Symbio Energy feedback

Comments

• griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tafrock wrote: »
    I don't Condone giving false readings myself but I can kind of understand why some people may
    False readings vs False estimates :undecided
  • tk47
    tk47 Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 5:39PM
    I see Symbio have been busy trying to defend themselves on a well known review site again today.

A common cut & pasted paragraph seems to be
    We understand that you are not content with your recent bill. Please note that the energy industry is based on estimates and hence there will be a variation in the billing for each month (there is a larger variation in your bill during the winter period). However, customers which provides monthly meter reads are less likely to have a variation in their monthly direct debit.
    (my highlighting)

This simply is not true.
    Every customer was supplied with a copy of the terms and conditions, and all I expext is for Symbio to abide by them (in particular terms 3.3.6 and 3.17).
    Furthermore, I have been supplied by Symbio since the summer. Symbio have an actual meter reading for the last day of every month since I have been supplied by them (and on occassions, when I remember, also on the 1st day of the following month, as it seems Symbio pick & choose which of these days to bill to)

To be fair to Symbio, they have now sent me a personalised response to my complaint. Well I say a personalised response to my complaint but...

The response is personalised (in that it gives some specific details in regards my account) but it doesn't really address my complaint. I had hoped I was quite clear in my basis of the complaint, and also what resolutive actions I was excpectiong of Symbo.
    But Symbio in their wordy response, actually ask me what I want as a resolution. So presumably they have not actually read my complaint properly, as what I was hoping for is all specified therein.

On the plus side, I do now have a formal complaint number from Symbio.
    That is something that I specifically requested and will prove invaluable should this matter need to progress to the ombudsman at the beginning of March.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 January 2020 at 12:10AM
    Boohoo wrote: »
    I put my readings in on 31/12 and then put a new reading on 01/01.

I had only used 5 kwh for 01/01 as i was away New Years eve night got home late New Years day and when i got my bill Symbio had estimated that i will use 28 or 29kwh for 1 day.....

If you're getting the same "broken" bills I'm getting you'll see that you haven't been charged for those 28 units. Give your readings on the 1st every month and you'll get their estimate of that day's consumption free every month!
    Swipe wrote: »
    I think they'll just use their "Winter" 189% algorithm again for Feb.

Even if they do, the Feb direct debit payment will be equal to the cost of January's consumption, so no surprise large payments.
  • griffb
    Talldave wrote: »
    Even if they do, the Feb direct debit payment will be equal to the cost of January's consumption, so no surprise large payments.
    No big surprises, but with a more reasonable February estimate the d/d would be nearer zero; in my case an estimate of maybe 500 units less a "variance" of 450 or so in respect of January.
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I have been with them since about April 2019 and up until December the bill were exactly in line with what I expected. I gave them regular reads and never any issues. However they say the issue with me is too many meter reads a month and in particular giving the last read on the 30th December.

However will see what happens when my Feb bill arrives. Also I can afford to pay the inflated bills but I do not want to be in a position whereby the account is a lot in credit and they suddenly go bust and then have to go through the lengthy process with a new supplier getting the credit back.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Too many meter readings?? Only with symbio eh
  • Talldave
    I have been with them since about April 2019 and up until December the bill were exactly in line with what I expected. I gave them regular reads and never any issues. However they say the issue with me is too many meter reads a month and in particular giving the last read on the 30th December.

However will see what happens when my Feb bill arrives. Also I can afford to pay the inflated bills but I do not want to be in a position whereby the account is a lot in credit and they suddenly go bust and then have to go through the lengthy process with a new supplier getting the credit back.

As long as they continue reconciling the bill every month it's not going to be possible to build up a credit.

I've concluded that more than one reading a month is pointless and just makes the bill even more unintelligible!
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    As long as they continue reconciling the bill every month it's not going to be possible to build up a credit.

I've concluded that more than one reading a month is pointless and just makes the bill even more unintelligible!

So just a single reading on the first of the month is best for extra bonus units?
  • Talldave
    Swipe wrote: »
    So just a single reading on the first of the month is best for extra bonus units?

Yes. Although to be accurate it's one day after the end of their previous "Flat units" estimation period, which for the last 3 bills for me has ended on the last day of the month, so I've been submitting readings on the 1st. But when I first signed up the estimate used to run to the 1st.

This month I will gamble on the 2nd for my reading as it's a Sunday, to see if I can get 2 days of freebie units. Hopefully it will be OK if I submit just after midnight on the 2nd!!
  • griffb
    edited 14 January 2020 at 4:24PM
    Just had a phone call from Symbio. Ran through options, offered fixed d/d (set at the amount estimated when I first signed up) with a review in summer. While we were talking I was running through some rough numbers in my head and decided that the Feb payment will probably actually be less than the proposed fixed d/d thanks to the huge variance against the January estimate. As summer (and lower estimates) will soon be here we agreed to leave things as they are.

It was a long call (about 25 minutes) so points to Symbio for taking the time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback