PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken pie?

Options

Comments

• lister
    lister Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Would it just be a plain white sauce or if not, what? What would be the best seasonings to use?

I would use quite a thick white sauce normally (although actually a roux can be good as well, but would normally use this for red meats in a pie). As for seasonings, apart from salt and pepper, how about some mixture of crushed garlic, rosemary, sage, finely chopped onions etc. Garlic, sage and a good dollop of white wine is good.

I used to use Campbells soups as others have mentioned, purely for speed, but I now look at their salt content in horror and so spend a little more time on it now.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Know what you mean about the white sauce being a bit bland sometimes, so for pies, whether it be chicken, ham or vegetarian ones, my white sauce is along these lines.

1 onion finely diced, saute on butter over a gentle heat until softened, stirring, but don't allow to go brown. If you are using mushrooms, bung them in now too. Then add flour and stir about for 1 min.
    Instead of using all milk, use a combination of half stock and half milk (use either veg or chicken stock cube, or if you have home made stock, even better).
    Gradually stir in hot stock to flour and onion mix, then add milk, stirring constantly (or whisking), until sauce has reached simmering point and thickened. Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
    Then add cooked chicken or whatever you are throwing in to pie, and carry on as normal.
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Am experimenting with a combination of the various suggestions on this thread.

On the grill now, browning off on top, is a great big casserole dish containing:

FILLING: chicken, leek, mushrooms (reduced to 10p at Tesco :D) sweetcorn, Campbell's condensed chicken soup (on BOGOF at the Co-op!), a generous dash of white wine.

TOPPING: mashed spuds still in their skins with a bit of butter and milk.

It smells yum and I'll give ou an update on the taste :D
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Options
    Update on pie: it was very tasty, which is just as well as it was a humungous pie and will do three more portions! BUT (and that's quite a large BUT) I did find that the Campbell's soup gave it a very definite "shop-bought" taste, something I've become unaccustomed to since turning OS :D The main issue was that I found it too salty for my taste (and that's with no additional salt added, other than a pinch in the water I cooked the spuds in).

I still think the creme fraiche version sounds absolutely divine so will be attempting that next time I think :D

Rzl xx
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I've looked everywhere for the recipe for chicken pie, and i can't find it :confused:
    I just wondered if you water down the Campbells Condensed Soup that i want to add to the chicken, or do i just use it as it is,mix it with the chicken and some mushrooms, and bung it in a pie?
  • brokenwings
    brokenwings Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i put half a tin of milk in with mine then just mix in the chicken and veg or mushrooms and cover with pastry.
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've already bought the soup tho cos i was gonna do them for tonight...just didn't know if i use it straight from the tin or water it down.
    I've seen the recipe on here somewhere, but for the life of me i can't find it now :confused:
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Maybe taste the soup and see if it tastes to strong, then you can see whether you would like to water it down!!! I wouldnt, but we like stronger tastes.
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Options
    The thread you're looking for is here - I did a search for it under threads started by me :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=169813
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    I always use it just as it is from the tin. The heat seems to thin it down sufficiently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure