PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Red cabbage recipe wanted please.

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    It weren't me :D my recipe takes hours, but I often make coleslaw with red cabbage -I like the combination of red and orange (from the carrots).

And thanks for reminding me that I have cooked red cabbage in the freezer -just the thing to go with franks and beans for tea tonight.
  • Nancy888
    Nancy888 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do mine in the SC...

Cabbage shredded
    250 ml water
    Bramley apple peeled, cored and chopped
    2 tblsps Red wine vinegar (or red wine :rotfl:)
    2 tblsps Muscovado sugar

Bung it all in the SC
    3-4 hours on high
    6-7 on low
    8-10 on auto

HTH Nancy
    Anywhere is within walking distance - if you have the time!!
  • nickyc_2
    Options
    Need some help.
    Yesterday I made a big dish of braised red cabbage and apple although it's cooked through ok it has quite a strong taste of vinegar and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I can "fix" this?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    nickyc wrote: »
    Need some help.
    Yesterday I made a big dish of braised red cabbage and apple although it's cooked through ok it has quite a strong taste of vinegar and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I can "fix" this?

Either cook for longer to boil off the vinegar, or add bicarbonate of soda to neutralise it ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    What about adding some (more) brown sugar?
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • nickyc_2
    nickyc_2 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    excellent, thanks I'll give it go...probably more cooking and a bit of sugar for good measure.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always add a small amount of brown sugar too. I also add a couple of bay leaves and a large sliced apple laid over the shredded red cabbage. Yum!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Today I read in this forum about people making red cabbage pickle I thought why not? I have a red cabbage that needs using, spices, vinegar etc.

But I am notoriously short in the patience department and tend to cut corners, so I boiled up the vinegar and spices, chopped the cabbage, gave the jar a quick swig of boiling water (for hygiene), chucked the cabbage in the jar, topped it with some salt and sugar, shook it all about, then covered the lot with the hot vinegar.

Now suddenly I am having cold feet and worries, what about botulin and all the nasties that can happen when you do not follow the pickling stages properly? Is there any chance that because I put the cabbage in without first salting it I might be poisoning myself and family? Is the vinegar enough to preserve it and keep the environment acidic enough to avoid for the botulin to form?

Any suggestions and help gratefully received. Thank you.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • ANNEGEDDES
    Options
    oh crickey i did some the other day and just chucked it in to the vinegar ooops!!!
    Not setting myself any comp targets this year, didnt seem to work last year!!! £120.98/£2008
    2009/ maybyliene eyeshadow, rimmel polish, loreal foundation, Glamour: hairbrush
    boots card =2625
    quidoco= 110.00
    Thanks to all that take the time to post
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Annegeddes, if you taste yours first and then I never see you on the thread I shall know not to taste mine then!:eek: And viceversa of course :rotfl:

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure