We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• choille wrote: »
    We had a sorry time with a plumber from hell and he really caused us an awful lot of expense and a lot of repair work - still not got everything sorted as yet.

That's been pretty much my experience with most tradesmen while I've been renovating our house. I've virtually given up and now try and do all the work myself. Takes ages though as I have a day job too.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My OH has got mobility issues due to a chronic blood disorder that wasn't picked up for ages so he has had to try and get other people on board.

It's a revelation - taken us years to get this far - probably due to all the hassle and expense of having tradespeople who weren't being as professional as you expect them to be. Because it's a relatively isolated place the trades have had it all their own way for a long time.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    morning peeps

well that was a bit blustery last night !! we had a red flood warning for the village [ river runs through] and at places along the river side . luckily it was in the early hours so had subsided by this morning ... ive known worse !
    my fields are seriously squishy ! I keep rotating the horses but to be honest its mush every where now...
    the sheep can get under one fence and have decided that to do this gets then a cosy shelter in that field, horse free !
    I battled to get hay to them yesterday as the wind was making me wobble somewhat and between the threat of a mud bath and the horses knocking me into it , I was kernackered ! srill got mud splats all over me but better than a few days ago when I did slip and ended up looking like the mud monster ! having very long hair I always end up with mud streaks where I have inadvertently wiped my face and get my hair out of the way !! I give up at the moment ...

dave... in the event re dog .. I have plenty of people wanting to offer a home IF it needs it . even had a local MPs son asking me [his fathers a bit of a **** but hes ok ....]

well today is chicken clean out day ........ my life always exciting !

stay safe peeps ... x
  • choille
    Forumite
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    morning peeps

well that was a bit blustery last night !! we had a red flood warning for the village [ river runs through] and at places along the river side . luckily it was in the early hours so had subsided by this morning ... ive known worse !
    my fields are seriously squishy ! I keep rotating the horses but to be honest its mush every where now...
    the sheep can get under one fence and have decided that to do this gets then a cosy shelter in that field, horse free !
    I battled to get hay to them yesterday as the wind was making me wobble somewhat and between the threat of a mud bath and the horses knocking me into it , I was kernackered ! srill got mud splats all over me but better than a few days ago when I did slip and ended up looking like the mud monster ! having very long hair I always end up with mud streaks where I have inadvertently wiped my face and get my hair out of the way !! I give up at the moment ...

dave... in the event re dog .. I have plenty of people wanting to offer a home IF it needs it . even had a local MPs son asking me [his fathers a bit of a **** but hes ok ....]

well today is chicken clean out day ........ my life always exciting !

stay safe peeps ... x

I slid yesterday Alfie filling up the bird feeder. I even had mud down my pants. I must have channelled it as I scooted down the slope backwards - the dog barked at me when I came in the door dripping everywhere.
    It's rained here for months but if it stops it tends to dry really quite quickly as we are on a slope. But land that is on the level is under water.
    The wind was really fierce during the night & blowy still but the snow has turned to slush - there's no more on the tops than there was.
    We are back to the thunder snow again. Rumbling away through the night.
    I'm amazed that the little poly house is still intact as it was heaving in and out like bellows last night. I'm also amazed that the byre roof is still on. If I had the money I would get it rebuilt but it will have to hold on just with the aid of witch craft at the moment.;)
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Forumite
    and today the sun shone and the morning started bright and frosty. average 4-6 degrees.
    been hay feeding every day now .. fields are mush but not too muddy..
    they have the run of 3 fields now to try and stop the fields becoming too muddy [aprox 10 acres ]
    ben looking for someone to re roof the bow top and very difficult to find someone to do it HERE. im not shipping it off to the midlands !
    SO my mate and I have decided to have a crack at it ! we are going to do the smaller [less value] one first and if it works [via utube etc] we will do the biggun .... fingers crossed . I can do the paintwork I reckon .....
    going to do the bird watch survey this year ... birds will prob be shy now !
    they had a shoot on surrounding fields thurs/fri and didn't here many shots !? im guessing all the pheasants in my and neighbours garden were a bit shy .............. hehehehe

well I hope you are all cosy and safe peeps xx
  • Another gabion fitted. I just need to stain the fence and move the potting shed onto it and my heavy engineering is finished for another year and I can get in with planting the raised beds. 🙂

image.php?AttachmentID=7498
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • choille
    Forumite
    Windy here again but dry - very chilly & doesn't beckon me out again. Was through the community woodland earlier with colliewobble. Quite a few trees leaning precariously and showing their underskirts. Pines are so shallow rooted I suppose and once you get some down the rest will follow. They all look at the end of their lives and will be replanted with something more indigenous I hope. I'm sure they will be as it's all very well organised.

I still have a scratched eye which did heal but seems to have flared up again & I'm wearing sunglasses when outdoors which looks completely silly but keeps the wind out of it.

Indoor jobs now - listing on the bay I think as they have an offer on fees.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Forumite
    choille ... now I know this is re my dog BUT ... she is blind in one eye and is prone to it becoming red/sore/shut .. I have 2 sorts of eye drops .. one for ulcerated and the other just as an eye wash . the vet specifically said NOT to use the common etc wash if ulcerated as it makes it worse ? must not have any type of steroid for normal eye .... I will check but only use a was for the right condition or it makes things worse ... if that makes sense !!!
  • choille
    Forumite
    Thanks Alfie - I was at the eye clinic 1st time & now back with opthamist/optician who prescribed some drops. Seems that it may require a corneal graft:eek: Which is freaking me out a little, if it won't heal. But I have to keep eyes moist & think problem before was that they got too dry & it opened up the scratch.

I have stuff to put in that alters the pupil size which acts as a pain killer coz it was very sore. And stuff that is a ant-biotic & stuff that acts like tears.

Sorry to bang on but I got drops initially from nurse- try getting a GP appointment here:( & they were the wrong ones that caused me to look like I'd been punched. Ended up at A&E. Long story but hopefully it will clear up this time - fingers crossed as it's quite annoying.

Hope the dog is okay - you are marvellous with your animals Alfie.
    I have to put drops in the sheeps eyes if they get a rubbed soreness when the midges are horrendous. It's a faff but doable and does clear it up.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 January 2020 at 9:41AM
    We get our new specs this week; over £600 and I can't get the nigh-on bomb proof ones I usually have. :( Those are still in pretty good condition, though, so I could get them re-glazed for around £120. Only yesterday, when I was hedging in the glorious sunshine we had, the specs were knocked off my face twice in a session.

Spoke too soon about the neighbour being sensible. He went to an estate and land agent for advice and they told him he owns the hedge because of the 'hedge and ditch presumption,' which is explained well in the PDF beyond this link:
    https://thrings.com/news/farmers-weekly-business-clinic-understanding-the-hedge-and-ditch-rule

The above article is good, because it makes clear that the rule only applies to artificial ditches, which ours isn't, because there's always been a stream, arising naturally from issues on and above our land, all visible on old maps.

Also visible on old maps and title docs are the braces, 'f' shaped marks, used to join two pieces of land combined to give the acreage of fields on the older maps. It would make no sense to join two pieces in separate ownership. The braces on this chap's title document align with my interpretation of the boundary and responsibilities. He doesn't know any of that yet, but having done all the research, I'm not telling him....:p

I've said I'm finished with the cutting back for this season because the primroses are already coming out, so if he can do better than his present 'proof' before next winter, I'll look at it and we can go from there. He's moaning that he doesn't want a boundary dispute if he decides to sell, and I'm suggesting he gathers proper evidence before going off on one at me, so it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Meanwhile, I'll have a word with the other landowner with whom he's been having similar problems. That chap used to own our property, and his, plus much more besides, so he'll know what's what. :)

According to the Met we are -3c this morning and there's a bonfire wind coming in a day or two....:D.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback