Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th Jan 20, 3:36 PM
    • 4,270Posts
    • 3,294Thanks
    Mistral001
    Golden Era of Car Boot Sales
    • 16th Jan 20, 3:36 PM
    Golden Era of Car Boot Sales 16th Jan 20 at 3:36 PM
    I reckon there was a golden era for car boot sales from about 2005 to 2014. This was a time when you could get quality stuff that had been hiding in attics or sheds. I look around my house and can point to items which I bought for a song at car boot sales during that era.

Nowadays when I go to car boot sales, I usually come away with nothing. Most of the items at the stalls are items bought only a few years ago in budget stores or just junk that cannot be used or re-used for anything.

During the Golden Era I was also able buy at car boot sales and sell for a profit on ebay. I have not seen anything I could do that with at car boot sales for years.

Do others think that car boot sales are not what they used to be and if so, have they any suggestions as to the reasons? No more quality items left in attics? Easier to throw the items in the recycling skip or charity shops. A fad that has run its course?
    Last edited by Mistral001; 16-01-2020 at 3:39 PM.
Page 1
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 16th Jan 20, 4:22 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:22 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:22 PM
    Facebook Marketplace has probably taken a large chunk of what used to show up at Carboot sales.

We still have a decent one run in the warmer months near me in a big field with loads of parking space that seems to do quite well.
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Jan 20, 1:37 PM
    • 11,521 Posts
    • 42,903 Thanks
    jwil
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:37 PM
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:37 PM
    I think ebay has affected the car boot sale. Now people don't want to sell on ebay but expect to sell for ebay prices. But also, there's so many people trying to but to sell stuff on from car boot sales, unless you are with the throngs as it opens, there are likely to be fewer bargains there.

I agree with you though - we pretty much kitted out our house from car boot sales, it's much harder to find things now.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 17th Jan 20, 1:50 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:50 PM
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:50 PM
    It's gotta be an age thing I think. The golden age for me was from 85-95, spiralling steadily but surely downwards to a few years ago and the rise of smartphones.

Back then if you knew your subject you could find loads. these days everybody is an expert and knows what google tells them.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 24th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 24th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 24th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    I think ebay has affected the car boot sale. Now people don't want to sell on ebay but expect to sell for ebay prices. But also, there's so many people trying to but to sell stuff on from car boot sales, unless you are with the throngs as it opens, there are likely to be fewer bargains there.

I agree with you though - we pretty much kitted out our house from car boot sales, it's much harder to find things now.
    Originally posted by jwil
    I used to go either very early or very late. Early to pick up the quality stuff. Late to pick up the stuff that stall-holders do not want to take home and will sell at very low prices. Now it is just not worth it getting up at 6:30am on a Saturday morning at all so when I do go now it is at a time which just fits in with my shopping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter