Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Prillygeorge14
    • By Prillygeorge14 16th Jan 20, 3:41 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Prillygeorge14
    Completion Delays on New Build Shared Ownership Home
    • 16th Jan 20, 3:41 PM
    Completion Delays on New Build Shared Ownership Home 16th Jan 20 at 3:41 PM
    I'm after some advice.

We exchanged on a shared ownership new build back in August 2019. We were told to expect completion by November 2019 and this was written into our contracts.
    Within a week of exchange we then received news that due to supplier issues our completion had been delayed until March/April 2020. This was again confirmed as the expected date when I checked just before Christmas.
    This morning I have just had a further email to say that now the completion has been moved to August/September 2020!!! Obviously we are devastated.

We do have a long stop date of march 2020 written in our contract so we are aware that legally we could pull out of the deal however we really dont want to have to start this whole process again.

Most of our dealings are with the housing association with whom our shared ownership contract is with however I'm aware that the delays are not their fault but the fault of the developers but I'm not sure who to speak/complain to!
    Surely a years delay past what we expected is considered unreasonable? I feel that because we are not buying the property outright we are being treated differently to other buyers.

What are you options and is there anything we can do to speed this along?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Jan 20, 4:31 PM
    • 14,426 Posts
    • 16,876 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:31 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:31 PM
    You can't realistically "speed up" the construction - I expect they want it done as quickly as they reasonably can too. Your remedy is to walk away at the longstop if you want to - at least you've been given a fair bit of notice that there's going to be a delay.
    • Prillygeorge14
    • By Prillygeorge14 16th Jan 20, 4:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Prillygeorge14
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:39 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:39 PM
    The construction part is actually finished on our house. This is the frustrating bit! The house is standing and has been for months!
    It's easy to say pull the plug but we could find ourselves in exactly the same position with another property. Such a dilemma 😖
    • webjaved
    • By webjaved 16th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    webjaved
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    The construction part is actually finished on our house. This is the frustrating bit! The house is standing and has been for months!
    It's easy to say pull the plug but we could find ourselves in exactly the same position with another property. Such a dilemma 😖
    Originally posted by Prillygeorge14
    Have they exactly said what's caused the delay?
    Save 12k in 2019 #154 - 14,826.60/12k
    Save 15k in 2020 #128 - 0/15k
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 5,731 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    Have they exactly said what's caused the delay?
    Originally posted by webjaved
    More than likely that the developer wants to sell some of "their" houses before any shared ownership people move in but it could be to do with service connections or something else that they have no control over.

Has any of the other properties completed yet?
    • Prillygeorge14
    • By Prillygeorge14 16th Jan 20, 5:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Prillygeorge14
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:02 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:02 PM
    The only thing we've been told so far is it's an access issue, we are waiting for more information.
    Having driven down to the site recently i dont see how there is any access issues. The road is built it just looks like landscaping that's left to finish.
    Just spoken to our solicitors who are going to investigate.
    • Yan101
    • By Yan101 16th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Yan101
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    Were in the same boat. Shared ownership with kier/heylo. Was told it would be finished in sept. Then december then march 2020 then april/may. We get fobbed off all the time by the sales person. Her manager has given us some upgrades due to delays. Ours cant be started because of a fire hydrant that needs moving. Was told this was being done early jan, still leaking out and when I called Yorkshire water I was told there is no hydrant in that area and no planned works. I then learned they decided to build 2 more houses and those have been started. So someone's lying to give excuses as to why ours hasn't been started. We reserved in june 2019. Still nothing happened. And like you say, treated like you arent really buying the house, and they weren't allowed to sell it to us outright. It was the last plot for a detached so that's how we bought it. Already cost me twice for mortgage/valuation and looks like itll cost me again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,203Posts Today

5,088Users online

Martin's Twitter