Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• Baskcm
    Baskcm Posts: 45 Forumite
    phatbear wrote: »
    Katz is so so, but its an iconic place, been there once and wouldnt bother again

ohhhhhh right lol
  • Baskcm wrote: »
    well we till have a wait was going to look into getting a guide book

and thanks for the broadway site ill have a looksie at it

being out first holiday where quite excited and all

just a tip for getting a guide book, check out your local library - i checked out loads from mine and they even had the most recent edition of time out guide book when i went :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Baskcm wrote: »
    any suggestions about what to take to keep me and the gf occupied on the plane
    Will there not be films on the plane? Also depending on flight times, we slept on the way back ...

If you haven't flown before, my 'flight kit' includes headphones (or you end up buying on the plane, but some planes have a fatter jack than normal), ear plugs (for landing and take off), boiled sweets (ditto), something to read (in case the film is dire), my reading glasses, water (bought after security), a large silk scarf (in case I'm cold), an inflatable travel pillow, eye mask (in case I want to sleep).

DH uses his netbook to catch up on his blog (can't update, obviously, but can type the basic entry), I see others using i-pads / i-pods etc or playing hand-held games etc.

Or - and this IS a radical thought - you could even talk to each other ... :rotfl:
    phatbear wrote: »
    Personally id buy a reasonable guide book and have a read up about what you think you'd like to see then pop on here and ask questions.
    When we went with the boys, I tried to get them to look at the guide books on the plane, but they weren't having it, even then! However, you could use the time to check what you wanted to do, and what to start with.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1. Best/cheapest car service from Newark airport?
    2. Best/cheapest place to get Empire State Bldg tickets? Is it worth buying the express tickets (we're going in feb)? 86th floor/102nd floor? What about the ride - I've heard this is rubbish?
    3. 9/11 memorial. Any good? Worth visiting?
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • Baskcm
    Baskcm Posts: 45 Forumite
    thnaks to the previous two posters i have flown before only short haul i might have a look in my local libary for a guide books thanks
  • cooking-mama
    cooking-mama Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    gregg1 wrote: »
    Daughter stayed at the Salisbury last year and was very pleased with the room and it was in an excellent location for her. Staff were very good. There is a diner next door to hotel which was good for breakfasts and a Starbucks opposite. Ten minutes walk from Times Square and Central Park. She has been a couple of times before and reckoned this was the best location she had stayed in. Wants to stay there again next time she goes. Hope you enjoy it. (I would add daughter is fairly hard to please so it must have been OK).

Brilliant thanks gregg1,that is reassuring,must admit The New Yorker is a lovely hotel and its also in a great location,but booking the Salisbury is saving us over £100 a head..We hardly spent any time in our hotel last holiday anyway,Overall as long as its clean and safe il be happy..;)
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • hi all wanting to see wicked in ny when visiting in feb prob is the ticket options are for delivery to uk and im panicking they may not arrive in time, would it be ok to list my address as the hotel im staying at for delivery of the tickets or ls there another option, as i cant see any collection options on any ticket websites thanks
  • boblibarn wrote: »
    hi all wanting to see wicked in ny when visiting in feb prob is the ticket options are for delivery to uk and im panicking they may not arrive in time, would it be ok to list my address as the hotel im staying at for delivery of the tickets or ls there another option, as i cant see any collection options on any ticket websites thanks
    Which website are you booking through? I booked Wicked through ticket master couple of years ago and hairspray the year before that and with both they had an option on website to pick up tickets at the venue which is what I did. Very simple just take the card you booked with and ID.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    sept/oct 2013 is a long way away. & dont really know london but seems like you want local life around the outer boroughs of Manhattan (within 45mins travel) So much choice no budget no length of time & for how many and where from.?? too many answers . Seacaucus or Brooklyn maybe
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • guineapig
    guineapig Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    N20Y1D wrote: »
    I'm looking at going to NY next year and am starting to look for somewhere to stay, i dont really want anything to touristy, for those familiar with london i'd rather stay somewhere like the equivalent of islington/shoreditch rather than piccadily circus/covent garden. Would appreciate recommendations and a guide on price - i'm guessing it would be late september/early october .

We stayed at The Marmara on Upper East side (94th & 2nd I think) it's in a very residential area, supermarkets close by, and it is actually an apartment hotel ( one,two or three beds) very friendly and helpful staff. The subway is just 2 blocks away and the bus is just over the road.

We felt like "native New Yorkers" whilst we were there! They are building the second avenue subway outside but the noisy part is all done, now so it's just a matter of the outside road works.

We didn't find we were disturbed by noise. We got quite attached to our "New York Apartment"! Would go back there in a heartbeat as it was nice to be away from the touristy areas.
    Yes, you do have to travel to the "sites" but to be honest we got so much out of being "local" when we went out and about near the hotel that it was worth it.

Having done most of the sites and "must do's" now, we would want to go back to the Marmara just to enjoy the experience of everyday life in New York.

Previously we stayed in The Beacon Hotel on the Upper West Side and had a problem with noisy plumbing, noisy theatre underneath and the staff were mardy and po faced! The location was great though, everything to hand and just a minute or two from 72nd Subway.

On balance though, I would go back to the Marmara as that was the more authentic location to live like a local for a week:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure