We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Happens to me at the tip.... we all have a station in life to fill!

Actually, I don't mind; it often gives me first dibs on what's being thrown out!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Happens to me at the tip.... we all have a station in life to fill!

Actually, I don't mind; it often gives me first dibs on what's being thrown out!

my "trick" at the local tip is to take bimble my dog ! chap who runs it loves him ... he once kept saying to him "what have you got" while he was racing round the car...so much so that bimble "gave " him a box of fresh eggs :eek: that was the end of my eggs !
    BUT I tend to get a good price on items ive found while chap is amused...

been a cool but dry day today
    ponies are looking at me with daggers as I moved them into a lush field 24hrs before the rain came ! they stand under the tree line like waifs :o as no shelter in that field !

had someone visit with their dog yesterday [lab x ] and bimble got "attacked" by it then dusty ! I think it was trying to play with them but they thought they were under attack so snarled back :( dusty got a nick on his neck and a nick by his eye, bimble just had hurt pride.... so embarrassing !!
    didn't help that friend had asked if I could look after the dog odd days ... :eek: have to work out a polite way of refusing :o

my lawn is now looking slightly green !
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 August 2018 at 8:35PM
    gutted that ive just found a similar lump on dolly in the same place as what instigated her operation !!!
    so its either scar tissue where they had to dig around or IT has come back at an alarming rate ...
    got an appointment Thursday to see the surgeon.
    so fingers crossed peeps. x
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Oh alfie, I'm so sorry to read that, though it might not be what you fear. Here's hoping it's not.

We'll all be thinking of Dolly and rooting for her.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,719 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Everything crossed here as well, Alfie

Izzy has finally come into season and I've found a suitable boy. Just got to arrange to do the deed

Isla has decided to go on a hunger strike. She's not really eaten properly since Saturday and she luuuurrrrvvves her food. She was a little bit sick on Sunday but otherwise seems like her normal nutty self.

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Davesnave
    We are down to one hen! :( Vera the Vorwerk was always the toughest and bossiest of her breed, so it's no big surprise it's just her left.

We'll have to get her a pullet-type friend to boss around, so when the inevitable happens, there will be a productive hen to re-home, not a pensioner like Vera. ;)

We'll re-purpose the hen orchard eventually. The original 6' fencing is all but knackered, but the sheep fence is fine. It'll be much cheaper to bang in new normal sized posts and attach the existing sheep fence. Corner posts etc are good. If we do hens again, it'll only be half a dozen and they can go into an area closer to the house, which won't need Fort Knox protection.....hopefully!

We have other plans for the orchard...
  • Sorry to hear about the animals.

Other plans? Not pigs?

Two days until we're down again. With replacing things Himself has lost or broken (or replaced with entirely useless pieces of crud - like the tent :mad:), it's already more expensive than planned.

No new boots for me this year...

To be entirely fair to him, he has upgraded the rail tickets (an extra fiver) so that we come down in First Class, though. Which was a very good idea.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    edited 15 August 2018 at 7:44AM

Other plans? Not pigs?.

Nah, our aim is to reduce our commitment to animals, not swap them! DW's enjoyed her hens, but we're looking to the future when we'll need this place to be as easily-run as possible.;)

Besides, we 've had such pleasure from the mini-woodland we made 4.5 years ago, we want to make something similar nearer the house and garden. There's no doubt in our minds that the copse we made has attracted more wildlife; 20 species of butterflies so far this year and still the possibility of more. :j

It's not just the hens that have had their time either. On their enclosure, many of the fruit trees have seen better days, like the plums which don't produce well, or at all. Those need to come out and be replaced with more suitable varieties for our climate here...and we only need a few. We will hang on to the weird/rare/cider apples that lie beyond, though.

Weather for Thursday looks a little mixed, but after that there's nothing terrible predicted. Mizzle just now. I've had conjuntivitis in my good eye for a couple of days, so I'm seeing everything 'through a glass, darkly' anyway!
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about the lump Alfie - so hope it's benign.

Dave sorry about the hen - I know what you mean about not wanting to tie yourself into anymore responsibilities re animals. We are down to 4 hens and the cockerel after all the losses and one dying the other week, but I doubt I'll replace them as I feel that they are quite tying even though I do love them and having them about.

Neighbour is getting more demanding & it's getting quite wearing.
    OH goes into hospital tomorrow for his op so been trying to get stuff organised for him being out of action for a while.

It's dull & looks very stormy but quite muggy too - hardly been out the door so off up to neighbours & then long dog walk will be in order.
  • Davesnave
    We shall miss having a proper flock of hens, but DW's poor health a while back impressed on us the need to keep things manageable. As we increase the garden areas to maintain and sell more at the gate, something has to give or we will just end up chasing our tails.....Hmmm probably do that anyway! :o

For a few short weeks now we have produce to add to the plant sales, with toms, courgettes, squash and blackberries all selling well. Someone will stop for a couple of 20p courgettes and often end up buying a £3.50 plant. ;)
    Your neighbour sounds just like what DW had with Horse Woman. She and the other neighbour became too 'handy' so they had to withdraw a little or no other carers would have been employed. But it's so hard to do that! :(

Anyway you have your OH to look after too now; an ideal way to stand back a bit. Hope the Op goes well. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback