Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BoiledBreadTomatoSauce
    • By BoiledBreadTomatoSauce 9th Oct 18, 11:51 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BoiledBreadTomatoSauce
    HSBC Advance minimum criteria
    • 9th Oct 18, 11:51 AM
    HSBC Advance minimum criteria 9th Oct 18 at 11:51 AM
    Hi all

I'd like to switch to an HSBC Advance account as there's a £200 bonus for doing so, however I noted that they want to see £1750 a month going into the account. I am currently paid 4 weekly, not monthly, with a net income of £1735. However, I am paid 13 times a year and over the course of 12 months that averages out at £1879 per month.

Any ideas if this is worth applying or a waste of time? If ti involves a lot of hassle I'll just wait until April when my 4 weekly salary should go up over the £1750.
Page 1
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 9th Oct 18, 1:02 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 9th Oct 18, 1:02 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 1:02 PM
    You can pay in either £1750/month or £10500 over a 6 month period, so your weekly income shouldn't be an issue. The monthly pay in doesn't actually have to be from your income - it could be your own savings just being passed back and forth between HSBC and an external account by standing order. HSBC are known to be a bit picky with who they offer an account to and usually reject people whose income isn't enough to cover the monthly pay in, but you won't know unless you try. From experience the process is slow, but it's worth it for the switching bonus and the 5% regular saver
    • BoiledBreadTomatoSauce
    • By BoiledBreadTomatoSauce 9th Oct 18, 4:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BoiledBreadTomatoSauce
    • 9th Oct 18, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 4:44 PM
    Thanks for the response - its' annoying because if I was paid monthly it wouldn't be a problem at all, but it only averages out over the threshold over 12 months, not 6!
    • etienneg
    • By etienneg 9th Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    etienneg
    • 9th Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    There are two distinct issues here.

Firstly, will HSBC accept your application? When you apply, you will just give your salary as £22,555 pa, which (as you say) exceeds their threshold. So there's no reason for automatic refusal. Of course, this doesn't mean you will be accepted, but you will only find out by trying.

Secondly, how do you arrange to fulfill the monthly pay-in requirement? For 11 out of 12 months your salary alone is not quite sufficient. That's why it was suggested that you have an account at another bank and transfer in/out by standing order. If you carry a sufficient balance in this (hopefully interest-paying) account, you can arrange the SOs on the same day (as it doesn't matter which is paid first) and thus not lose any interest. You need these to be for at least £15 (£1,735 + £15 = £1,750). Otherwise, pay at least £15 out of HSBC after your salary is credited (so doing it four weekly is probably best), and pay this back in several days later.

You could, of course, pay more than £15 out of HSBC and just £15 back in, thus building up your savings - killing two birds with one pair of SOs.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 11th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    diamond dave
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    Just opened this account- can anyone tell me if there is a minimum amount i need to keep in this? looked everywhere and couldnt find an answer.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    No just the minimum monthly payments coming in
    • KTF
    • By KTF 11th Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    KTF
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    Assuming you get accepted, you can transfer in/out £500x3 and £250x1 (or whatever) each month as you will have still paid in £1750 a month just in chunks.

It doesnt have to be in one lump sum.
    • bluehydrangeas
    • By bluehydrangeas 14th Oct 18, 3:21 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    bluehydrangeas
    • 14th Oct 18, 3:21 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 3:21 PM
    I have applied for a HSBC Advance account on 3 occasions since last year. Each application was made when the switching offer was active. I've been declined each time. Only reason I can think of is that I don't meet the monthly income requirement. I have enough money in various accounts to easily satisfy the £1750 a month pay-in requirement, but this isn't enough to appease HSBC. It seems they only care about your monthly salary when considering applications.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    • 61,352 Posts
    • 54,593 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 14th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    It seems they only care about your monthly salary when considering applications.
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas
    Without sufficient income then the likelihood is that you are only going to hit the threshold by recirculating money.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • datz
    • By datz 14th Oct 18, 7:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    datz
    It seems they only care about your monthly salary when considering applications.
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas
    HSBC (and their brands) are a funny lot. Over this last year, I have been accepted for First Direct, but rejected for both HSBC Advance and M&S. And I'm not sure how much of it was to do with salary, because my income is far in excess of the HSBC Advance criteria. Perhaps they are just approving applications with a magic 8-ball.
    Last edited by datz; 14-10-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 15th Oct 18, 12:42 PM
    • 6,630 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    HSBC (and their brands) are a funny lot. Over this last year, I have been accepted for First Direct, but rejected for both HSBC Advance and M&S. And I'm not sure how much of it was to do with salary, because my income is far in excess of the HSBC Advance criteria. Perhaps they are just approving applications with a magic 8-ball.
    Originally posted by datz
    I think it is very safe to assume that HSBC want to know that your monthly funding of the account is going to be from income derived from either salary and/or pension.

If the application looks like the £1750 monthly deposit can't be satisfied by one or a combination of these two streams, then I reckon rejection is likely.

They are definitely, in my experience, seeking to avoid funding from other bank/deposit accounts.
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 21st Oct 18, 12:43 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    energy1x
    How long does it take till they cough up the £150 switch money?

Opened a few weeks ago, switch with 2 direct debits has completed last week, £1750 paid in.

How long till the money? I don't intend to stay!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Oct 18, 1:06 PM
    • 8,771 Posts
    • 10,042 Thanks
    eskbanker
    How long does it take till they cough up the £150 switch money?

Opened a few weeks ago, switch with 2 direct debits has completed last week, £1750 paid in.

How long till the money? I don't intend to stay!
    Originally posted by energy1x
    You don't even need to go as far as the Ts & Cs for the answer to that, the info is shown on the front page of the account at https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/products/advance/:
    If your application is successful, you’ll receive the £150 within 30 days of the switch completion date
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

786Posts Today

5,947Users online

Martin's Twitter