Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 16th Jan 20, 4:46 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Plantation7
    New Consumer Unit/Fuse Board Quote?
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:46 PM
    New Consumer Unit/Fuse Board Quote? 16th Jan 20 at 4:46 PM
    Been given quote to upgrade my fuse box but because the meter box is only 49cm wide and less with smart meter, the man says he will install it on it's side instead of vertical.
    The sparky says the only other option is to drill through the wall and situate the box inside the house. The guy is legit and NICEIC have confirmed he is registerd with them with all the bells and whistles ect.
    Just wanted to check if any one on here has heard of this before as i ubderstand these new metal boxes are quite big!
    Don't Trust Anybody!
Page 1
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 16th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    Been given quote to upgrade my fuse box but because the meter box is only 49cm wide and less with smart meter, the man says he will install it on it's side instead of vertical.
    The sparky says the only other option is to drill through the wall and situate the box inside the house. The guy is legit and NICEIC have confirmed he is registerd with them with all the bells and whistles ect.
    Just wanted to check if any one on here has heard of this before as i ubderstand these new metal boxes are quite big!
    Originally posted by Plantation7
    Would get some other quotes before going ahead, if they all say it needs to be side mounted then you will have your answer!
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 16th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    Are you sure it's the distribution board (fuse box) you're referring to? It's very unusual for these to be mounted externally. I presume it's in the Permalli box?

Personally I would much rather see it brought inside, and wouldn't encourage sideways installation. (As I alluded to, I wouldn't encourage external installation either - was there some very good reason for it being located there?)
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 16th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Plantation7
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    Are you sure it's the distribution board (fuse box) you're referring to? It's very unusual for these to be mounted externally. I presume it's in the Permalli box?

Personally I would much rather see it brought inside, and wouldn't encourage sideways installation. (As I alluded to, I wouldn't encourage external installation either - was there some very good reason for it being located there?)
    Originally posted by Risteard
    Hi, yes it is actually one of those new metal fuse boards with the mcbs and rcd's etc but my current one is inside of a meter cupboard on the side of the house, he measured and claims the new ones are a lot larger and so it would go sideways in the meter box, basically saying the meter cupboard is not wide enough for this new one.
    Don't Trust Anybody!
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 16th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Plantation7
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    Would get some other quotes before going ahead, if they all say it needs to be side mounted then you will have your answer!
    Originally posted by Frank99
    I am gonna do that just to see if they all say the same thing!
    Don't Trust Anybody!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 16th Jan 20, 7:18 PM
    • 10,537 Posts
    • 13,652 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 16th Jan 20, 7:18 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 7:18 PM
    Is it type approved and within the manufacturer's instructions to be mounted sideways?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,196Posts Today

5,404Users online

Martin's Twitter