Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 12:02 PM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - £2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 92
    • Zammo76
    • By Zammo76 23rd Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Zammo76
    I'm in the process of appealing my Council Tax banding. And have just received a nasty threatening letter from the Council Tax banding douchbags saying that they arn't willing to change my banding and are now looking at properties in my street (which I bought to their attention) as they think they need to increase their bandings to. However my property has been apparently valued by them as being worth between £120,000 to £160,000 in 1991, despite the fact it sold in 1996 for £110,000, which I pointed out to them.

The only thing I think which could be altering the valuation in the Council Tax blokes eyes is that the property has had a single story extension (probably around 2008). So my question is: Is the 1991 valuation of the property based on the property as it was in that years sale price or the property as it was now (with a single story extension) price in 1991?

Either way I really don't think a single story extension would have raised the value of the property by enough to push it to more than £120,000 in 1991's house prices.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The only thing I think which could be altering the valuation in the Council Tax blokes eyes is that the property has had a single story extension (probably around 2008). So my question is: Is the 1991 valuation of the property based on the property as it was in that years sale price or the property as it was now (with a single story extension) price in 1991?

Either way I really don't think a single story extension would have raised the value of the property by enough to push it to more than £120,000 in 1991's house prices.
    Originally posted by Zammo76
    The CT band should reflect the physical state of the property at the date of the last sale, so if you bought the property with the extension already there, it should be reflected in the band. Also in many areas, 1996 property prices were still below 1991 values.

Finally, there is no need to use insulting language about people who are doing their job, even if you disagree with their opinion
    • BucksMum
    • By BucksMum 27th Jul 18, 12:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BucksMum
    Council - Buckinghamshire
    Previous band - F
    Current band - E
    Refund - £6,095.00

After watching Martin on This Morning back in March I looked into our council band, I always thought we were in a higher band due to being detached. Our lane consists of 12 very different properties and the ones that were banded F were alot larger than our cottage. We emailed the valuation office and they came back to us saying they needed more evidence. We sent a further email showing the difference in the other F banded properties to ours and local cottages nearer our size that were band E. They replied with a letter stating they would look into our case and a couple of months later we received a letter saying our cottage had been rebanded to band E and our total refund for the last 21 years was just over £6k. We received our refund from Bucks County Council about 3 weeks later. I'm so glad I switched on the tele that morning!!! Thanks Martin !!!
    • SoftJohn
    • By SoftJohn 29th Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SoftJohn
    We were in a similar situation as you as our bungalow was built in 1983. We purchased it, from a builder who designed and built it himself, so it is unique. We had to find other properties that had the same specifications as ours. We needed get as many properties as we could and as much data as was available used our knowledge of the village, Zoopla, the Valuation Office Agency and the MSE Price/Tax band calculator.
    We constructed a spreadsheet consisting 11 columns: - House Number, Road Name, Type of house, Number of bedrooms, Bathrooms, Reception rooms, Date Sold, Sale Price, Estimated 1991 price, Current Tax Band and Suggested Tax Band. From our knowledge of the village and Zoopla we found out the information for the first eight column. From the Valuation Office website, we obtained the Current Tax band and from the MSE website the Estimated 1991 Sale Price and Suggested Tax Band. We did this for over 60 properties in the village. Half of them looked like they were in the correct band but the other half were like ours, one band too high. Some of the 25 or so remaining did not have the same accommodation as ours so we ignored them The remaining 18 we used as evidence which we passed on to the Valuation Office. We have been successful and our band was reduced from G to F. We do not know if this type of evidence would be acceptable if you are contemplating an appeal.
    • SoftJohn
    • By SoftJohn 10th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SoftJohn
    Success at last

Local Borough Council: North Somerset
    Council Tax Band Before: G
    Council Tax Band After: F
    Amount refunded: £6533.71
    Annual saving going forward: £372.00
    • Northstand
    • By Northstand 19th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Northstand
    Success but sting in tail 10 years later
    We successfully challenged our council tax banding in Feb 2008 from band b to band a, we got a letter from valuation office to say matter was closed. Imagine our shock when in June 2018 the valuation office contacted us to say based on evidence from after our appeal date Feb 2008 they were overturning the decision from 2008 and reinstating our house in band b. We have been accused of financially benefiting from lower council tax, were this leaves at the moment we are UN sure. So anybody who has successfully challenged there banding there may be a sting in the tail
    • CIS
    • By CIS 19th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    CIS
    We successfully challenged our council tax banding in Feb 2008 from band b to band a, we got a letter from valuation office to say matter was closed. Imagine our shock when in June 2018 the valuation office contacted us to say based on evidence from after our appeal date Feb 2008 they were overturning the decision from 2008 and reinstating our house in band b. We have been accused of financially benefiting from lower council tax, were this leaves at the moment we are UN sure. So anybody who has successfully challenged there banding there may be a sting in the tail
    Originally posted by Northstand

Any extra Council Tax will become due from when the band increase has been dated, for any period (if any) where the property remains in the lower band then the council tax charge remains due at that lower band.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 19th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    We have been accused of financially benefiting from lower council tax, were this leaves at the moment we are UN sure. So anybody who has successfully challenged there banding there may be a sting in the tail
    Originally posted by Northstand
    Who has accused you?

Increasing a band after a reduction has been agreed does happen, although not very often and rarely after a period of 10 years. Usually it is blatantly obvious that the reduction should have never have happened
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 19-08-2018 at 2:02 PM.
    • MM14
    • By MM14 20th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MM14
    Local Borough Council: East Renfrewshire
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded:£6148
    Annual saving going forward: £300

First challenged the band in April 2017 but was told because we had been in the property since before 1993 they said we had 6 months from the date Council Tax started and that we did not have a claim. We wrote a letter of appeal and through numerous phone calls and waiting 17 months for it to come up for appeal - we had a visit from the assessor who had done his homework and agreed that it had been a mistake and that they would be lowering the band to a band D. So please don’t give up when they initially say you don’t qualify , be nice and patient but be firm and say you want to go to an appeal hearing. 25years of back payments on the way Woohoo
    • AvidSaver
    • By AvidSaver 1st Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    AvidSaver
    Council Tax Tribunal
    When I appealed my daughter's council tax banding, as I felt it should be band B (currently band C), it was refused. However I feel strongly and have taken the route of presenting at a tribunal (1/11/18). Have other members been successful with council tax rebanding after a tribunal? My daughter's flat is effectively a new build (the building started it's life as an office building but has recently been converted to flats).
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Sep 18, 2:12 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    When I appealed my daughter's council tax banding, as I felt it should be band B (currently band C), it was refused. However I feel strongly and have taken the route of presenting at a tribunal (1/11/18). Have other members been successful with council tax rebanding after a tribunal? My daughter's flat is effectively a new build (the building started it's life as an office building but has recently been converted to flats).
    Originally posted by AvidSaver
    Whether you are successful or not will usually depend upon the strength of the evidence you present and also the strength of the evidence presented by the VOA.
  • archived user
    Resolved Thanks for help.
    Last edited by aliscribe; 18-09-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Privacy
    • CIS
    • By CIS 13th Sep 18, 7:11 PM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    CIS
    It comes across like they've basically said 'We've lowered it for you now go away'.

Unless there's been some sort of change that has affected the value (like a major physical change to the location or it was previously adjusted on sale due to an extension etc) then any error correction to the band should be backdated all the way to 1993 (2003 in Wales) as they're admitting it is in the wrong band. The VOA don't have the discretion in error correction cases to pick and choose the dates.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • archived user
    Resolved. Thanks for help.
    Last edited by aliscribe; 18-09-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Privacy
    • CIS
    • By CIS 13th Sep 18, 10:59 PM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    CIS
    I am also confused that they are using the square footage of the house as a basis for the high banding. I thought it was the value of the house that was the only consideration?
    The size of the property would feed in to the valuation and hence the banding - a larger house tends to be worth more and thus in a relative higher band (the location of the property etc also feeds in to it).

I do find it very strange that there is a time limit on their offer. It feels like they are treating us like ambulance chasers and by offering us a small sum of money and an ongoing reduction that we will scrabble for the dosh and run! Not happening
    The VOA will only set the dates - whatever money comes back from it is down to the council.

Do you think we could use this at point of appeal? i.e. Suggest that as they have offered to reduce the banding now, that it should be reduced back to the original banding date?

Assuming you're in England ? If so,

It's a funny one - this isn't directly my area of work so I've never had to argue this specific point for a tribunal (I usually work in the area of council tax discounts, exemptions etc) - but I have looked at the consolidated legislation and it appears that where the VOA have gone ahead and altered the list it could be appealed. Either they have stumbled across a banding error by chance or a neighbour has appealed and they've looked at the other properties.

The second point is whether or not, as your band is now 'correct', whether you have the right to dispute the date they have used where it doesn't affect you if it is incorrect.Are you "a billing authority or an interested person" for this circumstance is what needs to be considered - an 'owner', which you are, is an interested party so it would seem that you do have the right to dispute it.

The VOA's own guidance, as per legislation, shows that an error in the list that has been present since 1993 should be backdated to April 1993.
  • archived user
    Last edited by aliscribe; 18-09-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Privacy
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Sep 18, 2:16 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I used to work for the VOA who do the same job as the Assessor in England and Wales. There are differences between the English and Scottish CT systems and between the working practices of the VOA and Assessor.

What the Assessor is suggesting seems odd. As CIS has said, unless there has been a recent physical change to the property or the location, the effective date of the band reduction should be 1 Apr 1993. It may be that the Scottish system allows backdating to a later date, so I would suggest you ask the Assessor why he is only backdating to the date of you first occupying the property.

A borderline case is where some evidence suggests a property's value sits at the top of a band and some at the bottom of the next higher band. Or there is insufficient evidence to positively say which band a property should be in.
  • archived user
    Last edited by aliscribe; 18-09-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Privacy
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Sep 18, 2:14 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    He says it is because the house is part of a terrace.

He also mentions that 1 person thinks the band should be lowered and 2 don't, so he's lowering the band now as a 'concession'

I'm a little confused by this to be honest, because surely if it is reduced now, it should always have been in a lower band.
    Originally posted by aliscribe
    Perhaps it may be prudent to accept the Assessor's offer and not rock the boat
    • CIS
    • By CIS 16th Sep 18, 3:12 PM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    CIS
    The scottish regs appear to be similar to England and Wales. Reg 4(b)(i) of the The Council Tax (Alteration of Lists and Appeals) (Scotland) Regulations 1993 would seem to be initial regulation allowing the correction to take place.
    Restrictions on alteration of valuation bands

4.—(1) No alteration shall be made of a valuation band shown in the list as applicable to any dwelling unless—

(a)since the valuation band was first shown in the list as applicable to the dwelling—

(i)there has been a material increase in the value of the dwelling and it, or any part of it, has subsequently been sold; or

(ii)subject to paragraph (2), there has been a material reduction in the value of the dwelling;

(b)the local assessor is satisfied that—

(i)a different valuation band should have been determined by him as applicable to the dwelling; or

(ii)the valuation band shown in the list is not that determined by him as so applicable;

(c)the assessor has, under Schedule 5 to the Act, added, amended or deleted an apportionment note relating to any lands and heritages included in the valuation roll; or

(d)there has been a successful appeal under the Act against the valuation band shown in the list.
    Reg 18(1) would appear to be analogous to it's England and Wales equivalent and provide that an error correction should apply back to the point the entry was initially made to the list.
    Effective date for alterations—corrections

18.—(1) Any alteration of the list effected so as to show, in respect of a dwelling, the correct valuation band applicable to the dwelling on the day on which the dwelling was first shown on the list shall have effect from that day.

(2) Any alteration of the list effected so as to correct an inaccuracy resulting from an earlier alteration which was—

(a)intended to reflect a material increase or material reduction in the value of a dwelling; or

(b)a consequence of the assessor, under Schedule 5 to the Act, adding, amending or deleting an apportionment note relating to any lands and heritages included in the valuation roll,

shall have effect from the effective date of that earlier alteration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

3,866Users online

Martin's Twitter