Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,288
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh I have one of those too, they're fatal

I owe Next £198 at the moment, hoping to clear it by the end of the year
  • Cut it up. Next is far to pretty to go in and leave with nothing if you have a card that gives you clothes for "free" ha ha!

Just bite the bullet and ordered a breast pump. The one I used last time was my sisters I got on with it so looked on eBay and found one that had only been used twice. £30 instead of £90 new. That's the last baby item we needed. X
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • cms-help
    cms-help Posts: 187
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Children's centre was good but I'm in agony now it was a lot of sitting on the floor and running round after DS as he has a little cold he was a bit snappy today so had to slltay close by him. Thinking more and more that pre school may need to be an option for him. I will pop in next time I'm by the one I want him to go to and price it up. I just don't want to add another monthly out going of over £100 to the bills when we are saving for a mortgage but I just feel he needs some more time around other children.

Spent £9 in coop and got everything I needed. Pay day for DP tomorrow hoping he gets paid enough to cover all bills and a small food budget until I get paid on the 15th but we shall see tomorrow. Hoping that things won't get out of hand once baby arrives either. I have car park money saved up and a house full of food for my mum when she comes to stay. If everything goes smoothly with no long hospital stays etc I should be able to stay in control but we shall see the savings are there if we need anything.

10 days till due date eeeek! X

Don't forget that from the term after his 3rd birthday he will be entitled to 15 hours of pre-school a week during term times (either at a nursery type setting or within a school, depends what you have near you as not all schools offer it). Could you keep going to groups and hang on until then?
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi all! I thought I'd show my face in this thread as I'm currently just over 33 weeks pregnant and start my maternity leave next Friday! For the past 6 months or so I've been squirreling away money into my savings ISA for when I'm only getting statutory maternity pay! This is whilst buying things for baby aswell, this is our first so we had nothing! we've got a lot second hand off my sister in law but theres always a few little bits it's nice to buy yourself new :)
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • Thanks CMS he's doesn't turn three until June so will be eligible for free hours next September I think. I will try to avoid it but wouldn't want him to get behind if I struggle getting out and about with him. All depends what type of baby I get. I did put on the order form good sleeper and calm but sometimes they get the orders wrong!!

Hey, Katy Ann thanks for posting. Congratulations on being debt free I bet that feels amazing!!! You see to have learn from it too with squirrelling that money away.

DP's pay day today. We will have to move £100 over from savings to cover bills. Annoyed about this but we knew unless he picked up extra hours we'd be in this situation. I've just needed him home after his nirmal shifts and on his day shifts so I can rest. The using the savings to cover the short fall will only be for a while until his new job starts paying. So glad he's got the job or it would be the same story every month. I guess I should have left more out of the savings from my pay but if it was hanging around I'd probably spend it so now it's been in the savings and is coming back out it'll keep me in check. DP will also need to spend a bit of the savings on shirts, trousers and ties for his new job too. So maybe another £100-£150 out of the savings. Hoping that next Friday we can put another £1000 of my pay into the savings again this may have to come back out again depending on Dp's pay and paternity pay. Once he finished work next Friday we can get the car on the market and hopefully shift that for a decent amount to cover the two week pay gap he will have between jobs as he gets paid monthly instead of fourtnightly.

Low key day at home today. A new menu came through the other day for an Indian fusion takeaway that delivers to our house. We have one other takeaway that delivers here a horrible pizza place. DP is going to order one when he finishes work. I'm going for a hot curry to try smoke this baby out! C
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • DP is going to order one when he finishes work. I'm going for a hot curry to try smoke this baby out! C

You'll be on the pineapple, clary sage and raspberry leaf tea next :-) I wont mention what my midwife told me would work suffice to say your hubby would be very happy :-)
    DFD September 2017
  • Hey sugarcube, I've already started I ate a whole pineapple last week and nothing! Feeling dodgy today but DS was up coughing and throwing up last night so it could be that or it could be the curry. Labour can hold off a day or two while DS gets better now I think. My back is achy like pre period aches but so hard to tell if I'm poorly or not at this stage. My sister had her baby yesterday so now it's defiantly my time!

Children's centre plans had to be cancelled this morning due to DS being poorly. Kind of relieved I think I need to keep my days now low key and preserve energy as it could be any day now. I've planned to visit my sister tomorrow it's an hour and a half drive away but mum will take me so shouldn't be to much hard work. Then I don't intend on doing much else poor DS. I'll make DP take him out to the shops and park where possible and when the weathers nice I'll get him out in ththe garden.

Feeling like I want to spend money today but I don't have any so will tackle the ironing pile instead!! X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • When I went into labour I woke up feeling not quite right like I was going to come down with the flu. Fingers crossed the coughing/vomiting doesn't get you.
    DFD September 2017
  • I keep worrying this could be the start but me DS and DP all fell rough so it best not be! Ha ha we're not in the right frame of mind! I'll have a nice bath after bedtime to help ease the aches hopefully! I've not had any contraction type pains today so think its just a bug.

I spent some money ooops! Knew I couldn't help it today. I've been eyeing up a rocket tent for DS on amazon and he's been so good while poorly I ordered it for him. It was £18 with postage. I'll set it up in the corner of his room when it gets here in a bid that he will play in there alone sometimes but we shall see. Also gave him one of his Christmas presents just a little drum. This is the problem with having a wardrobe full when ever he's really good I treat him. Xx
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Not long to go for you at all now! So exciting! I didn't feel right a day or 2 before labour started with ds so it could be your body getting ready!! :j
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts