PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Red cabbage recipe wanted please.

Comments

• Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I have cabbage to use up (any kind) I just shred it and add it to soups, stews, mince, curry, bolognaise - basically pretty much anything! Today I am making a mince pie and have added the last half of a spring cabbage that was nearly past its best.
  • Shred it and put it in a jar with strong vinegar.
    Make Coleslaw.
    Make Red Cabbage and Apple (just google it loads of recipes)

(A tip for shredding cabbage or similar veggies, cut it in half - remove the worst of the cabbage stalk with a boning knife, then use a slicing machine set to however fine you wish to shred it) One cabbage will fill a couple of buckets if shredded this way. Great for barbies when you have lots of Pitta Breads to fill.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Noozan wrote:
    Shred it finely and use as you would white cabbage in coleslaw.

Shred and braise with a splash of red wine and red wine vinegar (and some grated nutmeg if you have any) Add a dribble of honey when it's nearly done.

similar to my receipe, shred, along with 1 large red onion and 2 finely sliced and peeled apples. braise for nearly 2 hours, and for last half hour add either red wine or orange juice...the latter is child friendly.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    shred it and put in heavy based saucepan with large glass of port, juice of one orange, tbs butter and tbs of dark brown sugar
    let it simmer on very low for 1hr
    we always have this with xmas dinner
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Yoga_Girl
    Yoga_Girl Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any of the above coleslaw recipes but with raisens or sultanas added.

Or stir-fry it with dash of soy sauce.
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    1. Chop it then fry it up with some fennel seeds, or better still aniseed. Yumm...

2. Grated cabbage + crushed cashew nuts

3. Chopped/grated cabbage + rasins

4. Interestingly, the water off boiled red cabbage also works for testing pH. So you could use it to test pH of a soil sample or anything else. Changes colour blue or pink, but can't remember which way round. Try adding some vinegar to it since that is alkaline. Then you'll know which way round.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Lots of fab ideas. Thank you.

However, Glad, I'm not sure that the cabbage will last until Christmasicon12.gif

And I can test my soil into the bargain! And excellent spend of 20p on the cabbage I feel.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    You lot all get so technical sometimes.

Cut it up and boil or steam it lightly. Add butter, salt and pepper and eat.

Red cabbage is ace.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    does anyone have a really tasty recipe for this? mil does a great version but won't share her secrets
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Get her drunk on a few sherries over Christmas and wheedle the recipe out of her for next year!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure