Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Emjayf
    • By Emjayf 13th Sep 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JSA/Universal Credit help
    • #1
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:17 PM
    JSA/Universal Credit help 13th Sep 18 at 7:17 PM
    Hi all. The other day I was made redundant from my job of 20 years. The company folded so I have already applied for the redundancy fund from the Insolvency Service. That, however may take several weeks and I have no income for bills etc.

    Me and my wife (who is too ill, with long term illnesses, to work) went to Citizen's Advice, who were wonderful, and they said to us that we need to apply for the new style Contribution based Job Seekers Allowance and NOT Universal Credit. We should stay away from that.

    However this is so difficult to organise, I rang up a phone number about it. The phone number told us we need to apply online. But online told us to phone up the service! Argggh! Round and round and we are more confused, depressed, snappy than when we started!

    We rent from the council, and rang them to inform them to get help I need to first have unemployment benefit!

    Tomorrow we are going to the job centre to try and get some help. But I really don't expect much help, just more fobbing off.

    Obviously the best ideal would be a new job. But until then do we ignore advice and go with Universal Credit? (We have no savings, so that won't affect it) Or do we try and find how to get contribution based JSA. If so, how?!

    Thank you all
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 5,640 Posts
    • 9,736 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    Sorry, but you need to post this on the benefits board. The people who can best advise you may not see it here.
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 14th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 7,377 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    In some areas they have all ready changed to universal credit depends where you live but hopefully they will have told you at the jobcentre
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Sep 18, 7:12 PM
    • 17,552 Posts
    • 44,372 Thanks
    • #4
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:12 PM
    • #4
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:12 PM
    Have you checked your postcode and the contact numbers on here?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • zozan
    • By zozan 15th Sep 18, 12:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #5
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:49 AM
    • #5
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:49 AM
    Universal Credit is a social security benefit in the United Kingdom introduced in 2013 to replace six means-tested benefits and tax credits: income based Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, income based Employment and Support Allowance and Income Support.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,612Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie?

  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights?

  • Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week?

  • Follow Martin