Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • billy_26032019
    • By billy_26032019 16th Jan 20, 2:17 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 5Thanks
    billy_26032019
    Housing Benefit room eligiblity with 5-day-a-week lodger
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:17 PM
    Housing Benefit room eligiblity with 5-day-a-week lodger 16th Jan 20 at 2:17 PM
    Hello good people! I rent a two-bedroom flat in London from a private landlord and I'm aged over 35. If I live on my own I get the one-bedroom rate. If I have a lodger, then as well as the extra income I get the two-bedroom rate.

I've had an enquiry from a potential lodger who would want the room for 5 days a week on a long-term basis, but his family home where he'd spend his weekends would continue to be somewhere else in the country.

I'm wondering would I be able to rent the room to him and receive the two bedroom rate, or not because this flat wouldn't be his main address?

If it wouldn't be possible, fine, happy to find another 7-dayer like I always have in the past. Just not encountered this situation before, and wondering how it would be viewed in HB terms.

Thanks for your help!
Page 1
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 16th Jan 20, 4:40 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:40 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:40 PM
    I'm a little confused why if someone is paying rent on the other room and working would you get extra housing benefit? Wouldn't your rent then go down to at least half of what your currently paying?
    • Here Comes The Judge
    • By Here Comes The Judge 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Here Comes The Judge
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    I'm a little confused why if someone is paying rent on the other room and working would you get extra housing benefit? Wouldn't your rent then go down to at least half of what your currently paying?
    Originally posted by sazaccount
    You would think so. But I bet a Bennie guru will be in here saying it isn't a problem.
    • billy_26032019
    • By billy_26032019 16th Jan 20, 5:06 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    billy_26032019
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:06 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:06 PM
    The answer is that the two-bed flat is in my name, I have a sole tenancy on it.

If I sublet the second room the rent that I pay stays the same, but my income goes up. And because there'd be another person living here (a lodger), my HB eligibility changes from the rate for a 1-bedroom flat, to the rate for a 2-bedroom flat.

I don't have any particular interest in this 5-Day-a-week person, I haven't even replied to them, I'm just curious about the situation.
    Last edited by billy_26032019; 16-01-2020 at 6:02 PM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 16th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    For Housing Benefit even if your maximum housing benefit is increased by having a lodger you have to take into account that any money they pay is taken into account as income (subject to a 20/week disregard)which will reduce the Housing Benefit payable.

For Universal Credit the rules are different. A lodger who pays rent to live in your house is not part of your extended benefit unit and therefore does not change the amount of help you can get with your rent. However any rent they pay you is ignored.

As to your core question I think it depends on where they are treated as ordinarily resident and a decision maker would need to look at the specific circumstances. I suspect that (as I infer do you) that they may be treated as ordinarily resident in the family home.
    • billy_26032019
    • By billy_26032019 16th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    billy_26032019
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:14 PM
    Thanks, Calcotti. Yes, my HB has always been reduced by the income I get from the lodger which of course I always declare, submitting to the authorities copies of any rental agreement we make.

I did sometimes wonder if I'd be better off under Universal Credit but I think I'd be foolish to switch over to it any sooner than I need to, because I need a bit more help with my mental health before I'd want the pressure around increasing the amount of work I do.

Thanks for your answer to the 'core question'. So, yes, I think it's easier to just pass on this guy!
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    It occurs to me that

If the family home referred to is their parents house then the lodger is simply visiting their parents every weekend. The 5 day lodger is then a 7 day lodger who chooses to go away every week end.

If the family home referred is where the lodger otherwise lives with a partner and they are responsible for rent or a mortgage on that home than the lodger is almost certainly ordinarily resident at that home.
    • billy_26032019
    • By billy_26032019 16th Jan 20, 6:59 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    billy_26032019
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:59 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:59 PM
    That's interesting. Well, this guy's in his late 40s, so it's surely the home where he lives with a partner.

Though the thought that he might still be with his parents has got me looking on Youtube for Ronnie Corbett in 'Sorry'!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter