Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • castle96
    • By castle96 11th Jan 19, 1:06 PM
    • 1,828Posts
    • 321Thanks
    castle96
    Spare wheel
    • 11th Jan 19, 1:06 PM
    Spare wheel 11th Jan 19 at 1:06 PM
    While looking for a 'new' car.....
    Am I right that most newish cars do not come with a spare wheel ?, not even one of those silly little ones. Some mention "tyre inflation kit", but no spare wheel. So what are you supposed to do when you get a puncture?
Page 2
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Jan 19, 10:16 AM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    sevenhills
    While looking for a 'new' car.....
    Am I right that most newish cars do not come with a spare wheel ?, not even one of those silly little ones. Some mention "tyre inflation kit", but no spare wheel. So what are you supposed to do when you get a puncture?
    Originally posted by castle96

Drivers now also have the option of calling a mobile tyre fitter, over 90% of drivers carry a mobile phone.

Halfords or any other tyre conpany will fit new tyres at your home or workplace, or at the roadside.

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Jan 19, 10:25 AM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    Car 54
    Drivers now also have the option of calling a mobile tyre fitter, over 90% of drivers carry a mobile phone.
    Originally posted by sevenhills

It may be difficult to believe, but drivers were able to call breakdown companies, garages, tyre fitters etc. long before mobile phones were invented.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Jan 19, 10:30 AM
    • 6,305 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    LeeUK

Halfords or any other tyre conpany will fit new tyres at your home or workplace, or at the roadside.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Rather keep a spare in the back and have it swapped over in 5 minutes then get the tyre fixed/replaced at my leisure. When did we become so lazy that we have to rely on mobile tyre fitters to change a wheel?
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    • 8,008 Posts
    • 6,584 Thanks
    daveyjp
    It's all about cost and weight saving to reduce emissions.

I've never had a flat tyre and thought 'what a really convenient time for that to happen'!

My last was over Christmas three years ago while we were on holiday. The tyre which only done 9,000 miles. Nail in it. Had I used the gunk getting the tyre clean would have been a messy job and some garages refuse so it would be new tyre time 100+.

As it was spare on, puncture repaired and the tyre is still good 30,000 miles later.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Jan 19, 11:14 AM
    • 2,984 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    gardner1
    OP just tell them you want a spare tyre and jack in with the price of car.......if they say no take your custom elsewhere
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 2,984 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    gardner1
    Rather keep a spare in the back and have it swapped over in 5 minutes then get the tyre fixed/replaced at my leisure. When did we become so lazy that we have to rely on mobile tyre fitters to change a wheel?
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Because you can guarantee when the recovery truck tows you to nearest tyre centre........if open it will be way more expensive for a single tyre if new needed compared to shopping around at your convenience
    I would rather carry a spare and change it myself.......or if wet and windy i will phone breakdown company
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 12th Jan 19, 11:25 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    greatgimpo

If not possible, phone your breakdown recovery.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Assuming you've a mobile signal in the middle of the woods at 3am in the pouring rain.
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 12th Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    keith1950
    I'm not bothered about the extra weight or cost....making sure I'm prepared for any eventuality is more important to me.
    I can be back on the road in 10 minutes rather then sat in a layby somewhere waiting for a breakdown company to eventually get to me.
    As I said earlier, a spare is normally an option and the new car salesmen should give you the opportunity to get one.
    Are people so excited when buying a new car that they forget what's important.
    The inflation kits are next to useless and as someone said earlier some garages won't get involved in cleaning out all the gunk so you'll need a new tyre anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,684Posts Today

6,545Users online

Martin's Twitter