The simple life

Options
Tink_04
Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
edited 27 April 2019 at 8:16PM in Debt free diaries
I have debated a lot about starting a diary. I love reading others and have got so much inspiration and tips at times and it really keeps me motivated with my own debt busting! So I thought I'd jump in with my thoughts, debt payments and daily life journey!

The debt I have is manageable for now but I want to pay as much as I can off this year as I may not be working for much longer. I have been in really bad unmanageable debt before and had my LBM and cleared a lot but since moving house things have been sneaking back up and I don't want to be in the same position as I was a few years ago. I have learnt a lot from this site and we have borrowed as sensibly as possible but it totals more than I would like to have and our savings are down to the bare bones (example of this is the loan as our boiler broke and we had to take this out for a new one)

So here it is ...

• Store card £245
• Loan £1696.34
• purchase £583.24
• CC £2239.93
• OD £500

Total - £5289.51

The loan and the OD are the only things that are not 0% I have been paying the store card off 1st as the 0% runs out next month so want to clear that off so I can focus on a the loan.

It is me, DH, DD & DS at home and we have been plodding along nicely. The debt is not out of control (yet) but I'm aware that things may be changing soon and it would be better if these were all gone.

My bills have been thinned right down, I have just cancelled our TV package as was going to go up and the offers were rubbish. I refuse to pay that much for TV when there is nothing on. I have just received a CHQ for £25 for switching G&E and my car insurance is due next month so may get some more cash back depending who I go with. This has been my first task to make sure our budget is in good shape.

I also love the OS board and cooking and shopping from scratch although I need to get my meal planning mojo back as this is great for saving money, if I'm not going to be working I want to be able to look after us as well as possible and cook, eat & shop better.

Having a relaxing weekend as the kids are exhausted from the 1st week back at school after the holidays. Hoping for a NSD tomorrow as have mince in so may make a pasta bake for tea and do sandwiches or 'picnic' stuff for lunch to use up some bits in the fridge.

Will be back to update some plans soon :rotfl:

Tink
Living the simple life

Comments

• Tink_04
    edited 27 April 2019 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Ok got all my pots sorted out so kids dinner money & shopping money is all separated. I try to keep my cash pots in a jar so I draw it out and then I just have what I need at hand.

I've been paying £10 - £20 off of the store card when I can round my account up so I have made good head way with this so far. I get paid quite sporadically throughout the month so try to budget and skim best I can.

Had kids to swimming lessons tonight, everyone was tired so I'm going to have an early night with them too!

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello - I love how organised you sound! I find that very inspiring!

Will be a good psychological boost to pay off the store card and then pay off the overdraft! Or will you focus on the credit card? I guess the one with the highest interest? Do you have a debt free date in mind?

Wishing you well! Good luck!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Hi Pidge,

Thanks for stopping by! The store card will be the first to go as the 0% runs out next month - then will be the loan or OD as the CC & Purchase is 0% for now.

I'd love to be DF by the end of the year but don't know what will happen with work so will have to see how far I get at the moment, I suppose anything I over pay is a bonus.

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • EsmeWeatherwax
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your diary, I'm looking forward to cheering you along!
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Hi!

What a lovely day it has been! We have had gorgeous weather - the washing is drugging on the line and I have been planting seeds with the kids in the garden.

Had toad in the hole for lunch today instead of a roast dinner as had loads of sausages, it was lovely and I have a mini one for the freezer :)

I paid £25 from the store card but it's not showing yet so will update figures probably tomorrow. I have also put £2.80 in my 1p challenge pot, I don't do it in order and just add what change I have and mark it off - I probably only have £22 ish or 32 payments out of 366 as I started late but i hope I can catch up.

Later I will try to make a meal plan for next week but I'm enjoying a cuppa in the garden for now :)

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Tink :) Good luck with your diary and getting rid of the debt. I've subscribed to your diary and will be tagging along on your journey if that's OK. xx
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Thanks Esme & Teafor2! It's nice knowing I have some support :)

Well today has been a slow day.... kids to school, load of washing down and hung out on the line, picked up a prescription and pottered around the house just tidying up.

My over payments have shown so £45 off the SC, this brings it down to £200 with a month to clear it so this will be my main focus!

Updated my banking spread sheets and had all meals from stores today. It has been a NSD which is good :)

We are going on holiday next week so running down the fridge and using up what we have as much as possible. I will have to buy food to take with us but this well just count as next weeks shopping funds. We are self catering so will buy some bits to take with us, especially for the kids for snacks!

Added more to my 1p a day box so I am catching up, I'm hoping I can cash it in to the bank before Xmas if I just keep chucking all my change (and any other pennies I come across) into my tub. My bank had a change machine so I can just empty the tub into it when it's full, I'm hoping it will help towards Xmas.

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • canaryfeather
    Options
    Best of luck Tink!
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Thanks CanaryFeather!

Not been the best day today :( kids were at school but I've been poorly so had a day on the sofa. I'm really surprised as I cancelled the sky and we have not missed it at all! I thought I would have struggled today but found a box set on 4 catch up.

Stopped and picked the kids a pizza up for tea as I couldn't face cooking or the mess so it was a £3.00 spend. Think I will have an early night tonight.

Not much happening on the money front today balances are still the same, me and DH we're talking about paying the loan off with some savings we have :) it will wipe us out totally so will have to see what position we are in next month but I was surprised he is thinking that way so it's nice he is on board.

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Tink, sorry to read you're under the weather :( hope you're feeling better soon.

I don't watch a lot of TV and hubby deals with our packages. Sometimes I turn the TV on and can watch a film, other times they're all blanked out :rotfl: He does tell me but I'm not that interested, so it goes in one ear and straight out of the other.

It certainly helps if you're on the same page as your OH, even if they're only on line 1 and you've nearly finished :D I have a CC that I've been wanting rid of for months and we had the cash but hubby wanted to keep hold of it just in case. Glad we did, we've spent a good £5k on things since Xmas, although a funeral was included in that :( But I did get a "see, I was right wasn't I" comment from him. It's going in July though so I shall be a very happy bunny.

Hope you manage to get rid of the SC, that will be a great boost for you. xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure