Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Ryan
    • By MSE Ryan 4th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 35Thanks
    MSE Ryan
    First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal
    • 4th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal 4th Jan 17 at 2:58 PM
    Hi guys, we're featuring a new exclusive offer on the site that whilst perhaps not being suitable for everyone, we feel might be a good deal for some of you;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#firstdirect

First Direct
    New. Free £125 cash & rated no.1 for customer service

Newbies to First Direct* can now, via our link, get £125 to switch to it (£100 direct). It has excellent customer service !!!8211; it's won every bank service poll we've ever done, with 91% of its customers rating it 'great' !!!8211; only 3% said they got poor service. You also get a small £250 0% overdraft, and can open a linked 5% regular saver.

Need-to-knows
    To get the £125 switching bonus, you need to use First Direct's switching service to fully switch and close your existing account and pay in at least £1,000 within three months of your account opening.
    Once you've made the payment, the £125 is credited to your account within 28 working days.
    This account has a £10 monthly fee, but this is waived each month you either pay in £1,000, have an average monthly balance of £1,000 or hold selected other accounts with First Direct.
    You can't get the switching bonus if you've ever held an account with First Direct before.
    First Direct shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with HSBC, so ensure you don't hold more than £75,000 across the two banks.

You can find the rest of the need to know information via the above link.

If you have any problems with the switching process, you can contact First Direct's account opening team on 0800 24 24 24.

If you're still struggling, you can post on this thread, below, or reach us via direct email on: voucherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com
    MSE Ryan

User Relations Manager
Page 8
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 28th May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Anyone been sucessful with this one *without* having to phone them?

I had a First Direct account a few years ago, but could never do anything useful with it as they wanted me to use phone banking. That account "expired" and I tried again about a year ago. Got my debit card through but was unable to setup online banking without phoning them, so I assume that one will go the same way as the first?

I suppose I could use the account as a donor to switch with?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 29th May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    RG2015
    Anyone been sucessful with this one *without* having to phone them?

I had a First Direct account a few years ago, but could never do anything useful with it as they wanted me to use phone banking. That account "expired" and I tried again about a year ago. Got my debit card through but was unable to setup online banking without phoning them, so I assume that one will go the same way as the first?

I suppose I could use the account as a donor to switch with?
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    First Direct currently carry out a telephone interview before opening a current account for anyone. Thereafter it is your choice whether you use telephone banking or just stick to online banking.
    • Brewer20
    • By Brewer20 31st May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Brewer20
    For those that have just joined First Direct, you can log in and view or even carry out your general banking without having to use another device/app to generate a secure password, just click the option on the right side log on without your secure key then enter required details which you would have set up. That's via a PC/laptop, if using a device (FD app) you need to set that up with a separate log on (secure key) to use, this also acts as a secure key generator too, look on the FD webpage it explains how it all works.
    You don't need to generate a secure key everytime you log in as above, only when you want to pay someone new whether it be a new bank account or pay a bill for the first time etc. Once you've set up a payment and sent it you will not need to generate a new secure key each time.
    I've been with FD for many years, and do banking daily, it's easy but secure, they are looking after your money, unlike another bank more recently in the news, I'm with them too.

On to Nationwide, someone mentioned having to use a card reader there everytime to log in, not true you can log in by just enetering your pass number and memorable info if you just click on the relevent part in the log in process. Again like FD you need to generate a secure key or pass number but this time via the card reader if setting up a first time payment to another bank or association, after that it's not needed, mines been sat in the drawer and only needed if setting up new payments etc, I can move money around pay in/pay out without it, again they are protecting your money better than some others.
    Last edited by Brewer20; 31-05-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 31st May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    OceanSound
    On to Nationwide, someone mentioned having to use a card reader there everytime to log in, not true you can log in by just enetering your pass number and memorable info if you just click on the relevent part in the log in process.
    Originally posted by Brewer20
    Are you sure they weren't talking about the Nationwide FULL logon (the logon needed for setting up new payment etc.) That someone probably used the basic logon normally.

BTW: Have a look at page 7 of this thread, if you're not sure who mentioned it.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 31st May 18, 1:11 PM
    • 7,429 Posts
    • 8,000 Thanks
    eskbanker
    BTW: Have a look at page 7 of this thread, if you're not sure who mentioned it.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    FYI: referring to a page number will only work if the reader happens to have their page size set to the same as you! The control panel offers options of 5/10/20/30/40 posts per page, so those using 40 posts per page won't have 7 pages of this thread and for others it'll refer to different subsets of posts....
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 31st May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    OceanSound
    FYI: referring to a page number will only work if the reader happens to have their page size set to the same as you! The control panel offers options of 5/10/20/30/40 posts per page, so those using 40 posts per page won't have 7 pages of this thread and for others it'll refer to different subsets of posts....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    alright, thanks.
    They'll just have to read through the whole thread then.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 31st May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 15,780 Thanks
    Sleazy
    alright, thanks.
    They'll just have to read through the whole thread then.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    Or you could give them the post number if you wanted ...

I opened a FD account recently, also a regular saver, and my old account switched today (received confirmation from both banks), so now waiting to get the bonus payment. I wanted the FD regular saver account anyway, so seems a win-win.
    Sleazy
    There are those who say what's in their mind
    And those who mind what they say
    And the In-Betweeners
    Egypt & Switzerland
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 1st Jun 18, 2:37 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Or you could give them the post number if you wanted ...
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Actually, they should have quoted the post to begin with, rather than say 'someone mentioned'. Anyway, I don't see why I should spend time hunting around for a post that has been misread/misinterpreted. I know it was around page 7 (out of 8) on my interface. If they want to work out where they went wrong, they are welcome to do so. I won't be spoon-feeding them and have better things to do frankly.
    • sarah-lou38
    • By sarah-lou38 7th Jun 18, 2:42 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarah-lou38
    I changed to First Direct recently after the TSB debacle, and the transfer itself has been fine. The only thing I've just realised is that, now my TSB account has closed, I have no access to any old bank statements (I got them online). Is there any way of getting the info if I need it?

Cheers
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Jun 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    mije1983
    I changed to First Direct recently after the TSB debacle, and the transfer itself has been fine. The only thing I've just realised is that, now my TSB account has closed, I have no access to any old bank statements (I got them online). Is there any way of getting the info if I need it?

Cheers
    Originally posted by sarah-lou38
    Yes. From the TSB account closure FAQs....

You are entitled to copy statements (your transaction history) after you have closed your account. You can do this at any time during the next five years. We will provide you with your transaction history (at no cost) covering up to five years prior to the date of closure
    When you close an account you can choose:
    • the period (or periods) you want the information to cover, up to five years prior to closure of the account
    • whether you wish to receive it at all at this time
    • to have the information posted to you, or you can visit a specific branch

You will receive your past transaction history in paper format for now

• keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 10th Jun 18, 4:13 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    First Direct currently carry out a telephone interview before opening a current account for anyone..
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Do you know when they started doing this?

I have or at least did have an account, but as I can't access it, I have no idea if it is functional yet.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 13th Jun 18, 11:47 AM
    • 9,189 Posts
    • 13,328 Thanks
    meer53
    First Direct currently carry out a telephone interview before opening a current account for anyone. Thereafter it is your choice whether you use telephone banking or just stick to online banking.
    This is incorrect, you can apply either online OR by telephone.
    • darrendarren
    • By darrendarren 13th Jun 18, 4:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darrendarren
    I keep seeing ratings of how great First Direct customer service are, which is patently untrue. I've found them to be absolutely awful. How does one get to contribute to these ratings so that they might actually represent the true picture?
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 13th Jun 18, 5:26 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    I keep seeing ratings of how great First Direct customer service are, which is patently untrue. I've found them to be absolutely awful. How does one get to contribute to these ratings so that they might actually represent the true picture?
    Originally posted by darrendarren
    You vote in the polls this site does, every so often. You'll simply be part of the minority percentage that have a bad experience.
    So the true picture may be 70/30 in favour a good experience. And that would represent the true picture.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 18, 6:31 PM
    • 7,429 Posts
    • 8,000 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Originally posted by darrendarren
    You vote in the polls this site does, every so often. You'll simply be part of the minority percentage that have a bad experience.
    So the true picture may be 70/30 in favour a good experience. And that would represent the true picture.
    Originally posted by binaryuniverse
    I agree that anyone wishing to express their opinion via the MSE polls can do so - they're conducted biannually and last year's summer one was at the end of July, so watch out for the link in the weekly email around then, or monitor https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll.

However, to glorify these as representing any sort of 'true picture' is a fallacy! They're no more valid than the likes of TripAdvisor and Trustpilot, where anyone and everyone who feels that they've got something to get off their chest (positive or negative) can vote, and (to the best of my knowledge) there is no statistical control to prevent people from voting multiple times or to ensure a valid cross-section of society or to validate that those voting for FD actually have a FD account, etc.

So, for anyone who feels that these polls don't represent their view, you can of course add your voice to the mix if you believe it's actually worth it, or you can just do what the rest of us do and ignore the things entirely!
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 13th Jun 18, 6:44 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    It is what it is; a representation. You can only work with the sample data provided.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 18, 7:34 PM
    • 7,429 Posts
    • 8,000 Thanks
    eskbanker
    It is what it is; a representation.
    But the point is that it's a meaningless, unscientific and heavily-flawed representation and shouldn't be seen as anything else - I recalled a thread from a few weeks ago where I agreed with another poster that it was completely inappropriate for MSE to misrepresent these questionably-collected subjective opinions as if they were facts ("First Direct has without question the best service of any fee-free bank account") but see that you disagreed then too!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74240229#post74240229

You can only work with the sample data provided.
    Not really, you can (and should) gather and measure findings in a much more scientific and structured manner if you plan to attach some sort of importance and weight to them....
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 13th Jun 18, 7:55 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    I recalled a thread from a few weeks ago where I agreed with another poster that it was completely inappropriate for MSE to misrepresent these questionably-collected subjective opinions as if they were facts ("First Direct has without question the best service of any fee-free bank account") but see that you disagreed then too!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It's almost as if I stick to my opinions.
    They do consistently top MSE's poll. That is a fact. I've not once said the results should be taken as gospel. However, that is in a poll which includes many of their peers, and all of them will have people voting, who has got something to get off their chest (positive or negative). I don't think it can be completely dismissed as 'meaningless'.

But the point is that it's a meaningless, unscientific and heavily-flawed representation and shouldn't be seen as anything else
    Not really, you can (and should) gather and measure findings in a much more scientific and structured manner if you plan to attach some sort of importance and weight to them....
    You're possibly thinking a little too much in to this. But I'm happy to listen to what is a scientific method to gauge this sort of thing. And how MSE would go about it, with their resources.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Jun 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    RG2015
    This is incorrect, you can apply either online OR by telephone.
    Originally posted by meer53
    You can indeed apply either online or by telephone but that is not what I am saying.

I applied online in October 2017 and everything went fine. However I received a letter saying that I had to phone them so they could conduct a telephone interview. The customer services agent said that it was usual to carry out a telephone interview.

I took this to mean that the telephone interview was mandatory. I am not now sure of this and neither can I say when this was instigated.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Jun 18, 12:35 AM
    • 7,429 Posts
    • 8,000 Thanks
    eskbanker
    It's almost as if I stick to my opinions.
    They do consistently top MSE's poll. That is a fact. I've not once said the results should be taken as gospel. However, that is in a poll which includes many of their peers, and all of them will have people voting, who has got something to get off their chest (positive or negative). I don't think it can be completely dismissed as 'meaningless'.

You're possibly thinking a little too much in to this. But I'm happy to listen to what is a scientific method to gauge this sort of thing. And how MSE would go about it, with their resources.
    It doesn't bother me if it's run as a bit of fun but some mistakenly take them seriously (such as the poster you were replying to, who neatly encapsulates the mindset of those who feel the need to participate) and obviously a line is crossed when MSE start to read more into them than can be justifiably sustained (such as the "without question the best service" quote).

If they wanted to do it properly they could either engage a market research company or simply emulate one by establishing a statistically legitimate closed sample and undertaking a controlled survey with quantifiable responses, but, as remarked in the thread I linked, the subjective exercise will be rendered obsolete anyway by the banks imminently being forced to publish meaningful customer service performance figures versus agreed metrics....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,546Posts Today

8,361Users online

Martin's Twitter