Cashback-paying Santander 123 credit card closed to new customers

Card paying 1-3% on spending axed and replaced with one paying just 0.5%...
Read the full story:
'Cashback-paying Santander 123 credit card closed to new customers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Does MSE ever fact check their articles?

From 16 Sept 2015
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2015/09/santander-to-shake-up-123-current-account-and-credit-card-fees-whats-happening

For those who get the 123 credit card from 16 September onwards, cashback will also be capped at £3/month on each of the card's three spending categories; supermarkets, department stores and transport.

Existing customers will continue to earn 1% unlimited cashback at supermarkets, 2% unlimited cashback at department stores, and 3% cashback up to a maximum of £9/month on petrol, national rail and Transport for London.

And in this new article dated today:
    3% on petrol, diesel and train tickets (capped at £9/month)

I wonder how long it will be before they reduce or remove entirely the unlimited cashback for supermarkets and dept. stores/£9 max cashback for transport from card holders pre 15 Sept 2015 changes?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Does MSE ever fact check their articles?

From 16 Sept 2015
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2015/09/santander-to-shake-up-123-current-account-and-credit-card-fees-whats-happening

And in this new article dated today:

I wonder how long it will be before they reduce or remove entirely the unlimited cashback for supermarkets and dept. stores/£9 max cashback for transport from card holders pre 15 Sept 2015 changes?

I'd imagine it's going to be sooner rather than later IMHO.

No wonder they didn't offer me any form of retention deals when I sent them a secure message asking to close my account :rotfl:
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Let's face it, there is no action left in the cashback game.

I have been using the TSB Contactless 5% deal to good effect, so the Santander card has been playing second fiddle. The TSB deal is coming to an end December 2016.

The Amex 2.5% cashback for the anniversary month is still on, one last time, so I will really try to max it, and then cancel it.

It's all just a sweet memory a year from now.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Pincher wrote: »
    Let's face it, there is no action left in the cashback game.

I have been using the TSB Contactless 5% deal to good effect, so the Santander card has been playing second fiddle. The TSB deal is coming to an end December 2016.

The Amex 2.5% cashback for the anniversary month is still on, one last time, so I will really try to max it, and then cancel it.

It's all just a sweet memory a year from now.

Part of me (selfishly) hopes the Interchange Fee cap might be removed as/when we leave the European Union.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    its not looking good to stay with Santander anymore! firstly their 123 current account charges got hiked. then they're cutting rates and now this.

wont be long before they're back at the bottom of customer service polls!
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Am I right in thinking both the All in One and Zero cards offer completely free use abroad ?

So if you put 600 GBP or more on the All In One credit card each month it pays for itself ?

The Zero is now comparable to the Halifax Clarity or not ?
    Thanks
    JG
  • BlondBoy
    BlondBoy Posts: 186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JGUK wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking both the All in One and Zero cards offer completely free use abroad ?

So if you put 600 GBP or more on the All In One credit card each month it pays for itself ?

The Zero is now comparable to the Halifax Clarity or not ?

Zero has a higher APR on cash transactions (29.9%) - higher than the Clarity.

And seems like there's some confusion on the All in One - on the web pages, it says no fees for cash withdrawals, but on the Summary Box for the card it says 3%, minimum of £3.

Certainly close to the Clarity, but not beating it, I don't think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure