Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 15th Jan 20, 6:05 AM
    • 3,626Posts
    • 50,534Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 15 January 2020
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 15 January 2020 15th Jan 20 at 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 15 January 2020

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Dark, blustery and raining again.

DH and DS1 getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge, DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner lost night was use up of pork loins, chicken breast - menfolk had these then with cauli/broc cheese, roast pots, peas, yorkshires and gravy. I had roasted peppers stuffed with rice and sausages. Tonight I think will be chicken with new potatoes, carrots and gravy.

Work yesterday was steady, then slowed off. Working at my normal office today so will see what's been happening there. Last day at work for me until next Monday too. Have lots on the "to do" list as always though!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 15-01-2020 at 6:14 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 15th Jan 20, 6:25 AM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 25,403 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:25 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:25 AM
    Good morning everyone

Thank you nmlc for starting us off today xx

I had another rubbish night's sleep but I don't feel too bad at the moment. I am definitely going back to bed this afternoon as Steve is going out to the hospital for a check up after his cataract surgery. Phoebe has a day off so she can answer the door if we have any parcels delivered.

Still no sign of Lilly, I think she may have moved out and forgot to tell us . Tell a lie, she popped in the other day to throw some clothes in the washing machine. I do miss her even though the house is much more peaceful but as long as she is happy then that is ok.

I am going to make spinach and bacon pasta for dinner tonight if the spinach has survived the last week in the fridge, otherwise I will have to put my thinking cap on.

The district nurse came to see me yesterday and managed to get some blood from me...hooray. This was the third nurse who had tried and my poor arm was beginning to resemble a pin cushion. Other good news for me was that my pressure sore on my heel had finally healed up so no more treatment for that was needed. She is coming on Friday to measure my legs for new stockings as my old ones keep sliding down now as my legs have shrunk a bit. I will not miss the Norah Batty look that's for sure .

I think it has actually stopped raining for a bit, it's been so miserable here for the last few days. The weather definitely affects my mood so a nice few days of sunshine please. I will have to start using my SAD lamp again I think. I just put it on for a couple of hours in the morning and hopefully it will make a difference.

Steve tackled the washing mountain yesterday so I will put it all away later. Luckily I don't iron so it won't take too long and it will be nice to have some clean clothes again. Steve was living dangerously and got down to his last pair of jeans.

Right, that's it from me for now, hope you all have a lovely day, take care xx
    Jan GC - 450/362
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Jan 20, 6:42 AM
    • 13,102 Posts
    • 49,278 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:42 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:42 AM
    Morning

Good sleep last night so up showered and ready to take on the trials of the day aka mum day. Her chicke and mushroom soup and rocky road are ready to take ...at least the soup is proper food and she has enough for at least 3 meals so that will get something healthy in her. Had a bowl myself yesterday and even if I say so myself its a good one

I have some very good news .......last night I got a text from my contact at the solicitors and they have booked me for a day on the 5th Feb to "give the course a trial" If I get this right and every effort will be going in to do just that then there will be more work coming. So happy as its perfect work for me and a good daily rate at that. I of course put it all down to all my OS cheerleaders headed up of course by the very flexible nannywindow couldn't have done it without you all

Got to get back sharpish today as I have a conference call with them to discuss the day.

Food will likely to be a Wetherspoons as mum is loving their breakfast most of which she packs up for home before she even starts (insert rolling eye smilie)

Hope you all have a lovely day you deserve it
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th Jan 20, 6:53 AM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 56,319 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:53 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:53 AM
    Morning All

Great news Nelski! Hope it goes well.

Still blowing a gale outside, the wind has a horrible chill to it. I was cold in bed last night so had to put a blanket on top of the quilt.

Work this morning and training this afternoon so should be an earlier finish. I'll probably go to Dunelm after as the venue is close and I fancy a nosy.

Went to Ikea after work, met DD and Sophie there. Bought her mattress and used my voucher, that's my Christmas shopping done!

Right, must shift myself, have a good day and take care. XX
    • tru
    • By tru 15th Jan 20, 6:56 AM
    • 8,862 Posts
    • 48,288 Thanks
    tru
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:56 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:56 AM
    Morning

The wind and rain started earlier than I expected. Monday was bad enough but it was worse yesterday, I kept looking out to check fences and see if any roof tiles were lying around in the garden. It was dark too, I had the lights on for most of the day.

We had a good walk, mostly dry but the rain started a few minutes before we got home. Scamp spotted cats a couple of times and didn't react to them at all. I'm really hoping this is going to carry on but it's probably just a blip and he'll be back to displaying Cat Rage soon enough

It's calm at the moment, as soon as it's light I'll let the chickens out then rake up some more leaves for them. I'd like to tidy the patio properly and rearrange a bit but I don't seem to able to get out there for more than a few minutes at a time. I'll attempt a bit more garden tidying then spend some time in my room, it's coming together slowly and the others seem to have got the message that it's not actually an indoor shed

Nels That great news, congrats
    nannywindow I found this for you to lead us in our cheers

Last edited by tru; 15-01-2020 at 7:01 AM.
    Bulletproof
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Jan 20, 7:33 AM
    • 4,797 Posts
    • 39,185 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:33 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:33 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. And a loud well done cheer for NELSKI! We knew you could do it!

Another no cooking day - I could get used to this! It should be a Golden Girls bus trip out day today but we are just going out for lunch instead. We are going down to the carvery, and will have a couple of wines and share much gossip afterwards.

I need to be back home at a reasonable time as we are off to the panto again tonight (Oh yes we are!) and I need to be back home at a reasonable time to get organised. It will be the DGDs' 28th performance tonight, just 7 more to go before the run ends. They are absolutely loving it but it's telling it's toll on DD, all the ferrying back and forth, as well as all the chaperoning she is fitting in between working.

I am counting down the days now till I get Sparkle! I got her some more toys yesterday on my way back for the bus. I am spoiling her before she even gets here! I also bought a little thank you gift for the friend of DD's (a crazy cat woman!) who tracked down the purrfect house cat for me!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need of them. DUMPLING so pleased your legs sound to be on the mend. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 15th Jan 20, 7:34 AM
    • 7,276 Posts
    • 101,889 Thanks
    redruby
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:34 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:34 AM
    Morning all

A bit later on here for me today, I have a hospital app today for the breast clinic which normally takes several hours so I have booked the day off. Im hoping to be back just after lunch and to have a restful afternoon.

Chilli and rice for dinner tonight which we love, will do a veggi one for dd.

I have put a wash load on this morning and dd will put it on the td later on as its raining again, there was a terrible storm here last night and im sure there will be trees down today.

Bins have gone out this morning and I will empty the dw before I go.

Nels yay I am so pleased for you, can I take my cheerleader skirt off now ? its chafing a bit !!

Have good days all xx
    • Happycas
    • By Happycas 15th Jan 20, 8:11 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Happycas
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:11 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:11 AM
    Good morning

Nelski - so pleased for you. Always knew you'd do it though!
    Speky - wow, you're casting your net far and wide. I'm looking forward to following wherever your new adventure takes you.

Another day, another medical appointment. Scan for DH at 6pm. Not too bad a time as parking will be easy. He can't eat for 6 hours before so think we'll have a brunch type meal about 11.

Not much else today, so I wish you all well, and no blown down fences!
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 15th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 6,640 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    Morning Everyone,

Pleased about your good news Nelski

Hopefully no rain today. It is windy out though.

Wednesday is visiting my mom day. She spends a fair majority of them in bed in her room. Her mobility has gone and her memory is getting worse.

It is slow cooker day a chicken casserole type meal.

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 15th Jan 20, 8:48 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 11,134 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Good morning, seems to be a damp grey morning out there.
    Yesterday turned really nasty with heavy rain so we didn't get out for a walk with Dgs.

Good one Nelski, so pleased for you !

We are going to the hairdresser today, and that's about it. What exciting lives we lead don't we.

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday, take care folks.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jan 20, 9:00 AM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,900 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums and well done to my adopted DD Nelski, never had any doubts that you wouldn't win through so pleased for you ,onwards and upwards now

Filthy day here in north kent cold wet 'n' windy and not at all a day for a stroll in the park. I wanted to get back to doing my morning mile ,but no way am I hobbling around in this rotten weather ,roll on the spring.
    Well, half way through January thank goodness loooongest month it feels in the year.Although I have noticed its gradually getting slight ly lighter in the evenings and mornings thank goodness.

We came forth in the pub quiz last night so wasn't too bad and only about 4 points behind the winners .They won for the first time for ages so we gave them a good clap.We are such a matey lot and there are about 12-14 regular teams that turn out no matter the weather.its only a small off the beaten track pub so the two chaps who run it work very hard to get their customers in and happy.Nice fellows as well, and have been happily together for over 30 years and we all love them to bits.

I made some biscuits for DGS Mikey yesterday, and his face lit up when he came in from school, he was soaked bless him, and cold and wet young lads need a bit of TLC from their Gran at times .
    He is missing his brothers a little, and although he will be 16 this June he still likes there to be someone indoors when he gets in from school.So my job is still keeping an eye on him and letting the dogs out for a bit longer.
    I don't mind as I take my book or laptop with me and its no different from being at home in the afternoon as I can put my feet up and relax I have got to the age now when I like a bit of a 'feet up and cuppa ' after lunch.
    I have my Drs appointment next Monday morning and I am hoping I can get a referral to have some physio on my bad shoulder/arm that I damaged when I fell in November.
    It's called a rotator cuff injury and its still giving me trouble, I can't knit for very long at the moment, and I do miss doing that

Right enough blethering, time for a nice hot cup of coffee to get my inner engine going I can hear the perculator bubbling so that's the next job for me one sometimes two big mugs of coffee gets me kick-started in the morning

Have a good day chums and try to stay warm and dry

Cheers JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 15-01-2020 at 9:03 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Jan 20, 9:11 AM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 54,824 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning folks.

I'm having a lazy half hour before starting my day.

WelL done to NELSKI and DUMPLING. JACKIE - what a generous spirit!

Yesterday morning the nurse turned up without warning. The GP had ordered a set of blood tests so I was expecting a phone call first. Luckily DM was awake. The nurse got two vials of blood from her left arm before the vein collapsed. The right arm was on strike. As the final bottle was for a glucose test it might not be necessary, just have to wait for a phone call.

After that I went out for milk and a paper. The weather was so rotten I wasn't in inclined to do more, today I will. There's paperwork to do at the surgery as I've signed myself up there permanently : and then I e an order to collect from Marks.

The other day I came across a lovely boating pond a couple of miles away which was stuffed with swans and ducks. It has easy parking so I may go there for the circular walk, better than pounding the streets.

I'm off to feed and water DM. Happy Wednesday to all.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Jan 20, 9:22 AM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 16,286 Thanks
    -taff
    Morning all! Day 1 of getting up early commences!I found some of those black pore strips in the nathroom cupboard [ forgot I had them] so I'm sitting here typing with a big black splodge across my nose...Cat has been dreamied and has declined to go out, can't think why, maybe the howling wind and lashing rain has something to do with that...
    Today I'm fetching something from Freecycle to give to a friend, possibly going to the cinema, making fajitas [ the old standby] and fat club.I think that's anough to be getting on with, along with all the hidden jobs that get done, like the dishes, sweeping, going to make OH hoover..Have a couple of presents to wrap for OHs sister, we're going to hers on Sunday, and I was going to look out some more stuff I can offload on her, like some fabric bits for example....sneaky sneaky super sneaky....

Hospital yesterday was good, elected last visit to the getting inside your head doctor, came away with some helpful tenets to live by for the moment. [Getting up every day early is one of them, how lucky for me I'd already begun that! well, sort of begun...well..gave it a go...ok, managed it once!] Have a plan to write down for a few months [ or I'll forget] so I'm orf to do that now...

Congratulations Nelski! fab job..and now double your prices! Jackie hope you get some physio soon..is it worth going provate for one time to get some help with excercises? tru, nice emoji, let's hope nanny can show us a twilr and good boy scamp! ruby, hope it goes well at the hospital. TA enjoy the lunch out! Gers, I see you ninja walking when no one is looking... have a good day if you can all, hey all reading along...Jackie, we had a couple like that in a pub in the village I used to lve in. Loved their stories..One of them was Scottish and he was telling me all about the time he broke both his legs skiing...and how he only realised he had when he stood up..that made my knees go weak....Wishy washy Wednesday!...
    Last edited by -taff; 15-01-2020 at 9:24 AM.
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 15th Jan 20, 9:26 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    bellabella
    Morning all
    Dogs walked and fed its grey and wet this morning but luckily we didn't have any damage from the wind last night
    The missing rug has been found in the washing machine yesterday she rang crying that she had norovirus she didn't she was sick once and no other symptoms so she took one of her special tablets and said she would call the doctor out if she was sick again i have told her she will be fine but she says if she has cant keep water down for an hour she will die god knows where she gets these facts from I am still waiting for confirmation for her seat on the charabanc
    Jackie O sounds like a really nice evening wish the places round here were as friendly
    Dumpling glad your foot has healed
    Nelski go you thank goodness my arms are aching from all the pom pom shaking
    Right onwards and upwards DH and I are off to London to see Mary Poppins tonight cant wait its one of my childhood favourites . Have a great day what ever you are up to xx
    Having the last laugh
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 15th Jan 20, 9:56 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 27,298 Thanks
    snoozer
    Hi everyone,

Just back from the Dr (my phone redialed 400 times before I got through to make the appointment). I have a frozen shoulder so she gave me anti-inflammatories and strong co-codamol. TBH I really just wanted a referral for physio which she agreed to and I'm debating whether to take the other stuff unless it flares up again.

Well done on the foot in the door, Nelski, fingers crossed it all works out.

I'm pleased your foot has healed dumpling and that your legs are reducing.

It's dull here but doesn't look as if it's going to rain so I'll probably take Ziggy out soon, Steve is playing golf so it's quiet here. I'll get on with some sewing as well.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 15th Jan 20, 10:46 AM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 27,776 Thanks
    csarina2
    Congrats to Nelski, Dumpling glad your pressure sore has healed, Jackie, I had a torn rotor cuff last year, it took 8 months to clear and I do occasionally get a stab from it to remind me to watch what I am doing.

Having said that I have rotated the new mattress on the bed, I did it on my own, OH is getting worse.....this morning he could not see the connection to the electric blanket, he was trying to undo the cable. I am going to have to have words with the Dr. His short term memory is dreadful. Mind you at 86 I suppose its par for the course. Problem is its rubbing off on me!!

Beef and bean casserole in the PKP, will be enough for 3 meals at least, we are having frittata tonight with salad.
    Target figure 5000 2280
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 15th Jan 20, 11:59 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 21,205 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all, just.
    I had a restless night with lots of bizarre dreams so I'm still tired today.
    We were out early for Mr Fix Its oncology appointment and they were only running half an hour late. On the way home I called in my surgery to collect my script then had it filled at the pharmacy. Now I'm back home and my coffee cup is brimming .
    I didn't do everything I wanted to do yesterday, so I will try this afternoon...... or not . I do need to fill the bird feeder as the birds have now realised that I have put a new one out. I've even given them a net of peanuts as compensation for the old one breaking . They would not eat anything from the bird house in the meantime . Oh! except the doves who would squeeze themselves in the space one at a time, somehow .
    I've asked Dad to tea tonight and he said yes, until I said I wasn't doing chips with the beef casserole and then he didn't know if he would come or not. TBH I was a bit annoyed. Anyway he can please himself whether he turns up or not, I'm past caring today. We are having HM casserole with or without him and there is some lovely fresh bread to dip in too .

Camelot wow! that's such a good likeness except my pom poms and uniform are blue and silver stripes
    Nelski I knew you could do it . I'm not putting my cheerleading stuff away just yet though.
    TA that cat will be thoroughly spoilt. Every animal deserves someone like you as their Mum.
    Gers with all the walking you do perhaps you could get a job as a post person
    To the cheerleading squad ...... please keep your uniform and pom poms at the ready. We may be called upon at any minute .
    Hugs to anyone in need and healing vibes to the poorly people. I hope all appointments go well today.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 20, 12:01 PM
    • 27,778 Posts
    • 118,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just popping in to say congrats to TA if your new furarrival, n NELSKI , well.done on the new job
    I still read along every day, but have been feeling a bit poop, so haven't wanted to bore you all
    My month in Goa was fantastic, even though my legs didn't behave themselves.But the sun, sea and splendid company did help.a lot
    Huggles to all the poorlies n peed offs today xxx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Jan 20, 6:17 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 54,824 Thanks
    Gers
    My plan to walk round swan pond cane to naught as I got distracted in a book shop, bought two books and got rewarded by a free coffee! An offer I couldn't refuse.

I picked up my order from Marks. Two pairs of size 16 trousers. Oddly, one pair fit perfectly and one pair doesn't so back they go. I'm thrilled anyway.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 15th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 50,255 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,

Lovely bright day but very cold with what I call a snow wind......snow has been vaguely forecast so won't be surprised if we have some.

Congratulations Nelski.

Didn't manage to get up early this morning.....didn't crawl into shower until 9.45, then off to knitting.....had soup afterwards then came home to see.twins wearing their glasses......they have a stigmatism and apparently 4 is the age to fit glasses which will cure the problem....who knew?? The girls are so pleased with themselves......three year old sister is NOT impressed.

DD1 is in Belfast on business tonight so just 3 of us for dinner......OH on duty, huge salad, broccoli, mushrooms, onions and baked potato with lamb chop, may never need to eat again!!

Stay safe and warm everybody.

Marie.
    Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter