Cineworld unlimited card

Hope this is right place for this.....
I have had a cineworld unlimited card since 2012 with a short break last year . I’m a pensioner my daughter is seriously ill and I’m acting as carer . As a result am unable to go to cinema I haven’t been since October and last month stopped payment as I can no longer afford it . What I didn’t know was I had entered a 12 month contract when i restarted membership last year . I have had an email threatening my account being passed to a debt collection agency and being banned from having a card again. So I rang them up to see if I could suspend membership for 3 months they initially said no then said they would need proof if my daughters illness in the form of a hospital appointment letter. Not keen to do this as an invasion of her privacy also data protection issues . Had no clue I was in a contract although guess it was in the small print but it’s not like I’m getting anything in return for my money and I’ve paid for 3 months had nothing! What should I do ?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 February 2019 at 12:23PM
    Either send them proof, redacting any info that is too personal, or write them a letter, to the ceo, or complaints dept, or whoever you can find who is in a position higher than a call center op, pointing out years of being a loyal customer, circumstances dictate you stopping etc etc.
    You might get more help on the consumer rights board.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    They do make it clear that this is an annual card which you can pay for on the drip monthly or as a lump sum

(And that they will pursue customers who are over a month late with the monthly payment)

So their offer to allow you a suspension looks a good one!
  • bland
    bland Posts: 18
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes these are annual passes that are generally paid for monthly. It should have been clear when taking it out but do appreciate the amount of blurb that comes up on these things. They have no obligation to do anything so their offer of suspending is generous and I would send the required documents with maybe a few details hidden to avoid unnecessary data being provided.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bland wrote: »
    Yes these are annual passes that are generally paid for monthly. It should have been clear when taking it out but do appreciate the amount of blurb that comes up on these things. They have no obligation to do anything so their offer of suspending is generous and I would send the required documents with maybe a few details hidden to avoid unnecessary data being provided.

I suspect the OP has got it sorted by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure