Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 51Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Like the February Correction ?
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    Like the February Correction ? 11th Oct 18 at 1:17 PM
    Or the start of a big crash ?

What's your opinion ?

Personally I think it's similar to what happened in February and should recover over the coming months.

Just wondered others opinions on this and whether anyone thinks this will be the big crash that some have been predicting........
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Oct 18, 1:23 PM
    • 11,850 Posts
    • 13,818 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:23 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:23 PM
    No idea. And it wouldn't make any difference if I had one.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 11th Oct 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 5,864 Thanks
    badger09
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:33 PM
    Me neither

However, 30k landed this morning in my IWEB ISA from a matured cash ISA.

Can't quite bring myself to press the Buy button.

I know, I know.... Time in the market
    • Prism
    • By Prism 11th Oct 18, 1:34 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Prism
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:34 PM
    I vote correction mainly because I posted after 1:30
    • Bravepants
    • By Bravepants 11th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Bravepants
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    According to the BBC News website (currently having fun there in a HYS about European Market fall!) this fall was due to a single comment from the IMF regarding over valued equities!
    • keyboardworrier
    • By keyboardworrier 11th Oct 18, 1:51 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    keyboardworrier
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:51 PM
    My gut feeling is that this could be the start of a bigger drop, but who knows. I am staying invested anyway. I saw this story about the Worlds worst market timer which gives me some comfort! https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    I have a long term outlook so am not particularly worried and using the opportunity to invest some cash.
    • elenax
    • By elenax 11th Oct 18, 2:03 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    elenax
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:03 PM
    To me staying with the investment is the option right now, as the vibes and volatility of the market feels more correctional
    • Bravepants
    • By Bravepants 11th Oct 18, 2:14 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Bravepants
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:14 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:14 PM
    I'm not selling anything, my spreadsheet holding my retirement plan shows that I can survive a 50% crash and that's with a 70%/30% equity/bond portfolio in my ISA. Long term all the way thank you very much!
    • seacaitch
    • By seacaitch 11th Oct 18, 2:18 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    seacaitch
    Me neither

However, 30k landed this morning in my IWEB ISA from a matured cash ISA.

Can't quite bring myself to press the Buy button.

I know, I know.... Time in the market
    Originally posted by badger09

If wary of deploying it in one go, then a regret minimisation approach might suggest splitting it into, say, 3 or 4 chunks, to be invested over the following 3 or 4 months.

Invest the 1st chunk today, and the last chunk in 3 or 4 months time.

Invest the remaining chunk(s) either monthly in between today and the last date, or attempt to finesse things by investing them on days you feel the market has significantly pulled-back/tanked and investors appear scared. Days where you yourself feel rather too scared to buy very often turn out to be good days to have bought on, so listening to your own feelings (and then overriding them) is often instructive.
    • Kendall80
    • By Kendall80 11th Oct 18, 2:36 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Kendall80
    While I regret not following my instincts and top slicing my equities a few weeks back i'm in for the long haul. So i'm buying
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 11th Oct 18, 2:42 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    Stuffed a few K into some UK/Global trackers this morning. Will watch how it goes. If it carries on next week will put some more in. Same the following. Currently overweight in cash so see it as an opportunity.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - 4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:
    Year 1 = 4152kWh; Year 2 =4169; Year 3 = 4389
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Oct 18, 2:49 PM
    • 61,328 Posts
    • 54,566 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Originally posted by bcfclee27
    Why is volatility a "crash"?

Now that the the safe harbour of QE is being removed. Markets will react to current events as you'd expect them to. Up and down. Be a new experience for a generation of investors. Used to investments acting like a bank deposit account.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 11th Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,953 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Made 3 investments this AM, one is up 5% (atm I hasten to add).

From chaos springs opportunity.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 11th Oct 18, 3:23 PM
    • 12,597 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    Voyager2002

What's your opinion ?

Personally I think it's similar to what happened in February and should recover over the coming months.

Just wondered others opinions on this and whether anyone thinks this will be the big crash that some have been predicting........
    Originally posted by bcfclee27

My opinion is that different markets will act differently...

Latest indications are that US interest rates are unlikely to rise by as much as had been expected, so that should bring some relief to parts of Wall Street and to countries like India.

However there is no hint of a solution to the problem with Italy, and so I see no reason to be optimistic about Euro-land stocks.

Tech stocks are of course absurdly over-priced in relation to their current earnings: however they may prove to be incredibly valuable in the future. In other words, their prices today will be a matter of market sentiment, and could easily be shifted by a few well-chosen (or badly-chosen) words from a president or leading figure.
    • Drp8713
    • By Drp8713 11th Oct 18, 3:32 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Drp8713
    Growth periods are nice, but a big crash right now would be much better for me long term as I currently invest much more than I used to, a crash now for a year would mean a third of my portfolio would have been bought at sale prices.

So as counter intuitive as it is, a crash now is good for me.
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 11th Oct 18, 3:44 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    Just reinvested some dividend cash today, stick to the long term strategy is best and catch some lower prices.

It's part and parcel of investing.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 11th Oct 18, 3:44 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 5,864 Thanks
    badger09
    Just to be clear, I'm not nervous about the drop and will remain fully invested.

My dilemma was whether there might be a better buying opportunity on the near horizon. Anyway, its academic as I've just invested the lot
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Oct 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    Alexland
    My dilemma was whether there might be a better buying opportunity on the near horizon. Anyway, its academic as I've just invested the lot
    Originally posted by badger09
    My view is if you are happy with the value you currently see then get on with investing some of it. You will never be able to time the bottom of the market with perfection. If it makes you feel better hold some of your cash back incase it gets worse but accepting that it might get better.

If it gets worse after you have run out of cash there's always the ability to move bonds into equities.

Alex
    • coastline
    • By coastline 11th Oct 18, 4:18 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    coastline
    In the short term the February correction was long overdue as the Dow had moved around 15% above its 200 day moving average.Its not that often is becomes so extended.
    Looking at the chart below the worlds main market is just about there now around 25150. Who knows what happens next as it seems to be spooked by the rising 10 year bonds.

http://currentcharts.com/charts/$djia-sma-ca6542564w22405h1k1

See overnight the Dow was a low as 25200 and after a brief rally it appears to be heading in that direction.The FTSE will probably finish below 7000 tonight.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/stock-market
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,037Posts Today

7,400Users online

Martin's Twitter