Marriage Allowance Transfer and Self Assessment

I complete my Self Assessment using the HMRC website and their website software. For the last two or three years, I have filled in my details and when I get to the calculation there is an entry marked "Marriage Allowance Transfer" which reduces my tax by the appropriate amount.

This year, when I get to the calculation, there is no such entry and my tax is £237 more than it should be.

This is not the wife being awkward, I still have that transfer and on the first page when I log into HMRC, it says I have that transfer.

But the calculation does not pick it up.

Is this a common problem (ie HMRC screwed up the software) or are HMRC picking on just me?

Comments

• noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Its not just you. Mine is the same.
    No MAT in the calculation.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2019 at 12:42AM
    I suspect this is because they say it is a reduction in your tax liability & not an increase in your tax allowance. Logic does not seem to be their strong suit!

So file & it should show as a reduction in your liability. Mind I am not holding my breath as they seem to be going from bad to worse. I think "systems not fit for purpose comes to mind".
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    I complete my Self Assessment using the HMRC website and their website software. For the last two or three years, I have filled in my details and when I get to the calculation there is an entry marked "Marriage Allowance Transfer" which reduces my tax by the appropriate amount.

This year, when I get to the calculation, there is no such entry and my tax is £237 more than it should be.

This is not the wife being awkward, I still have that transfer and on the first page when I log into HMRC, it says I have that transfer.

But the calculation does not pick it up.

Is this a common problem (ie HMRC screwed up the software) or are HMRC picking on just me?

Are you sure about that? I am not exactly the world's greatest expert in anything related to computers but when you complete an online SA Return the first step is a calculation of your (pure) tax liability, the amount of tax chargeable on your income. Then, perhaps after a day, You should see your statement of account which should give a credit for the MAT.
    I would suggest you submit your Return now. See what happens the following day. If there's a problem you will have a reasonable amount of time to sort it out before 31 Jan.
  • Thank you all three.

As two of you think this is a staged process, HMRC must run several versions of software! In previous years - and this year, the calculation seems to be complete (except this year no MAT), ending up with a figure that they say I should pay. It has always done this before I submit it and previously has arrived at the correct figure (before submission). In previous years I have not submitted until I was happy that the figure agreed (more or less) with my own calculations.

I will give them a phone call - see if I can get through!
  • Or maybe your income for 2018:19 is at the level where you are not eligible for Marriage Allowance??
  • I wish it were!
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Thank you all three.

As two of you think this is a staged process, HMRC must run several versions of software! In previous years - and this year, the calculation seems to be complete (except this year no MAT), ending up with a figure that they say I should pay. It has always done this before I submit it and previously has arrived at the correct figure (before submission). In previous years I have not submitted until I was happy that the figure agreed (more or less) with my own calculations.

I will give them a phone call - see if I can get through!

I agree with this.
    I saved PDFs of the previous years tax calculation before submitting at the point where it said 90% complete.
    2017/18 has a deduction for MAT

minus Marriage Allowance Transfer £1100.00 x 20% £220

No such deduction appears on the 2018/19 calculation.

Income is around the same and well below the higher rate threshold.
  • Did anyone get an answer to this - I noticed the name issue but have submitted and trying to contact HMRC is proving a pain today!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jimmo wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I am not exactly the world's greatest expert in anything related to computers but when you complete an online SA Return the first step is a calculation of your (pure) tax liability, the amount of tax chargeable on your income. Then, perhaps after a day, You should see your statement of account which should give a credit for the MAT.

I agree that the Statement of Account - not the SA100 or the SA302 - is where to look - but if only...:(.

I completed SA weeks ago and no statement of account has appeared online - either for me or Mrs. P.

What an absolute shower HMRC are.
  • sb94707
    sb94707 Posts: 15 Forumite
    hi all. same problems here.. have submitted the wifes (no tax to pay), and was hoping that would trigger, an update, and show the allowance on mine nothing yet after 3 days (havent submitted mine yet).

Have seen a post bu "dazed an confused" saying submit, then call HMRC to get them to force the allowance transfer through.

will call on monday if no change shown by then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure