Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 12th Jun 18, 8:21 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 12Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Is GiffGaff refurbished phone, credit?
    • 12th Jun 18, 8:21 PM
    Is GiffGaff refurbished phone, credit? 12th Jun 18 at 8:21 PM
    I need to build up credit and a new phone.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/apple/apple-iphone-7-refurbished/phone-details

This looks promising. If I pay £200 today, and have a low monthly cost, but 18% APR, will it help my credit?

I have no job, havenít lived in the UK for a long time etcc.

I would like the new iPhone, would I be able to get a phone at Carphone warehouse etc?
Page 2
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Jun 18, 1:52 PM
    • 17,205 Posts
    • 18,283 Thanks
    zx81
    You can send me the cashback then.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 2:27 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    You can send me the cashback then.
    Originally posted by zx81
    My £100 a week discretionary spending will get you far... where would you like your £52 yearly Cheque?
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 2:31 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    How will you get a credit card if you have no job. They will ask for your income
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    Exactly why I was looking for other forms of credit....
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Jun 18, 2:34 PM
    • 17,205 Posts
    • 18,283 Thanks
    zx81
    My £100 a week discretionary spending will get you far... where would you like your £52 yearly Cheque?
    Originally posted by beckysheffield
    Cheque, bank transfer or cash is fine.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jun 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Exactly why I was looking for other forms of credit....
    Which you still require an income for....
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 3:00 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Which you still require an income for....
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    This GiffGaff doesnít?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jun 18, 4:01 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    You're still missing the point

A loan, or a finance agreement such as this, is not the way to build credit history
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 4:21 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    You're still missing the point

A loan, or a finance agreement such as this, is not the way to build credit history
    No Iím not missing the point, because no one is explaining why a credit card is so much better than any this ofther form of credit. Sorry that people are mocking me and thinking Iím a troll, I have asked to speak to someone face to face, because I really donít understand it all. I was also willing to pay.

Itís annoying as Iíve rented for 15 years, yet thatís not seen in a good light. Iíve got a big deposit as well as savings, yet Iím having to struggle getting a credit card, which would be paid of in full monthly, so itís basically a debit card.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jun 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It's not basically Debit Card...

You get all the perks and protections with it that you don't with a Debit Card

Plus you build a credit history, which you don't with a Debit Card

You pay it in full to show your commitment to making the payments in full and on time etc.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 4:53 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    It's not basically Debit Card...

You get all the perks and protections with it that you don't with a Debit Card

Plus you build a credit history, which you don't with a Debit Card

You pay it in full to show your commitment to making the payments in full and on time etc.
    Ok you misunderstand. I meant I will be paying it if in full with cash... therefore itís like a credit card.

As my credit limit is low, what perks would I really have. £60 cashback.,..
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Jun 18, 4:59 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I thought the whole point of this thread was how o build a credit history, You don't do that with a debit card.

Its interest free if you pay it in full when you get your statement, A loan is not.

You say you don't need credit as you have enough cash so why would you want to pay interest?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Jun 18, 5:11 PM
    • 3,019 Posts
    • 2,181 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Cool. The only thing that would benefit myself is a chargeback.
    So getting free cash back every time you buy on a credit card isn't a benefit and you never buy anything worth £100 or more so wouldn't benefit from Section 75?

£60 cash back is free money you've not had to earn. No idea what your income is but I doubt its that high that a free £60 wouldn't be unwanted.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 5:23 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    So getting free cash back every time you buy on a credit card isn't a benefit and you never buy anything worth £100 or more so wouldn't benefit from Section 75?

£60 cash back is free money you've not had to earn. No idea what your income is but I doubt its that high that a free £60 wouldn't be unwanted.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    £60 is £60, and no I actually couldnít care at I gained an extra £1.15 per week.

The issue is that I donít spend a lot of money, I average about £100 per week after rent because I do a lot of free stuff and I donít have expensive tastes.... I donít have children, I just donít buy stuff.... plus my £10k I wouldnít be able to put on the C/C. So as you can see Iím finding little use for a credit card.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Jun 18, 5:41 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    . So as you can see I'm finding little use for a credit card.

I'm confused so you don't want to build a credit record then?
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Jun 18, 5:45 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Your other threads look like you were going to purchase a car, so one way of doing it would be to use a credit card for your fuel? Then pay in full after each statement. That's then not going out of your way to spend any more money, it's just spending it differently to build up some credit history.

• beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 5:52 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    I'm confused so you don't want to build a credit record then?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    I would love to get a mortgage but I donít want to be at the mercy of the banks and them forcing me to get a credit card. Iím sure you can comprehend it from my side.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Jun 18, 6:27 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I would love to get a mortgage but I don!!!8217;t want to be at the mercy of the banks and them forcing me to get a credit card. I!!!8217;m sure you can comprehend it from my side.

Would you lend you money with no job and no credit history?
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 13th Jun 18, 6:38 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Would you lend you money with no job and no credit history?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    The no job is short term and it!!!8217;s due to a change in location.

Would you lend money to someone who had a 25% mortgage to put down, has rented and paid all her bills on time for 12 years, isn!!!8217;t in debt to someone and has got the deposit, plus savings.

Credit card means nothing in my case, I dont need banks to force me into getting something that will be used the same way as a debit card. People having a credit card isnt necessary and promotes people to over spend.
    Last edited by beckysheffield; 13-06-2018 at 6:41 PM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Jun 18, 6:40 PM
    • 17,205 Posts
    • 18,283 Thanks
    zx81
    It's a shame lenders don't agree with you.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Jun 18, 7:01 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    The no job is short term and it!!!8217;s due to a change in location.

Would you lend money to someone who had a 25% mortgage to put down, has rented and paid all her bills on time for 12 years, isn!!!8217;t in debt to someone and has got the deposit, plus savings.

Credit card means nothing in my case, I dont need banks to force me into getting something that will be used the same way as a debit card. People having a credit card isnt necessary and promotes people to over spend.

None of which is documented in an easy to access system for lenders to check your history. No-one is forcing you to get a credit card, but its the easiest and cheapest way to show you can manage credit and pay it back on time. Do it your way, you've been given the advice months ago that is the best advice but you know better
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,680Users online

Martin's Twitter