No oil after service questionable?

dilby
dilby Posts: 209 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Hi all -

My car was serviced 9 months ago (including an oil change) and now my car's engine oil is completely empty. I can't see any clear signs of a mechanical fault and the car is only 2 years old, so providing no fault is changed can I assume that the mechanics didn't actually change the oil as advertised? I'm no car expert but that seems like a lot of oil to go through in 9 months for quite a new car (I also work from home so don't do a lot of miles).

Thanks!

Comments

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    really!

You do know that you should check your oil more frequently don't you?
  • dilby
    Yes. But like I assume many others I relied on the dashboard telling me when more oil is needed; light came on today and here I am. If anyone else wants to unhelpfully point that out, don't worry I'm aware how incompetent I am.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nine months, and how many miles?

A typical car contains about 4 litres of oil.
    Acceptable use varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but can be as high as a litre per 1,000km - 620 miles. So you could have used all the oil within less than 3,000 miles and still be within normal limits.

This is why your owner's handbook tells you to check the oil level regularly.
    dilby wrote: »
    But like I assume many others I relied on the dashboard telling me when more oil is needed; light came on today and here I am.
    Most cars don't have oil level warnings on the dash.
    They have a light warning you of low oil pressure. Very low.

When that light comes on, oil is not circulating around the engine. It's pumping air around.
  • If they hadn't put oil in the car would have packed in straight away.......how do you know the oil is empty if by checking dipstick there will will still be a little left in.

As per previous post check your oil and other fluids at least every month if not weekly/biweekly
  • dilby
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Nine months, and how many miles?

A typical car contains about 4 litres of oil.
    Acceptable use varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but can be as high as a litre per 1,000km - 620 miles. So you could have used all the oil within less than 3,000 miles and still be within normal limits.

This is why your owner's handbook tells you to check the oil level regularly.

Thanks that's helpful. I'd say about 4k miles, so yup I guess that makes sense. Just first time that's happened to me, it normally barely changes, so perhaps in the past I've just been lucky! Thanks again, good info.
  • dilby wrote: »
    Yes. But like I assume many others I relied on the dashboard telling me when more oil is needed; light came on today and here I am. If anyone else wants to unhelpfully point that out, don't worry I'm aware how incompetent I am.

"I'm aware how incompetent I am":rotfl:
  • AdrianC
    dilby wrote: »
    Thanks that's helpful. I'd say about 4k miles, so yup I guess that makes sense. Just first time that's happened to me, it normally barely changes, so perhaps in the past I've just been lucky! Thanks again, good info.
    Perhaps something's gone awry. Perhaps there's an oil cooler which has been pierced by a stone. Perhaps a hose or seal has developed a leak.

Regular checks will tell you of that before any damage is done.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What car is it? Some guzzle oil.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2020 at 11:34PM
    I've had a leak before when a well known national chain changed the oil but didn't fit the filter right.

If you're testing for leaks put a container under it and then put some oil in and leave it overnight then check the basin. If no leaks, then its likely your engine burning it off. If leaks then its identifying the source.

Of course given you're on the forum asking the question rather than doing any of the above already....you might just want to take it to a trusted garage and ask them to diagnose :D

ETA: Also, I typically change mine every 6 months. Thought that was standard tbh
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AdrianC
    ETA: Also, I typically change mine every 6 months. Thought that was standard tbh
    The 1970s called, they'd like their rule-of-thumb back.

10k miles or 12mo has been pretty much the shortest interval you're going to have seen on anything built since the 90s. except for unusually fragile stuff. Manufacturer recommended intervals can go longer - 18k/24mo is not unknown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure