Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 16th Jan 20, 12:45 PM
    • 520Posts
    • 2,785Thanks
    Si Clist
    Dying laptop?
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:45 PM
    Dying laptop? 16th Jan 20 at 12:45 PM
    We have a 4 year old Toshiba laptop which seems to be getting slower and slower to do anything. It's very slow to open a website, if we're in Firefox and go to open Thunderbird it takes forever and a day for that to open, and if we shut down one or the other, it has to think about that for maybe half a minute before it does anything.

Windows 10 is up to date, the only antivirus is Windows Defender, and a Malwarebytes scan comes up clean. I ran the Dell online PC "health check" thing which found nothing more interesting than a bunch of obsolete files, passwords and whatnot which it kindly offered to clean up for 40 or so. I declined the offer, deleted what I could find myself, then defragged.

No change. Is there any way a non-geek such as I can check if all the hardware's still OK, for instance? Any other online scan type things I could run which might provide a clue?
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 1
    • arciere
    • By arciere 16th Jan 20, 12:49 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    arciere
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:49 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:49 PM
    You'll get 'buy an SSD drive' recommendations in 3....2.....1...

No seriously, if you don't have it already (I doubt), installing a SSD drive would help enormously.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Jan 20, 12:57 PM
    • 8,723 Posts
    • 8,614 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:57 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:57 PM
    We have a 4 year old Toshiba laptop
    Originally posted by Si Clist
    Unless it was a poor spec device when purchased then it should be more than enough for day-to-day use. As said above, get an SSD to replace the HDD (backup first, even though you can keep the HDD as a backup device), then clean install Windows 10 on to the SSD using an 8GB+ USB pendrive (guides available) - Windows should activate automatically.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 16th Jan 20, 2:25 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 2,785 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:25 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:25 PM
    Thanks guys. Hmmmm. The thought of installing the OS bothers me more than swapping the drive, but no doubt there's how-to guides all over the internets. And the same for how to swop drives.

But can somebody please give me a clue (like a link to a supplier perhaps?) as to what exactly it is I'd need to buy - bearing in mind that (a) we're somewhat hard up and (b) all this particular laptop is ever used for is the web and email?
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 16th Jan 20, 2:47 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:47 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:47 PM
    I recommend here https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/storage-info?cm_re=top-nav-v2-_-flyout-products-_-storage-infovery reliable, good products and backup if needed. Will scan your PC and provide free cloning software if required.
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 16th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    mksysb
    • 16th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    You'll get 'buy an SSD drive' recommendations in 3....2.....1...

No seriously, if you don't have it already (I doubt), installing a SSD drive would help enormously.
    Originally posted by arciere
    Someone will also be along to recommend linux :-)

If you don't want to spend any money and all you do is web browsing and mail, then you could try one of the light linux distros, mint, xubuntu or manjaro for example. It'll make your current machine usable again.
    • googler
    • By googler 16th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    • 15,441 Posts
    • 10,192 Thanks
    googler
    Is your Recycle Bin empty?
    Cleared all cookies, temp files etc relating to the browser?

How much RAM memory do you have?
    Last edited by googler; 16-01-2020 at 3:57 PM.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 16th Jan 20, 4:52 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:52 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:52 PM
    Someone will also be along to recommend linux :-)

If you don't want to spend any money and all you do is web browsing and mail, then you could try one of the light linux distros, mint, xubuntu or manjaro for example. It'll make your current machine usable again.
    Originally posted by mksysb
    Is Linux only good for internet browsing and emails? Surely the OP wants to use their machine without feeling limited.

As has been said many times already, install and SSD and clean install Windows 10. If you can provide us with any details that we might need (such as model and make of the laptop), you are more likely to receive any help you might need.

It really is easy to do with most laptops. Worst case scenarios are disassembling the laptop to install the SSD or that it has a dreaded built-in eMMC solid state drive.

First things first, we know you have a Toshiba laptop. What model is it?
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 16th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 2,785 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    Is your Recycle Bin empty?
    Cleared all cookies, temp files etc relating to the browser?

How much RAM memory do you have?
    Originally posted by googler

Yes, yes, - and I have no idea! How do I find out?
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 16th Jan 20, 5:20 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 2,785 Thanks
    Si Clist
    First things first, we know you have a Toshiba laptop. What model is it?
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Sorry, I should have said. It's a Toshiba Satellite C850/1D2.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Jan 20, 7:03 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    You'll need a USB Flash drive of at least 8GB in capacity. The process will erase all on the flash drive.

Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive:

Visit the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Click Download Tool Now.
    Save the Application.
    Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
    Run the Application.
    Accept the EULA
    Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
    Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    Language (Country)
    Windows 10
    64-bit (x64)
    Click Next.
    Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
    Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
    Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

Installing Windows 10
    :
    Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
    Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
    Power on the system and begin tapping the F12 Key to enter the Boot Menu
    Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
    Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.
    Click Install Now.
    Accept the license terms and click Next....

If that doesn't work,
    Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
    Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
    Power on the system and begin tapping the F2 Key to enter the BIOS Setup
    Choose to set to Default
    Make sure that SecureBoot is ON and FastBoot is OFF
    Press the F10 to save the setting and to Exit.

Then repeat the initial instructions.

During the install, don't enter your WiFi password or connect to the Internet until you are offered the option to create a local account;
    You can follow this guide from
    DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT SETTINGS until LET IT DOWNLOAD ALL THE UPDATES in helping you to decide which choices to make.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Sorry, I should have said. It's a Toshiba Satellite C850/1D2.
    Originally posted by Si Clist
    It's actually eight years old. SSD is likely the answer. My mum has a similar laptop and it's fine with an SSD.

Changing the drive is super simple;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Crk2igp5A

as is installing the OS to it.

If you are skint, 18 will do it; https://www.7dayshop.com/products/patriot-memory-burst-ssd-solid-state-drive-2-5-sata-iii-internal-120gb-pbu120gs25ssdr

You can shave 1 off if you are really skint; https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-2-5-internal-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html

Though you can get 240 GB for 8 more; https://www.7dayshop.com/products/patriot-memory-burst-ssd-solid-state-drive-2-5-sata-iii-internal-240gb-pbu240gs25ssdr
    https://www.7dayshop.com/products/crucial-bx500-3d-nand-sata-iii-2-5-240gb-internal-ssd-solid-state-drive-240gb-version-ct240bx500ssd1
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 16th Jan 20, 7:31 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 2,785 Thanks
    Si Clist
    Gentlemen, thank you very much indeed. I do believe that's me sorted - now I know exactly what's involved and the likely cost, it's now up to my Lady Wife to decide what she wants to do.

I didn't want to complicate matters by saying in my OP that apart from the lethargy issue, the battery's also stuffed to the extent that we just run the thing off the charger. We tried a couple of new batteries off Ebay but to no avail, so she might well decide to put up with the pathetic performance until the thing does the decent thing and dies ...
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 16th Jan 20, 10:13 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    I have no idea how good Kingston are, but Base.com emailed me the other day about their SSDs - Really good prices, might be worth a punt;

https://www.base.com/buy/product/kingston-a400-240-gb-2-5-internal-solid-state-drive-sata-500-mb-s-maximum-read-transfer-rate-350-mb-s-maximum-write-transfer-rat/dgc-sa400s37_240g.htm

The 120GB is 18
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Jan 20, 10:20 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I have no idea how good Kingston are, but Base.com emailed me the other day about their SSDs - Really good prices, might be worth a punt;

https://www.base.com/buy/product/kingston-a400-240-gb-2-5-internal-solid-state-drive-sata-500-mb-s-maximum-read-transfer-rate-350-mb-s-maximum-write-transfer-rat/dgc-sa400s37_240g.htm

The 120GB is 18
    Originally posted by SuperPikachu
    Stay away from that particular model, unless they have fixed the firmware. I wouldn't bother frankly.

Google "Kingston a400 freezing"
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 17th Jan 20, 9:01 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    mksysb
    Is Linux only good for internet browsing and emails? Surely the OP wants to use their machine without feeling limited.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Of course not, you can do anything on Linux that you can do on Windows but not necessarily using the same programs, however as the OP specifically mentioned Firefox and Thunderbird, both these will be exactly the same programs on Linux, so no learning curve and he'll be up and running straight away.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 17th Jan 20, 10:41 AM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Stay away from that particular model, unless they have fixed the firmware. I wouldn't bother frankly.

Google "Kingston a400 freezing"
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I installed that same drive in a machine about a year ago and never had any issues of freezing - perhaps it had the newer firmware. You are right though, plenty of people online are commenting that the drive freezes. It seems that in mid/late December 2018, Kingston released a fix for this issue. I will check the firmware of the drive I installed later and see if it even needs updating.

I do regard Kingston as a low/mid range SSD and wouldn't personally use one due to my computer usage. I have always trusted Samsung SSD drives and they have never let me down.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 17th Jan 20, 10:45 AM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Of course not, you can do anything on Linux that you can do on Windows but not necessarily using the same programs, however as the OP specifically mentioned Firefox and Thunderbird, both these will be exactly the same programs on Linux, so no learning curve and he'll be up and running straight away.
    Quite. But what you said in your post implied that Linux was only good for those two things:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,174Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter