PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you cook perfect rice?

Comments

• I do a mix of wild rice with short grain brown rice. The wild rice usually takes about 40 minutes - I use a large quantity of water bring to boil then simmer. After around 20 minutes I add the brown rice - turning the heat down low.

I dont measure the water (brown rice seems to absorb a lot more water than white rice) - just add if it is getting low.

Towards the end (last 5 or 10 minutes) I add some frozen peas. Some whole (peeled) garlic cloves added at the beginning add flavour so cutting down the need for salt. Long grain brown rice also works. Sweetcorn can also be added as well as the peas.

I cooked a chinese meal at the weekend and used star anise and ginger in the cooking water - this added a lovely flavour.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i use a rice cooker - perfect every time:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    "Foulproof" rice?

Lock up the dog/cat?
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Use basmati rice, I have used the economy brands with no trouble

Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water first

Throw into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for about 10 minutes (taste to check at about 8 mins)

Rinse with boiling water when cooked

Cooked this way it's almost as easy as pasta and less work than peeling potatoes ;)
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    spook wrote:
    I always had disasters cooking rice until the other week I tried following Delia Smith's recipe - this has worked perfectly for me twice now. From memory (sorry if it's wrong)...
    • Fry finely chopped onion for 3-4 minutes in a little oil
    • Add 10 fl oz basmati rice (no need to wash) and stir briefly so that it is coated with oil and glistening
    • Pour on 1 pint boiling water and add salt - stir once
    • Put lid on pan and reduce heat to lowest setting. Do not stir again.
    • Wait 15 minutes, then remove from heat and transfer to warmed serving dish, cover with clean tea towel to absorb moisture and leave for 5 minutes.

this is the method i have recently begun adopting... haven't had a duff plate of rice yet! though i don't bother with the tea towel bit or the onion unless i'm feeling especially chef-like

edit: that's not quite her method... in my book she advises measuring everything volumetrically and use 2 parts water to 1 part rice. i use my breadmaker measuring cup and have 100ml of rice with 200ml of water for one generous portion of rice.
  • Karma67
    Karma67 Posts: 541 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    MY foolproof method is.....you need and electric/ceramic hob for this one! (won't work with gas as heat goes when u turn it off ;) )

Pour in the amount of rice u require,
    Pour in boiling water from kettle until it is about 1cm above the rice level (saves on electric ;) )
    Put on cooker and bring back to the boil,
    Switch off cooker put on lid
    Wait 15-20 mins
    Fluff up and serve

Perfect everytime :D

HTH
  • kabie
    kabie Posts: 537 Forumite
    mine's similar to yours karma but I have gas.
    Rinse rice
    put rice in pan with enough cold water to cover plus 1-2cm extra, also a pinch of salt and a smidge of oil or butter, (i also add a couple of crushed cardamon pods)
    Wack up to high heat until it boils and water evaporates: should get little "pits" in the rice (that sounds odd but it'll become clear when it happens) Don't leave so that it burns but it'll look almost water-less.
    Stick on lid and leave for a couple of seconds, then turn off head but don't touch the lid : need a well fitting lid because the steam will do a little more cooking.
    Leave for about 20 mins and it's perfect, did some last night with tesco value basmati and it was yum.
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    I've never had much success with cooking rice but a couple of things that have helped are:

- not stirring the rice during cooking
    - cooking it in the microwave

By far the best tip I can give you is to use boil-in-the-bag long-grain rice and cook it for 15 mins - it's the only way I can be sure to dish up edible rice :rotfl:

Nicola
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When I cook rice, I bring the water to the boil and add salt, then add the (usually tesco's value) rice.

Continue to boil until it's almost ready to serve then pour into a collander/sieve and cool quickly under a cold running tap.

Next put the drained, cooled rice into a (microwavable) serving dish.

About five minutes before you are ready to serve the meal, pop the rice into the microwave and cook on high until piping hot

This method has never failed for me and makes lovely light, fluffy rice.

Pink
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Measure out your rice, I use 3/4 of a cup for two of us, rinse it under the cold tap then put into a saucepan with twice as much water as rice, i.e. 1 1/2 cups of water to 3/4 of a cup of rice, bring to the boil, stir once and then turn off the heat and leave for approx 15 minutes....... fill the pan with cold water and pour the rice through a sieve, rinse again with cold water and allow to drain, put in a covered dish and microwave for 3 - 4 minutes on high before serving...........works for me everytime.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills