I may have went on a several hour drive in the dark with just sidelights on. Q about penalty points

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    I would be more concerned about your eyesight if you didn`t realise your headlights were not on.

We drove alongside a driver a few nights ago with no lights on, countless people tried to get his attention to turn them on but he was oblivious to everything going on. We thought a car in front of him had put on their rear fog to get his attention, but this was left on even after the other car had turned off. Odd what people don't notice :/
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Any examples of those with rear DRLs?

Yes our SEAT Arona has the rear lights illuminated permanently when running. Also the dash lighting goes dim as ambient light falls so as to give an indication that the lights need to be turned on.

My MK4 MX-5 has the rear lights illuminated when engine running and handbrake off.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Deanston wrote: »
    The correct answer is he's unlikely to be done but what's preventing prosecution?

Given that the OP has expressed unwarranted concern about their position, this probably isn't very helpful.

There is no mechanism for a prosecution for driving with inappropriate lighting on a vehicle other than by a Police stop at the time of the offence, followed by a notice issued by those same Police at the time of the stop.
    The[y] have six months to deal with it.
    6 Months from the notice of prosecution that the OP has not received?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Am I right in thinking it's not illegal to drive in the night with only sidelights so long as you're under street lights? They won't have CCTV cameras in the country....

You'll be fine.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking it's not illegal to drive in the night with only sidelights so long as you're under street lights?

Yes.

We can start another huge argument about whether it is helps the other road users who don't have massively intense glaring light sources to be seen if cars drove on perfectly visible sidelights when the streetlighting is good now. ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking it's not illegal to drive in the night with only sidelights so long as you're under street lights?

Only in the UK of course.

Legal - yes, but I would consider it very dangerous these days as most drivers would expect a moving car to be showing much more light than side-lights.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    One of the most common things I notice, not when dark, but in fog or poor visibility when it would be sensible to use all lights including dipped headlights and probably rear for light, are driver's with only their daytime fairy light on.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    You don't need headlights on a road with lit streetlighting.
    In a 30 limit. In a NSL and on a motorway you do.

If someone cannot tell they've not got their headlights on, especially in the dark, they need their license taken off them. They clearly don't take any notice of the indication light on the dashboard that tells you whether you have the dip or high beam on nor take any notice of the fact there's not a pool of light on the road ahead.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One of the most common things I notice, not when dark, but in fog or poor visibility when it would be sensible to use all lights including dipped headlights and probably rear for light, are driver's with only their daytime fairy light on.

Do you mean when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).

I think its daft when people have their headlights on, when they are not needed.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Options

So you actually notice them more than the ones with runway landing lights?

Isn't that supporting the idea that huge amounts of lights are not necessary to be seen?

I'm sick of the arms race that means as soon as it gets dark, and a little drizzly all I can see is pinpoints of intense glare.

All the numpty pedestrians clad in black, the potholes and debris in the road is just invisible.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure