Samsung galaxy mini

Options
HI, I just bought an 'unlocked' samsung galaxy mini off ebay. It arrived yesterday and I put my virgin sim in. This is working fine except cant yet access email but managed to load facebook. I want to eventually replace my main phone which is 02 so this morning swapped sim cards around. Now its not doing much at all. It is supposed to be unlocked. When you turn it on the screen says ORANGE and it has orange apps on it. So it looks as if it isnt really unlocked at all but allows virgin to operate. Whats the best thing to do. Any advice gratefully received

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 August 2019 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Virgin use EE signal, that's why you can use it with locked orange mobile.

Return it and ask the seller to pay postage, as the mobile phone is not as described.

Alternatively, you find out how much it cost to unlock it and ask weller to pay that.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When you turn it on the screen says ORANGE and it has orange apps on it. So it looks as if it isnt really unlocked at all
    It may be not unlocked, but the above means juts that it's Orange-branded. Unlocking is unlikely to change this.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2019 at 9:58PM
    Options
    I don't know how old the phone is but if it is like my wife's Galaxy S4 mini then you could be stuck on Android version 4.4. 4 (Kitkat). Many new apps require a minimum of Android version 5 (Lollipop) for security reasons so I urge you to check the version of the phone operating system (Settings / about device).

You will also find that the phone is loaded up with Orange related apps and other junk that you really don't want but will find difficult to remove unless you know what you are doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure