Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tanvir
    • By tanvir 15th Jan 20, 3:34 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 5Thanks
    tanvir
    Insures want to admit liability to claim which is not my fault
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:34 PM
    Insures want to admit liability to claim which is not my fault 15th Jan 20 at 3:34 PM
    **Raising on motoring forum as i created on insurance forum **

A week before xmas i was involved in a car accident where i went into the back of 3rd party at about 15-20mph, I fully believe this was not my fault.
    I was travelling on the dual carriageway at 50mph, There is a private road from where you turn left at a giveway to join the dual carriageway. The 3rd party just joined without stopping at the giveway which resulted in me braking and going into the back of him as there wasn't enough stopping distance nor was he travelling at a high enough speed to keep a decent gap.

At the scene he admitted liability and was ready to settle this outside of insurance and said will be in touch in the new year to arrange payment.
    Fast forward the new year and my insurers tell me his insurers hold me liable and his submitted an injury claim .

The issue is my insurance are saying they don't wish drag this on as i hit him from the back so 99% he is going to win and I would have to admit liability. They are not interested that he made a dangerous entry onto the dual carriageway etc and just want to settle this which i find very strange for an insurance company.

There is no CCTV footage as the council confirmed it wasn't recording at the time and no witnesses available.

Is there anything I can do to pressure my insurance to at least fight this properly? At the very least its my word against his since he has no CCTV or witness either, but my insurers want to admit liability and settle this?

What can I do?
Page 3
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    • 27,610 Posts
    • 27,792 Thanks
    AdrianC
    50mph to 20mph is about 32m braking distance going by the notoriously long HC figures.

If the OP was still braking hard it would have been difficult to steer around the other car in a controlled manner.
    Originally posted by Ergates
    We're not talking about planting everything from warp speed...

We're talking about a couple of seconds to shed 30mph.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 5,094 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Yes, easily.

The cars weren't necessarily travelling in exactly the same direction. It was clearly a low-speed impact, so if the front car had turned right just before impact and/or the rear left, then OSF to OSR would be eminently possible.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Ahh, I read it as the damage being on the side of the car but it's the bumpers they're talking about.

Well my damage is from driver side to the middle. 3rd party damage is also from middle to driver side
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 17th Jan 20, 10:05 AM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 4,009 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Please please please buy a dashcam!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,109Posts Today

6,428Users online

Martin's Twitter