Onwards to freedom!

Comments

• VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    SSS - great to hear that things are still going well.

I’ve taken inspiration from your earlier ‘net worth’ tables and started my own. Unfortunately at the moment if I excluded equity in our house, the remaining net worth is currently low but is a work in progress.

Private pension and S&S ISA are now in place, so fingers crossed for decent growth there.

I’ve taken 2 weeks of unpaid parental leave in both 2017 and 2018 (none in 2019 as I already had paternity leave this year for second DD) and intend to keep doing so in future years.
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you saw on my diary that I took (or was planning to take) unpaid parental leave. I did so for the 6 weeks summer holiday this year. For me it worked out a net loss of £41 per day (lost income, but reduced by amount of childcare I would have had to pay) and it was absolutely worth it. I feel very lucky I was in a position to afford to do that. Would highly recommend it! I'm looking forward to next summer already... particularly as a full time worker, that time with the children feels extra special.
  • Thanks all for stopping by and posting :)

KC - bobbing along, although not at all exciting, is fine by me :) I hope all is well in your world? I try to limit my screen time these days, and unfortunately your thread is far too popular for me to be able to keep up! :o I can read your "that's what I want" in two ways, I hope the "happy to hear things are bobbing along SSS" is the correct interpretation, not "things are not bobbing along nicely for KC"! _pale_

VDOT - the include or exclude equity question used to rage on the fire blogs. Maybe it still does, I've not been keeping up. Seems a nonsense question to me. Home equity absolutely forms part of your NW. If you had a 500k home with a £1 mortgage, and £500 on a credit card, would you be a net debtor or well off? Simple as that :) Even if you were house rich and cash poor, do you have a nice fat asset that can be sold to solve your cashflow problem? Home equity in my opinion is 100% part of your net worth. Of course other values could be of use when pondering the future, so measuring more liquid assets, or in my case assets that earn an income, is useful, so I track both NW and interest accruing assets (NW - home - cars). Thanks for the unpaid leave feedback - great to hear from someone who has gone for it and loved it so much they want to keep coming back for more! :)

TM - long time no speak! Hope you are well :) Thank you so much for both opening my eyes to the possibility in the first place, and for reporting back that it was well worth it and something you plan to keep doing! :cool: I already use AL to cover Christmas holidays, I'm thinking I might request UL to cover a fortnight in Easter and maybe a fortnight in Summer. Would no doubt be easier to swing with employer as it's a more "normal" holiday length, so less likely to result in them clutching their pearls and reaching for the smelling salts :rotfl: OH could cover remaining school holidays, and we'd have a big fat AL allowance each left to spend on family all together time. I was nervous requesting my reduction in hours, but it all went smoothly and my employer was very accommodating, hopefully it'll be more of the same when requesting UL.

Worked out my daily gross to be a little over £180, which seems like a lot when I write it down. That's about 3k off my gross if I take 4 weeks UL. We could no doubt source childcare or make the decision that it's far cheaper for OH to take UL, so I should just work through, bring home the bacon, and leave the childrearing to her. That feels all kinds of wrong to me though. I want my children to look back fondly on their childhood with both Mum and Dad. Selfishly I want to look back on their childhoods and remember being present and involved. I'm tempted to say no matter the cost per day I'd still think it's worth it, but what if scenarios are fun to play out... If I had the opportunity to earn a million at the cost of being absent for one year, I'd probably take it. I'd be 100% present after that year, so just an example of delayed gratification really. That's not a realistic prospect though, the kind of money I can earn, taking good chunks regularly over time wins :)

I never truly had a proper appreciation of how conflicted women can be over the working mum versus stay at home mum thing. I think I get it now. It seems no matter which way you go, others will vilify you, and you will often find yourself feeling guilty for one reason or another. This whole UL option makes for a massive opportunity to hit the middle ground and feel reasonably happy that you're doing a bit of all the right things - role model, bread winner, carer, friend. Working, but working less, definitely suits me and OH perfectly. We're very fortunate to be able to treat it as an option, I fully understand that's a luxury many people don't have. I'm thankful for our comfortable lives, and that we live in a time where it's becoming more normal for fathers to take on a role other than bread winner. We're a way off equality (gender pay gap, etc), but over time if things become more equitable across the board (time off work, etc) I imagine the traditional disparities would all balance out. Just in time for us all to be made redundant through automation :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    KC - bobbing along, although not at all exciting, is fine by me :) I hope all is well in your world? I try to limit my screen time these days, and unfortunately your thread is far too popular for me to be able to keep up! :o I can read your "that's what I want" in two ways, I hope the "happy to hear things are bobbing along SSS" is the correct interpretation, not "things are not bobbing along nicely for KC"! _pale_
    Thanks for your update, and for this - your "happy to hear things are bobbing along SSS" *is* the correct interpretation, you're right :rotfl: sorry about that. My thread moves fast because I prattle a lot, I'm afraid :o but there was a half price Fred Olsen cruise in there recently, focussed on the Baltic, that was fun!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • VDOT47
    It is an interesting discussion re equity - it is obviously an asset for the reasons you mention, but of course if I realised the value now it would need to be used to pay for alternative accommodation. Obviously the view on this changes as we get more equity and closer to retirement, when downsizing and releasing some equity becomes an option.

Getting a bit obsessive on checking my pension company app every day to see how my (currently very small) pension is performing. How often do you check? I know you used to do quarterly updates on here as part of your net asset calculations, but did you monitor more frequently in between? Just want to know if I’m too obsessive, or if regular checks on performance are normal!!
  • Thanks for the clarification KC, glad to hear all is well in your world :) I've always admired the fact that you get to do a lot of nice things, especially when as I recall there were many naysayers on the pensions board when you discussed your retirement budget. From caravan holidays with your sister to cruising the Baltic, to the more day to day stuff like U3A it sounds like you're packing in a LOT of good times on a budget! :)

Hi VDOT :)

That's exactly why I monitor two sets of figures - net worth (everything), and the more useful progress towards FI (which assuming we'll always live in a similar house and drive similar cars, can be based on the IAA value). You could always include a suitable fudge factor in the figures if downsizing is definitely part of the plan :)

I check bank accounts weekly, and carry out a monthly check on pension, S&S, and PBs. I still have all the figures needed to post the old monthly/quarterly status updates, I just don't think it's worth bothering or that it makes interesting reading any more. No overtime or freelance work these days, steady salary, 1k to S&S each month, same salsac to pension each month, if any left over from monthly spend allowance shift to easy access savings. The monthly spend allowance is pretty tight, so the "extra" saved each month isn't worth mentioning, and is dipped into as needed to pay annual bills like insurances, Christmas, etc. The only real variable movement in NW is as a result of market fluctuations, nothing I can do about those, so minimising the cognitive load and time spent on the subject seems to make sense to me.

That said, I'm sure I used to check more often and it was a conscious decision to rein it in :o

I've been setting up next year's accounts spreadsheet this morning. Our annual spends total is 18k, so all things being equal 750pm covers my share. Interesting to note that all my car related costs average out to exactly 20% of my outgoings, and that all my regular home related bills (tax, gas, electric, water, fibre, TV, etc) come to exactly 30%. That leaves exactly 50% of spends to cover literally everything else. I don't really have a point to make, I was just amused by the fact that my spends across those big macro categories divide so cleanly into such nice round percentages :)

I find that 750pm figure to be quite exciting... I could work just 22 hours a week at minimum wage and not need to spend a penny of savings or investments, we'd just bob along on an even keel. If I was happy to start drawing down at 4% to supplement income (conveniently ignoring the inaccessible pension balance), I'd need to earn 208pm, so 6 hours per week at minimum wage would be sufficient. I'm not FI yet, and as a team we're not even half way there yet (though as previously discussed OHs view is quite different in that she's happy to work part time til state pension, so we'd never need to hit 100% team FI), but the bar being set so low really helps me sleep soundly at night!

Public service announcement - Pay off your mortgage, reduce the monthly nut as far as possible, keep on earning a bit of cash, and invest what you can... You'll never worry about money again! :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the clarification KC, glad to hear all is well in your world :) I've always admired the fact that you get to do a lot of nice things, especially when as I recall there were many naysayers on the pensions board when you discussed your retirement budget. From caravan holidays with your sister to cruising the Baltic, to the more day to day stuff like U3A it sounds like you're packing in a LOT of good times on a budget! :)
    Thanks SSS, thats lovely! I could write a loooong editorial about financial choices, but I'm not going to :rotfl: not here :D
    Public service announcement - Pay off your mortgage, reduce the monthly nut as far as possible, keep on earning a bit of cash, and invest what you can... You'll never worry about money again! :)
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Perceptive :p

Loving your calculations about that £750 p.m., bringing it into the real world.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • VDOT47
    I think, like you, our baseline monthly commitments for all utilities, council tax, food, insurances, phone etc come to about £1500pcm. Sadly, we still have a mortgage commitment of £1200 pcm and credit card repayments of £200, childcare costs etc. So at the moment our real monthly costs are closer to £3000 (and that’s before including holidays, presents, clothes, haircuts, annual car costs and discretionary spending).

It does mean it is hard to throw as much as I’d like at pension and S&S ISA bit does give me hope that our NUMBER in retirement would be no higher than 30k. Helps keep things in perspective when I think about how much we need to be FI and to allow me to think about going part time or even retiring early altogether (which will hopefully happen between 55 and 60.

Monthly checks on pension and ISA values is very restrained ��
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    SuperSecretSquirrel Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 November 2019 at 9:46AM
    Hi KC and VDOT, thanks for stopping by :)

Our 18k figure is all in except childcare (coming to an end soon), though I'm sure the children will become more expensive over time. No mortgage or debt, and very modest holidays are currently key for us. VDOT, your expenses will drop massively once mortgage and childcare are in the rear view :) You might find that a lower number might be realistic, £1500 core + £500 discretionary monthly budget sounds pretty generous to me, shaving 6k off your annual spend would drop your required pot size by 150k if using a 4% withdrawal rate - you'd get there all the sooner :D Nothing to say you can't add more years at the end to boost the pot and allow a more luxurious lifestyle, but you'd be making a conscious trade off at that point.

A lot of people seem to break the journey up by introducing mini targets. Rather than aim for a percentage of total ideal FI, they might aim for a leaner FI first (25x annual "survival" budget, or maybe 25x annual shortfall from a part time low wage job, etc), then ramp up from there. I like imagining possibilities and options. Drives OH nuts, but fixing on an idea and aiming for it works well for me. Over time the end aim will no doubt change a bit, but I don't see any harm in that. Breaking up the journey makes it so much easier, more a series of nice brisk walks than one insane ultra marathon! :D
  • VDOT47
    Yes, it would be good to have some mid range targets - I’ll have a think!

I view the next 3 years as ‘base building’ ie. moving house, rebuilding savings and getting at least a small amount into pensions in the meantime. Then have about 15 years hitting the pension as hard as possible in the hope of retiring late 50s! Fingers crossed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family