for you. I had to refuse in the end - it wasn't any good for either of us when I was gripping onto the door with both hands and I did try keeping my eyes shut but that wasn't really the point of me being there. I'm just not a very good passenger.

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Mar 19, 2:13 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 35,860 Thanks
    maddiemay
    trailingspouse - I hope that all is well with you?

Loving the dog pics, mine is a 9 year old tri-coloured border collie who hides every time a camera appears, hence the poor photo

I have shared my home with a Labrador, I remember the picnic scenario all too well

Still plodding on, had a few joint pain flares, but PT modified my sessions to suit and I am getting stronger. Osteopath today ironed out a few creaky bits, so hopefully a bit of a walk later and rest of week.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 6th Mar 19, 9:42 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 6,909 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I’ve never done sauna or steam room before joining a gym. Supersaver mentioned doing both after a work out - is that how one does it? I have started having a pampering day. Workout, swim, relax in the hot tub then do either the sauna or the steam room. Should I be really indulgent and do both?
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 8th Mar 19, 7:51 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 13,500 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Iíve never done sauna or steam room before joining a gym. Supersaver mentioned doing both after a work out - is that how one does it? I have started having a pampering day. Workout, swim, relax in the hot tub then do either the sauna or the steam room. Should I be really indulgent and do both?
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Hi bou, probably not. I was just trying everything out (and getting my money's worth of course ). I won't be able to do that every time but hope to find time for the gym, swim and sauna three times a week.

Your post made me think about it, thank you, so I had a quick look on the google. I think you have to be careful with the sauna straight after exercising, especially if you have heart problems. The Fins seem to advocate every day, but one study said you could use it 2-3 times a week for 15-20 mins and see good health benefits.

I'm not a huge fan of the steam room, but its supposed to be very good for your skin. And I'm not sure about the hot tub as well - but both haven't been working properly this week. I might try again when repaired and when I've got more time to relax. Although I think i might just prefer the sauna - there's got to be something in all those studies they've done.

• Arkers
    • By Arkers 13th Mar 19, 2:24 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 6,651 Thanks
    Arkers
    Hello everyone,

Went to an attack class today and discovered that one of the regulars has suddenly died. Such a shock, she was 56 years old

It really does highlight how short life can be, and how difficult it can be to strike the right balance between living for today whilst planning for tomorrow.

I have had a mixed couple of weeks exercise wise and must try harder to stick with it as I feel better when I do.

Lovely pic of your dog MM. My DH would love a collie or similar.

Arkers x
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Mar 19, 11:17 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am still plodding along at run club. They are very keen on people entering events but I am holding out for my first 10k on May Day. One couple in my group had done the Axe Valley Grizzly on Sunday and were doing Reading half marathon this week. I have a loooong way to go before that sort of malarkey!
    I was sent info about DD's school starting adult swimming lessons on Sundays so I have 'dived in' and sent them an email. I can swim breast stroke very efficiently, if slowly, but have never mastered crawl. I would never get fit with breast stroke - it hardly raises the heart rate. Given that our council has closed all the local pools this is an opportunity as it is only a 20 min walk away. I will see what they come back with as I said I was open to 1:1, 1:2 or adult group if there were others with the same aims.
    A friend does open water swimming and I have agreed, after quite a lot of wine, to try it once. Sounds cold to me although they will hire me a swim wet suit.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 30th Mar 19, 4:36 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    I’m 55 and three years ago I had to give up long distance running due to discomfort in my knees. I still long to do a 10km run through the New Forest, or across local countryside, but I fear for my knees. I don’t know how people do marathons.

So almost three years ago I took up ice skating, and then a year later ice hockey. I do 3-4 hours hockey and 3-4 hours public skating a week. It is seriously good fun. Sometimes youngsters will complain after a shift on the ice, so I tell them they can do something about their fitness, but I can’t change my age. A fellow player recommended I do squats so I went to a gym using a work membership, and now do one hour a week with a trainer and some time on my own. The stretches and weights have significantly improved my balance on the ice. Apparently core strength is key to skating. I am fitter than I have ever been. Apparently many of the effects of aging are due to inactivity and can be stopped or reversed by taking exercise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,930Posts Today

6,291Users online

Martin's Twitter