Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevelo
    • By stevelo 15th Jan 20, 9:32 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 4Thanks
    stevelo
    new debt default whilst bankrupt
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:32 PM
    new debt default whilst bankrupt 15th Jan 20 at 9:32 PM
    hi I am currently BR and end on march 2020. today I received a call from cap quest saying they had bough 2 debts from Halifax dating back to 1999. one for a credit card for 4k which after saying I was BR the. said it would get closed as statute barred, but the other one for a current account is for 389 and they said it cant be closed as I have a ccj I think . I said at moment I cant pay anyone as I am BR and they said to contact them with a week to make payment or they will chase me for it. it is from 1996 and a court order was issued in 2008 12 years ago. they have bought the debt and have no idea what to do? pay it? or do what? I always thought that after 6 years a debt was gone. anyone help? TIA
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 19,131 Posts
    • 18,057 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    Hi,

You are currently bankrupt, that means that ALL debts in your name, on the date of your bankruptcy, were included in that bankruptcy, county court judgements are extinguished by bankruptcy, your creditors have no remedy against you, they are lying to you in the hope of a payday.
    I’m a little shocked you don’t know this, you appear to have gone bankrupt without knowing the full facts of what you have signed up to.

Under normal circumstances a 12 year old CCJ could not be enforced without permission from the court, although judgements never become statute barred, they are expected to enforce it within 6 years.

Your bankruptcy removes all hope they ever had of collecting on this debt.
    I suggest you put this in writing to them, and don’t ever speak to them on the phone again.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 15-01-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • stevelo
    • By stevelo 15th Jan 20, 10:33 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    stevelo
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:33 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:33 PM
    thanks yes I was on the understanding my debts were written off but this debt was not included and as it was so long ago didn't realise that it existed and as they readily agreed to close the credit card but chose to press on with the other debt it threw me.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 19,131 Posts
    • 18,057 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    thanks yes I was on the understanding my debts were written off but this debt was not included and as it was so long ago didn't realise that it existed and as they readily agreed to close the credit card but chose to press on with the other debt it threw me.
    Originally posted by stevelo
    Yea they try to confuse you, but rest assured, bankruptcy is an all encompassing arrangement, it covers all your credit debts, with certain exceptions, doesn’t matter if you know about them or not, ask your OR or National Debtline if your not convinced.

Stay off the phone to capquest, send a letter as advised, tell them the debt is indeed included in your bankruptcy, and they have no remedy in respect of it, refer them to your OR if they have any more queries.

See here :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/bankruptcy-2/after-you-go-bankrupt/creditors-still-chasing-you-after-you-go-bankrupt/
    Last edited by sourcrates; 15-01-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • stevelo
    • By stevelo 15th Jan 20, 11:26 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    stevelo
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:26 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:26 PM
    thanks very much!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter