Spare wheel

Options
castle96
castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
While looking for a 'new' car.....
Am I right that most newish cars do not come with a spare wheel ?, not even one of those silly little ones. Some mention "tyre inflation kit", but no spare wheel. So what are you supposed to do when you get a puncture?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If possible, reinflate it using the reinflation kit - compressor plus goop for minor leaks.

If not possible, phone your breakdown recovery. Which, let's face it, is what most people do even with a spare.

How often do you have punctures? Don't think I've had one in a decade. Oh, wait. SWMBO had one in the last year or so after hitting something, probably a pothole. Don't hit things.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pay the extra £100 or so they ask for a temporary spare.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    Options
    If buying 2nd hand from say Availablecar. No spare or kit mentioned so where would you get a full size or even the little one. If you ring the AA what would they do? They don't carry a wheel to fit every car. I have always had older cars with a full size spare. Confused
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    How often do you have punctures? Don't think I've had one in a decade.

I've had two in the last year - one was 100% vandalism (tyre slashed) the other a screw in the tyre.

Both times I had to call out a breakdown service as the re-inflation kits didn't work.

I'm now looking for a spare wheel and cage from a scrapper.
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    castle96 wrote: »
    If buying 2nd hand from say Availablecar. No spare or kit mentioned so where would you get a full size or even the little one. If you ring the AA what would they do? They don't carry a wheel to fit every car. I have always had older cars with a full size spare. Confused

Actually the AA do carry a spare with special brackets to fit most wheels, fit a temp tyre and then follow you to the nearest tyre centre
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They also carry a front wheels off the ground towing dolly folded up in the back of the van.

Loads of spare wheel kits on ebay, a nice little line from scrappies, loads come out of boots brand new and unused.
  • snnl
    snnl Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I've changed tyres on several cases, with a lot of effort/sweat because in most cases the wheel nuts get stuck and there is no shifting them for love nor money with the tiny wheel wrench they provide in the boot! Had to call the AA out to assist.

One time i was lucky to pull in to a garage and they simply loosened it with a proper tyre iron/hydraulic impact wrench it was on that tight, then left me to do the rest :).

I think car makers know this and simply just don't include them as they know people simply call for assistance.

Luckily on my last cars (fiesta and ibiza) I've had a space saver and a full size included and would always prefer to have one as I prefer to change it myself if i can! Cant go wrong with having it as an option.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Recently replaced both my and the GF's cars and both of them came with an 'inflation kit' in the spare wheel space. 10 mins and £80 later and I had 2 brand new spare wheels and tool kits ordered and delivered a few days later.

Stupid that cars don't come with them these days but not exactly a big deal to get your own if the car has somewhere to put a spare.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »

Stupid that cars don't come with them these days but not exactly a big deal to get your own if the car has somewhere to put a spare.
    That is an issue, many cars do not have space to fit a full size spare. :money:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    That is an issue, many cars do not have space to fit a full size spare. :money:

I have a Volvo C30 and the missus a Fiat 500 and they both have a spot for a space saver only. My old Mini cooper S had nothing but it had god awful run flat tyres.

I used to have a Smart car though and that had no space for it either. if you bought a spare as an optional extra it was just dumped in the boot space with a strap.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family