Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.

Comments

• Evening Diary,

Decided to go for lunch today it was my last day alone with DP & DS before I return to work from my 8 weeks off :mad: so I treated us all to Pizza Hut buffet. Also spent £3 on a little gift for my friends son who we are visiting tomorrow she's had a new baby and I didn't want him to think it was just the baby getting presents. Not to expensive as we ate to much pizza and couldn't face pudding. We have the mother in law up tomorrow to stay over we don't see her often and it's never an enjoyable experience but we try for DS's sake.

So £14 left of this weeks pocket money. The only other plans I have are a hospital appointment Friday which I may pay for parking at and seeing my sister sat. I may suggest I go to her house so it's a cheap day.

DP received a £200 service award from work we cashed it on for amazon vouchers and brought the two car seats one for us and one for my sister.

DP gets a good very pay day tomorrow as it's his yearly anniversary and he doesn't take many holidays so always get some cash from his holiday fund. We are about £300 behind on our electric bill due to not switching over properly when we moved in we are going to clear this to drop the big monthly payments down. Then he's going to keep the rest to clear his over draft. He's £1200 in this is his only debt though. Lucky Man!

I've forgotten the pin and both my cards now and they are both locked!!! Must sort this out! Silly baby brain! At the moment I'm spending on the joint card and transferring as I go but it's a pain.

Need to pay for 6 months car insurance by 31st just need to log on and do this. The car fund will be down to £0 then boo!!

Noodle report refreshed today. Up 10 points but all is up to date as far as I can tell. I think cancelling all my unused credit cards has gone against me as I'm not nearly at capacity with my cc's. I don't think they like you to be near the limits but I clearly can't be trusted with excess hanging around so I'll take the hit. It'll keep coming down hopefully the more I clear.

Think that's all I need to report going to log onto internet banking and see if I can clear my locked card here and transfer over what's needed from today's spends. May as well do the car tax while I'm there too.

X
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • Quick check in.

Two NSD for me bar hospital parking but there was change in the car for his already.

We went out for curry last night and lunch today as mil was staying over. DP got a big pay day though so don't feel to bad spending a little. He's paid £300 to clear our Ovo back log so payments will come down from £197 per month to £97 now.

Seeing my sister tomorrow but going to suggest we just go to here's as were both too big and tired to be running around after the kids out and about anywhere.

Bednest ordered and car seat arrived today.
    X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Hi Hannah. Hope its going ok with mil. Im single now but have lived through this struggle previously. I know its different for everyone but hope its going ok for you. I feel like people who say that that relationship is ok are either vey lucky or not telling the truth! I always take present for the sibling of the baby as well. My mum told me to do this and she wouldn't even consider leaving them out. It's always welcome and works well. One of my friends had an 8 year gap between children (it was amazing when she found out about second pregnancy, she had tried for so long).
    You and your partner sound like real team, I would like someone who would come to pizza hut buffet with me. I got hungry reading your post! Hope you enjoy your saturday. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Hey diary,

PSL sorry for making you hungry!! My scales are regretting all the food I'm putting on 1-2 pounds a weeks and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it! I can't wait to get out running again! MIL has gone thankfully. We can't stand her to be honest DP fell out with her and I kind of forced a relationship when DS came along. Regretting it now she has no social skills. She owned her own home and works full time yet didn't offer to pay for food once while she stayed over....let alone say thank you when we picked up all the bills! :mad: Oh well she only visits once it twice a year and I'd hate for DS to think she didn't want to be in his life.

DP is great and has really got on board with helping sort money out as I had plans today he went to work 9 hours early! He's a grafter.

Just back from my sisters house. Spent £5 on some scones, cream and jam but that's it today. It's my last day off tomorrow from my 8 week sabbatical :mad: I'm going to spend the day in
    PJ's and nap so this should be a NSD! I really need to behave when back at work. With working in the town centre the temptation to pay for parking and buy snacks will be my new daily battle!

X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • danidav88
    danidav88 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Hi Hannah,

Lovely to read your diary and can totally understand the balancing act of money!!

It might be worth checking out clear score as this is a free credit score and record like noddle, i just think it is a bit more user friendly.

Also we do MySurvey and get amazon vouchers all the time. I bought two books, hair dryer, zumba dvd, tangle teezer, back seat car cover for the dogs and george forman sponges for £7 the other day as myself and hubby do surveys and save up our vouchers. Absolute bargain :j Definitely worth spending the time to complete them.

I've subscribed to keep up on your journey. We are trying for a baby at the moment and can't imagine what it will be like on one wage _pale_ but you sound like you have it sussed.

Hope you are well
    Dani :)
  • Morning,

Danidav thanks for reading and commenting. Do you have a diary? Thanks for the clear score heads up I'll check it out later. I'll have a look at my survey too I've been slacking on the surveys recently. I think I'll get back on it once I've got the next 7 weeks of work out the way. Sounds like you've been earning a good amount.

Good Luck on your TTC journey it is defiantly one filled with ups and downs. It can drive you crazy every month!!! Fingers crossed it won't take too long for you. Having a baby defiantly makes you rethink money and your future. I'm determined to get this shifted before DS gets too old to realise we're scrimping in areas. Also I will teach him how to manage money and were also hoping to have a good chunk saves up for him for when he a ready to buy his first house. He already has £1450 in savings!! Madness I've never had that much and he's only 2!!! He was gifted a big chunk when he was born and then we put £10 a month in to his ISA hoping to up this once were sorted. We've also said when he's old enough and has a job we'll start charging him rent and put this in to his ISA too. I don't think we'll tell him about the money so he still saves and is sensible.

Just on the sofa having snuggles and watching toy story enjoying my last day off sabbatical with DS. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • danidav88
    danidav88 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Hi Hannah,

Don't have a diary but probably should. We have been tackling our debts since 2013 after realising we can't survive like this for much longer. We owed just over 60,000 :embarasse now 17000 so not doing to bad. DMP was the best things we did. L Just wish I could be a bit more regimented with money, too lead by my emotions. Something good lets celebrate, something bad lets splurge lol

Only just started with the TTC journey but hopefully these debts will b paid off and we can have a fresh start 😀

Dani xx
  • Oh wow Danidav you've come so far it must be the final push for you now. :j You must have learnt a lot about money along the way. Well Done! TTC is so exciting try and enjoy it. Xx
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Just checked clear score I'm at 460 average in my area is 380 and UK 438. This makes me more hopeful on being able to get a mortgage one day. The plan is to clear our overdrafts. This should be done before my pay drops hopefully. Then chip away at the debt and add to the savings I'm sure you can still get a mortgage with a small amount of debt if it's managed correctly. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Hi Hannah, I think I had about £5000 credit card debt when I got my mortgage and some on my overdraft, cant remember exact figures. My good friend put £2,500 in my bank account temporarily for the application process and I think this helped. Not sure if that is an option. You can have a bit of debt and mortgage. I wrote a letter supporting my application setting out how I manage my money and a bit about my work and I think this helped. I think you need to make your application to a bank that uses humans and not machines to assess you. I would love to only have £5000 debt now. Good luck for the house plans and baby plans. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills