Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 16th Jan 20, 5:18 PM
    • 1,624Posts
    • 516Thanks
    JohnB47
    Admin User password - forgotten?
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:18 PM
    Admin User password - forgotten? 16th Jan 20 at 5:18 PM
    Hi.

I've just been using the photos app on my win 10 laptop and I wanted to add photos stored in my 'pictures' folder to the folder list when my wife logs on. Currently she is only allowed to view images in her 'pictures' folder.

So I went into photos with her logged in, went to settings and tried to add my 'pictures' folder to her 'vewable' list, got the message about her not being an administrator, clicked continue, then navigated to my pictures folder.

The thing is, it is now asking me for an admin user password. I don't remember specifying one! I've tried not entering anything but that doesn't work. Neither I nor my wife actually use passwords when logging in.

Any ideas how to proceed? Is there way to get the system to tell me the password? (I am the administrator).
Page 2
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 17th Jan 20, 9:10 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Can I suggest.....
    You now create another user "administrator" with an admin password that you are not likely to forget!
    a. You will then have a definite admin log on with a password to do admin tasks.....
    b. You can then change your own and wife's logons to not have admin rights.

I believe these steps reduce both risk of making errors and reduce risk of 'outside influences' doing admin tasks that are detrimental!

Can anyone confirm or comment on downsides?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter