Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sazrun
    • By sazrun 14th Jan 20, 6:41 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sazrun
    ssp confusion
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:41 PM
    ssp confusion 14th Jan 20 at 6:41 PM
    hiya

i need advice as im getting confused with the different information i have recieved from my employeer and from citizens advice

i have been off work duie to my mental health since july, i was previously off work with this the year prior also.
    since july i have recieved no money from my work as they say i have used up my ssp, however citizens advice say i should be recieving ssp.

my only income currently is carers allowance as i take care of my partner and universal credit which my partner recieves for us.
    im really struggling financlly and dont know what to do at this point so advice would be really appreciated
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 14th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    If you were back at work for more than 8 weeks between your periods of sickness your 28 week entitlement to SSP starts again. If less than this the second period of sickness is treated as an extension of the first so if SSP entitlement has already been exhausted no further SSP will be due.

In order to qualify for SSP you need to have been earning at least 118/week in the weeks leading up to your period of sickness.

There’s an employer guide here https://www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay/eligibility-and-form-ssp1. If you think you should be getting SSP you may wish to refer your employer to this.
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 14th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    When your SSP entitlement ends (or if possible well before it ends) your employer should issue you with an SSP1 form and return any fit notes which cover time after it ends. This enables you to make a claim for ESA, full details are on the SSP1 form.

Have you been issued with an SSP1 form or any written notice of why SSP is not being paid?
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 14th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    When your SSP entitlement ends (or if possible well before it ends) your employer should issue you with an SSP1 form and return any fit notes which cover time after it ends. This enables you to make a claim for ESA, full details are on the SSP1 form.

Have you been issued with an SSP1 form or any written notice of why SSP is not being paid?
    Originally posted by chrisbur
    The OP would need to meet the qualifying NI conditions to claim ESA which they may not do if they have already had long periods of sickness. In any case if they did receive ESA they would be no better off because it would simply be deducted from the UC they receive in future.

Good point that if the employer thinks SSP is not payable they should issue an SSP1 confirming why.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,161Posts Today

5,972Users online

Martin's Twitter