Barclays Basic Current Accounts

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you already have the account and also full facility accounts elsewhere your basic account wont get closed, but could be updated if you or Barclays decide to do this.

Does this answer your question? im not sure as there are a few questions in the thread.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Westie983 wrote: »
    If you already have the account and also full facility accounts elsewhere your basic account wont get closed, but could be updated if you or Barclays decide to do this.

Does this answer your question? im not sure as there are a few questions in the thread.

Westie983

It certainly does, thanks.
    The only thing is it's a grey area as to wether Monzo accounts are " Full " or " Basic "
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    I have a basic nationwide account, TSB basic account and a santander everyday current account... They seem to be fine for me without being closed.

Isn't monzo or starling working out for you? If you want to build up credit history then you might be best getting a sim card from o2 or something. As basic accounts won't really make any difference to your credit file unless you somehow default on it.
  • venomx
    paragon909 wrote: »
    I have a basic nationwide account, TSB basic account and a santander everyday current account... They seem to be fine for me without being closed.

Isn't monzo or starling working out for you? If you want to build up credit history then you might be best getting a sim card from o2 or something. As basic accounts won't really make any difference to your credit file unless you somehow default on it.

Monzo is fine, but i don't like shopping on websites other than paypal with it because it has my main money in it. :j
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    venomx wrote: »
    Monzo is fine, but i don't like shopping on websites other than paypal with it because it has my main money in it. :j

I guess people have their own ways of operating accounts.... But what difference would a full or basic current account with a traditional bank make?

Why don't you get a savings account and transfer money out when you need it...
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It certainly does, thanks.
    The only thing is it's a grey area as to wether Monzo accounts are " Full " or " Basic "

Monzo accounts can provide overdrafts (although I don't think they're automatically given).
    Overdrafts aren't possible with Basic bank accounts.

So I would say Monzo accounts are full current accounts.
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:18PM

If you can't get a credit card for online purchases you might want to consider a Revolut Prepaid card. They support virtual card numbers so you can give every website you use a different card number. If one of those sites gets hacked, that card number can't be used elsewhere.

Edit - just realised virtual card numbers require a premium account (£6.99/month)
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2018/03/revolut-to-allow-customers-to-pay-via-virtual-disposable-card
  • venomx
    Thanks for all the info guys, i will use Starling instead of Barclays if they get funny with me having more than one account.

Is it not discrimination ? If you have a good credit score you can make as many accounts as you want, but if its mediocre you can only have one,
    Are barclays the only bank which operate under this policy ?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Is it not discrimination ?
    Of course it's discrimination but there's nothing inherently unlawful or even unfair about discrimination as such.

Discrimination against people because of protected characteristics (age, sex, colour, etc, etc), now that's a different story....
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:46PM
    Is it not discrimination ? If you have a good credit score you can make as many accounts as you want, but if its mediocre you can only have one,
    Are barclays the only bank which operate under this policy ?
    Forget your credit score. It has no meaning. Lenders do not see it and therefore do not use it either. Lenders score you using the data held in your credit files and data you supply in your application. They then take all that data and score you against their independent criteria and policies.

You need to demonstrate, in your credit file, that you can manage credit accounts responsibly if you want to open new mainstream credit accounts. The easiest way to do that, is by opening a credit card account with a sub-prime lender, such as Vanquis or CapitalOne, starting with a £250-£500 credit limit. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family