PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Comments

• Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Apologies if anyone has already posted this tip

But when cooking mince that's not extra lean steak mince I always dry fry it seperately before it goes in with my fried onions/garlic/whatever

I find that a TON of water/fat comes out of it which I generally pour on my dog's dry food. Doing the dry fry first improves the flavour of the finished dish as a lot of the cheaper mince can tend to steam as opposed to sizzle when you try to fry it for your spag bol.

Only bad thing about it is the extra pan when you're washing up :)
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    HOLsale wrote:
    is that my stromboli you're referring to?

i suppose you could do that actually, you could do the same basic bread recipe but use veg oil instead of olive oil and instead of garlic etc you could add dried fruit/nuts/seeds and use cinnamon and cloves etc

then for the mixture you could add in maybe some chutney and bacon or maybe some dried fruits that had been soaked for a bit like apricots, sultanas and pineapple, mango etc a bit of coconut etc mmmmm sounds good, i might have to try that now :T

Hi Holsale,
    just wanted to say that I tried your "stomboli sweet" this morning and it is absolutely delicious (added raisins, sultanas, dates, cloves and cinnamon as you suggested). I can't wait to try the savoury version. I didn't realise you could use Self raising flour and yeast in a breadmaker. I am so pleased because I have loads of self raising flour and wanted to use it up... now I know what to do with it. Thank you for the recipe... definitely a keeper. Just a couple of things: I normally weigh everything but you use cups.... what size cups do you use (I guessed this morning) When I make it next, I will use less liquid/water, but apart from that totally yummy.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Great ideas!

I like to keep a quantity of very cheap, basic Savoury Mince in my freezer. To ring the changes, I add different types of toppings.

Cobbler Topping
    1pt milk
    grated nutmeg
    6oz fine semolina
    3oz cheese, grated
    1oz butter
    1 egg
    1oz butter, melted
    1 tbsp parmesan cheese

Prepare the topping at least 2hrs in advance (I make it in the morning)
    Pour the milk into a pan, add nutmeg and semolina. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 3-4 mins until very thick stirring all the time. Remove from heat. Beat in the cheese, butter and egg.
    Return to the pan and cook, stirring for another minute.
    Line a shallow tin (swiss roll) with cling film and spread the mixture evenly ove the base. Leave to cool, place in the fridge until firm.

Cut into squares and arrange over the hot savoury mince overlapping each piece slightly. Brush with the melted butter and grated parmesan.
    Either, brown under a preheated grill or bake in the oven for about 12-15mins Gas 6 or equivalent.

Scone Topping:
    8oz plain flour
    3tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    2oz butter
    6fl oz milk
    egg for glazing
    sprinkle of sesame seeds (optional)

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, rub in the butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the milk to make a soft dough.
    Roll out on a floured surface and cut into rounds.
    Arrange the scone rounds on top of your savoury mince brush with egg glaze and if chosen, sprinkle on the seeds.
    Bake for approx 15 - 20 mins Gas 6

Crumble Topping:
    3oz plain flour
    2oz butter
    2oz fresh breadcrumbs
    2oz coursely chopped nuts ( can be omitted)

Sift flour into a bowl then rub in the butter until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the breadcrumbs and nuts if using.
    Spoon over your savoury mince and back Gas 5 until topping is crisp and golden - about 30 - 40 mins.

French Topping
    1 small French loaf - or a baguette
    mustard (if liked)
    2oz softened butter
    4oz of cheese

Cut the French loaf into 1in slices and spread with mustard (or mix the mustard and butter together, then spread on) or just butter. Lay the rounds on top of the hot mince and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake Gas 6 for approx 12 - 15 mins.

Chunky Veg Topping
    1lb potatoes
    2 courgettes
    2 carrots
    2oz fresh breadcrumbs
    2oz grated cheddar cheese

Peel the potatoes and cut into 1in cubes. Cut the courgettes and carrots into even slices. Put the potatoes and carrots into a pan with just enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the courgettes and cook for a further 5 mins or until *just* tender then drain.
    Spoon the veg mix over the hot mince and then sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and grated cheese.
    Either brown under the grill or put in the oven Gas 6 for 5 mins.

I have also used these topping ideas when using up leftover chicken from the carcass which I added some bacon and mixed into a white sauce.
    Fish in a parsley sauce would also be rather tasty with these toppings too.

My dh doesn't eat pasta, so I make him a topping for his spag bol sauce while we get the pasta.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well trying not to spend much as its only 4 weeks to hols. I have found 4 big packs of mince in the freezer any ideas what I can do with them other than Shepards pie and Spag Bol. Want loads of left overs for lunches and freezer. Any suggestions?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yep!

In the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky, at the top of the forum, listed under "meat" you'll find mince ideas, and if you look under "inspiration" there might be more ideas and, there are others in the Old Style Recipe Collection and more still in the Slow Cooker Collection.

You can find them in our "Indexed Collections" sticky at the top of the forum listing, or you can follow the clue in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I'd be tempted to make some pies. Bulk out some of the mince with lentils, onions and mushrooms, use for pie filling, great for lunches, cold and freezes well too.

You could layer it with onion, tomato, mushroom and any veg you have left over and top with suet crust pastry, (like a beef cobbler) bake, and that is pretty good the day after too.

How about meatloaf? Eat freshly cooked with mash or chips and slice the day after and use for sandwiches or salad.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    With kids, you can always try the DIY approach with tortillas and sloppy joes etc. A bonus is that they actively eat all the veg without you even have to come up with strategies!!:D:D:D:D
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    yummm sloppy joes how do u make them
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chillie con carne - add plenty of kidney beans & some sweetcorn to make it go further. Serve with rice or with tacos / flour tortillas.

Savory mince - make like shepheds pie filling but with extra gravy. Serve in giant yorkshires or with mash. Bulk out with lentils, carrots, onions, mushrooms or whatever you have to hand. A dash of Worcester sauce helps the flavour.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lyndsay_21 wrote:
    yummm sloppy joes how do u make them
    WHAT is a sloppy joe?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.