Equitable Life with profits pension / takeover.

Options

Comments

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 12 January 2020 at 11:32PM
    Options
    My statement says 'investments in Equitable with profits' is x (split protected and non-protected rights) and my transfer value is 90.8% of x. It also says that 'value of guaranteed benefits' is 96.6% of x. It also states that 'the Equitable with profits transfer value includes an amount (23.5% of x) which represents the share of capital that has been allocated to your benefit and is payable when the benefits is taken. This amount is not guaranteed and can go down as well as up'.

I consider myself reasonably competent with finances and pensions however Equitable Life statements baffle me. I have no idea what value the uplift will be applied to!
    This seems different from my simpler policy statement.
    My wording says what the transfer value means - and how it applies - but doesn't ever quote a reduced number for it - just a simple with profits policy value and a unit linked value.
    Mines does split protected rights and personal contributions - but this is now potentially less important - as I have been told by 2 other private pension companies they now allow you to lift protected rights benefits at 55 etc.
    You can now ignore the guarantee number - it's gone.

My policy value - your x I guess - simply includes the standard 35% capital distribution - but this is in reality only approx 26% of x ( 74% of x is my base policy value (x/1.35) - 26% of x is capital distribution, calculated from base / as 35% of base (35% of 74% = 26% of x etc)).
    My personal illustration uses a figure very close - within few £100s - to this 74% of x base - and then applies the uplift - in my case primary plus secondary to the base policy value.

So if my X was 100K, my base was 74K, my old 35% distribution would have been 26K, but the uplifted figure - say if took just a 70% uplift as mid-range primary - would by 1.7*74K base = 126K.

I can shed no light on why your X is reduced by the 9.2% to get the transfer value - but it strikes me this could simply have been applied across the board to my simpler figures - which is why your distribution is only 23.5% of X - as this is also is approximately 0.908*26.

Perhaps others here have such an adjustment applied - and can shed more light on it.

By analagy to my 74% - you could look at your base for uplift being transfer value - distribution - 90.8-23.5 = 67.3% ( which is again 0.908*74) - but not sure if this is fair. As you are strictly not transferring out of the AVC scheme - why shouldn't your full underlying value remain under the control of your group / AVC administrator - i.e. the full X or rather to be more accurate now the scheme is approved - the uplifted 74% of X etc. - even if they then ask for the same 9% if you transfer away.

If the admins haven't been in touch - I suspect they might even have been or at least might be thinking of making the initial investment choices - but may equally just be in the secure cash for now. Most group schemes I have been in have had restricted choice or at least a default investment option chosen by the scheme. Suspect only time will tell - but seems poor service not to keep you informed at all.

I suspect you just need to keep nagging them - they may have been avoiding making decisions - until the scheme was approved - and are now going to need to quickly catch up to reality.

You might be lucky and get the new value from Utmost ( old EL staff ) - but worried they will bounce you back to the AVC / group managers.

Utmost are meant to be sending value and investment choice statements to new members this month - but I worry this will only be individual members - as could well have to go via Group admins for people in your position.

None of us actually know yet what the final primary percentage or changes for the recalculated secondary would be - but hoping I will know by the end of this month.

Given problems both you and Joey Soap etc are having getting any answers out of AVC / group pension administrators not sure how this will be resolved quickly.
  • Carefulspender1
    Options
    I've got two very small pension pots of around £12k each, one with EL now Utmost and one with the Pru. I'm looking to combine the two policies and wondered if many people on the forum are looking to transfer to the Prudential? I'm just looking for the safe option as I will probably draw down lump sums when I retire at 66.

Because the amounts are so small I didn't think it would be worth consulting an IFA due to charges - when I mentioned this on a Pension Wise appointment the adviser agreed.

BTW It looks like the uplift amounts are available now as I called Utmost today to find out a transfer value and was given my new transfer value with the uplift and told that a letter would go out to all former EL policy holders at the end of January with uplift values in writing. The uplift quoted worked out at a 78% which was more than I expected :)
  • pensionpawn
    Options
    I've got two very small pension pots of around £12k each, one with EL now Utmost and one with the Pru. I'm looking to combine the two policies and wondered if many people on the forum are looking to transfer to the Prudential? I'm just looking for the safe option as I will probably draw down lump sums when I retire at 66.

Because the amounts are so small I didn't think it would be worth consulting an IFA due to charges - when I mentioned this on a Pension Wise appointment the adviser agreed.

BTW It looks like the uplift amounts are available now as I called Utmost today to find out a transfer value and was given my new transfer value with the uplift and told that a letter would go out to all former EL policy holders at the end of January with uplift values in writing. The uplift quoted worked out at a 78% which was more than I expected :)

Yes, I also coincidentally called my group administrators today and the data only came through this morning. For me the uplift worked out to be 27.6% of my policy value (taking the capital distribution from the already included 26.5% to around 66%). Just slightly better that bailing from EL 18 months ago for a SIPP.
  • Scot_39
    Options
    Yes, I also coincidentally called my group administrators today and the data only came through this morning. For me the uplift worked out to be 27.6% of my policy value (taking the capital distribution from the already included 26.5% to around 66%). Just slightly better that bailing from EL 18 months ago for a SIPP.

Glad to hear you got the info so quickly.
  • pensionpawn
    Options
    Now to decide where to move it to...
  • Joey_Soap
    Options
    It may be that behind the scenes, wheels are gradually grinding into motion. This morning I had an email from Mercers telling me that the group scheme trustees were sending out a letter later this week. So, those of us with EL/Utmost AVCs in the scheme should have at least "some" information within a few days. About time too. The total silence has been appalling. I am happy that I only have a tiny pot of money with these people.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My partner is in the process of using her Equitable WithProfits fund to buy an annuity. She's just received a letter giving Utmost's transfer value - it is a factor of 1.058578 higher than the figure for "Potential unit-linked value" quoted in the Equitable's Illustration document last year.

I don't know what the actual uplift has been - the base level figure (for end-December 2019) to which the uplift percentage is applied may have changed from the figure used in the Illustration. But I thought that using the difference between her Illustration value and the new transfer value might give others a guide: multiply your Illustration value by the factor to give your new value at Utmost.
  • cronshd
    cronshd Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Just to confirm the recent posts: I called Utmost and quickly got through to an agent who gave me a confirmed policy value. Mine is a simple WP policy, and it was higher than I had been expecting based on illustrations from end of last year.

I asked about whether I have to wait until the end of the month (to get the formal letter) before transferring out, and was told "no" - that process can start immediately. The first step in the process is to be sent an 'options' letter (valid for 12 months) - although you do not have to act on that letter. I was informed that letter would be sent to me this week.

(And to confirm, the formal notifications of policy values will be "end of the month").
  • Scot_39
    Options
    Phoned Utmost to see whether could use pre switch date investment pack fund choice forms - told no. And was confirmed I was now in the secure cash fund for first 6 months then auto age default if I do nothing in the interim.

Re my post above about funds - was also told that the Utmost website still needs updating and any new cash transfers out of secure cash would go to the JPM managed unit funds. Was also told that any old Aberdeen funds may well be migrated to new JPM mamagement funds at some point - but she didn't have a hard date. Would probably check this again before move any funds though - seemed a bit vague.

Apparently now can just phone and ask for funds to be moved - and will be done effectively based on next business day if I think she said before 5. To phase investments will have to repeat process. EL used to do this / or accept by email etc. However Utmost website says they would still need to receive a paper transfer form - I guess as confirmation to keep a hard record of signed instructions - but this was not mentioned on phone.

Re Uplift Values
    Utmost will now tell you your current fund values if you ring the Aylesbury office.
    Operator I spoke to said no idea of actual numbers as of 1st Jan transfer to work out exact percantages - and didn't appear to know the primary value / secondary value split etc - but as of today - my total secure cash fund was approx 9.5 % higher than personal illustration figure.

A very nice bonus on top of illustration uplift.

I suspect my figure is higher than pafpcg - as I had a decent secondary - in the teens - at time of illustration - and the IE supplementary report suggested the overall secondary could also be higher. Without knowing the actual primary figure - difficult to know for sure though.

Letters will be sent "end of month" - exact date ? - to confirm actual uplift values applied to fund values as of 31st Dec / 1st Jan transfer.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January 2020 at 4:01PM
    Options
    cronshd wrote: »
    Just to confirm the recent posts: I called Utmost and quickly got through to an agent who gave me a confirmed policy value. Mine is a simple WP policy, and it was higher than I had been expecting based on illustrations from end of last year.

I asked about whether I have to wait until the end of the month (to get the formal letter) before transferring out, and was told "no" - that process can start immediately. The first step in the process is to be sent an 'options' letter (valid for 12 months) - although you do not have to act on that letter. I was informed that letter would be sent to me this week.

(And to confirm, the formal notifications of policy values will be "end of the month").

Thank you that is very useful.

I will ring them and do the same.

I just sent them an email which would appear to be a waste of time as the response was they cannot give deails of the uplift until the end of January and that they will respond to my email within two weeks.

Looks like ringing is the most favourable option.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback