Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What? Care to explain?

I presume you've worked it out from your edited post?
    Wait... so the various MSE News Feeds quotes "11mb" for "Standard" I thought woo-hoo, thats much faster than I get presently I'm signing up! Then I put the brakes on and thought, wait, what does "11mb" mean anyhow? What does "Standard" mean?

If I understand this right, "standard" mean ADSL and the maximum speed of ADSL2 is 24Mbps and my current line with Sky is capable of 20Mbps which equals "2.0mb" according to Steam at anyrate, so "11mb" is actually 11Mbps or 1.1mb i.e. about half my current speed?

This is seriously confusing as well as misleading you need to clarify your news feed.

[STRIKE]edit: just checked with this site as I'm not sure of the specifics: 1 Megabit/s = 0.125 Megabytes/sec my line at 20mbps equals 2.5mb according to the calculator and the maximum capable for any ADSL line would be 24mbps = 3mb!

So yes, seriously misleading the news feed should state 11 Mbps equivalent to 1.375 MB! Thats a far cry from the "11Mb Standard" claimed! It should be "1.3Mb Standard!"

1.3Mb <> 11Mb! [/STRIKE]

edit2: scrub that I figured it out Mb = Mbps|Mbits/s and not MB/s|Megabytes/s. Talk about confusing.

The case of the 'b' is important, 'b' is a bit, 'B' is a byte (8 bits).
  • batemansxxxb
    Options
    I took up the 35mb fiber offer in nov, i didn't have to swap routers,the Vodafone router works well,service is more reliable than it was with Vodafone whic frquently dropped out,Shell(TalkTalk) is very reliable & speeds slightly up,had a slight hitch in that they charged a few quid more for the first month,,got some excuse about extra few days,which wasn't explained in the intro email & wasn't offered a refund either,at first i couldn't find how to contact customer service,so used Resolver & got a fast reply,just waiting now for the promised bill credit which MSE advertised as receive in Dec,but Shell said Jan
  • norricorp
    norricorp Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was very tempted by the Shell offer. Just noticed that Sky have increased my monthly payment by £10 without telling me.
    I currently get 9Mb on ADSL and Shell said between 4 - 7 Mb. Phoned their customer support and after 15 minutes got through to someone who had no idea so transfered me. And another 15 minutes later, was told by a very hesitant person that it was limited to 7 Mb and that was the best I could expect.
    That does seem weird - everything is managed by Openreach whether it is Plusnet, Sky, anybody. Perhaps Shell have their own kit in the exchange?
    Anyway, I think I will leave Shell by the side of the road.
  • MSE_Chris wrote: »
    Hi rpip,

We've asked Shell Energy about this £15 cease charge and it's agreed to waive it for all switches made through MSE that came with this £75 bill credit offer. This means you won't be charged £15 should you wish to switch after the min 12 months has elapsed.

All other earlier termination charges will still stand as per it's T&C's.

I hope this helps reassure you and other users who questioned this charge.

MSE Chris

Interesting thread this. I'm considering signing up but not liking the comments about Shells interpretation of showing VAT or not. Their current T&Cs definetely advise prices shown INCLUDE VAT (https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/info/terms/broadband) but these terms are NOT upto date with their latest offers either?

More worringly Chris's post about the "cease" charge being dropped for all MSE signups has also NOT carried through to their T&C's!!

The latter is NOT pointed out in plain site when signing up!! You really do have to read the contract to find that out... Hmm not a good start. Any updates on these issues would be helpful
    When a jar contains rocks, pebbles and sand is it truly full? What about beer?
  • lizardking
    Options
    Their billing is a pain to actually understand but worse is their support.
    They take forever to actually investigate anything, so a week after reporting my fault my issue has been passed to another team and again they have a 48hr response time and even though it's something that requires openreach that hasn't been booked in yet.

Every ISP in the past that I've had line faults with have booked an engineer on my first or second call but not Shell sadly :(

If you get lucky and have no issues I'm sure they'd be fine but if you actually need support you'll regret the decision like I am now.
  • noted Lizard, think it's wiser to go with Plusnet, been with them before and the broadband was ok but still had issues with misleading bills and not being upfront with certain information.
  • Sillychuckie
    Sillychuckie Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had my bill credit after 3 months. Was expecting £75 (offer on at the time, as well as the value confirmed in their emails). However, the bill shows the following:

31st Dec 2019
    MSE Promotional Credit
    £62.50 credit

Also, I have definitely checked that this was the credit applied, and not the total bill (after +£75, - monthly fee/costs).
    My actual balance, after the £62.50 credit, is £56.02 (in credit).

I have emailed them, but also suggest others check the amounts they are receiving.

SC.
  • Just had my bill credit after 3 months. Was expecting £75 (offer on at the time, as well as the value confirmed in their emails). However, the bill shows the following:

31st Dec 2019
    MSE Promotional Credit
    £62.50 credit

Also, I have definitely checked that this was the credit applied, and not the total bill (after +£75, - monthly fee/costs).
    My actual balance, after the £62.50 credit, is £56.02 (in credit).

I have emailed them, but also suggest others check the amounts they are receiving.

SC.

check the thread about that, think you will find £62.50 will be 75 less VAT. It depends on where it appears on your statement. Very silly really to confuse customers like that
  • sazzle2
    Options
    yes we got that amount too, signed me and my mum up for this
    £16.99 a month less £75 bill credit.

rang them today asking why vat has been shown in the bill, he looked into it then replied yes vat is to be shown on the bill, even the credit. i said this isnt in the T&C he hung up.
    my bill shows:-
    Your bill dated 10/01/20

Previous balance£26.58

Payments received£26.58

New charges in advance

09/01/2020 - 08/02/2020 £0.00
    Fast Broadband (in advance)
    09/01/2020-08/02/2020 £18.32
    Line rental (in advance)

09/01/2020 - 08/02/2020 £0.00

Promotional Discount3 09/01/2020 - 08/02/2020 £2.50CR
    Total£15.82

Call charges

Local (ppm charge)1£0.39

MSE Promotional Credit 31/12/2019£62.50CR

Total charges £46.29 CR

VAT at 20%£9.26 CR

Total charges this period£55.55CR
    BALANCE NOW DUE£55.55 CR
    so what theyve done is
    18.32-2.50discount=£15.82+39pcall=£16.21+20%vat=£19.45-£75credit = £55.55CR
    the 75 credit is there be it £62.50+vat, but what they have done is charged vat on top of the broadband charge - which they shouldnt have according to my email from them as below

so my total bill should have been £57.17 CR - so im down £1.62 which is the vat if you x it twice
    This will be the same on my mums bill too. not happy and what about future bills that have vat on top of the monthly broadband charge? over 12 months thats extra £38.88 which i cant claim back as im not a vat registered person grrrr

Total monthly charges £16.99 (excludes call costs)
    hope someone gets some joy! x
    (this includes VAT)

• Rob_Wills
    Options
    The latest Shell Energy offer is here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband/#standard - they have increased the cost by £1 a month when compared to the original offer... £140.88 from £128.88.

The details on the offer are the same as the original and clearly explain the TOTAL cost; if Shell have overcharged at the end of the 12 month term then that is fraud and I would expect action from :money:
    Rob
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure