Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Really? they've already admitted that compensation is owed by sending a cheque to Botts, is it not just a case of getting the money channeled to me, rather than a solicitor that I didn't give permission to pursue the case?!

Thanks.

What do you mean you "didn't give permission" - Botts are a reputable company who don't pursue people's cases unless they are asked to do so. Please explain what actually happened.
  • Gamegal
    Gamegal Posts: 102
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 September 2016 at 9:36AM
    Vauban wrote: »
    What do you mean you "didn't give permission" - Botts are a reputable company who don't pursue people's cases unless they are asked to do so. Please explain what actually happened.

I agree with you, Vauban, re "Botts are a reputable company who don't pursue people's cases unless they are asked to do so". Donatello said "I originally processed my claim through Botts ...."
  • I provided Botts with the information regarding the claim before I realised how simple it was to do it off my own back, they subsequently went the full distance with the claim (which they probably had the right to do so) and banked the cheque that had been sent before i'd signed the two documents they required me to. This is where I was slightly aggrieved, that they had banked the cheque before I'd signed these documents. I've no qualms against Botts and they were excellent when I asked to retract the claim with them.

My issue isn't with Botts, it's with Easyjet and them not responding to my email informing them that Botts were returning the money and the subsequent chasing emails.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I provided Botts with the information regarding the claim before I realised how simple it was to do it off my own back, they subsequently went the full distance with the claim (which they probably had the right to do so) and banked the cheque that had been sent before i'd signed the two documents they required me to. This is where I was slightly aggrieved, that they had banked the cheque before I'd signed these documents. I've no qualms against Botts and they were excellent when I asked to retract the claim with them.

My issue isn't with Botts, it's with Easyjet and them not responding to my email informing them that Botts were returning the money and the subsequent chasing emails.

It's a bit of a mess, but it looks like Bott's have been very good. So I think all you can do is write to Easyjet and pester them for the money. If they don't respond, you'll need to begin a legal claim in the normal way (I assume Bott's didn't actually start legal action, which would complicate things significantly).
  • Hi,

On 18/9/10 my family any myself (4 adults) were on a flight from Alicante to London Stansted that was delayed by 5 1/2 hours. I have applied for compensation three times since 2010 (more to the point; applied once and appealed to them twice after each major court victory) and Easyjet cited "extraordinary circumstances" as the reason for the delay so no compensation is due (the reason was that the hydraulic fluid in the plane was contaminated, which was beyond their control according to an Easyjet person I spoke to in 2012).

As the 6 year limit for taking Easyjet to court expires in 12 days I have decided to issue a Letter Before Action then issuing legal proceedings (talk about cutting it fine, I know). I have read a few guides to claiming and am using Vauban's template to write my NBA (thanks Vauban, great guide by the way). Question is; Which? and Vauban recommend giving the airline 14 days notice of issuing legal proceedings. As I don't have 14 days left can I issue it with a week's notice or should I give 10 days? I don't intend starting legal proceedings via MCOL as I want to submit one application that covers all four passengers by the way.

Thanks.
  • As the guide says give them 14 days to reply. If you read the guidance about taking court action it actually says, before applying to the court
    "The court will expect you to make your claim in writing, giving the other person a reasonable time to reply – a month is usual. You should also warn them that you will take court action if they fail to reply within the given time.
    I think you will be too late others may differ.
  • Firstly, may I thank Martin and all the team for the very valuable work you all do.
    I registered a claim against EasyJet using Resolver about 2 weeks ago.
    I have a Complaint number but no acknowledgement or response yet from EasyJet.
    Am I being too optimistic and impatient?
    Thanks, Ian
  • Hi all, just had an unhappy call from my mum who flew from Gatwick to Bordeaux this afternoon however they couldn't land at Bordeaux due to the weather (quite the storm apparently) so have landed at Lyon instead. They've been ushered into some sort of waiting area with no refreshments after an hour or two on the plane and are now awaiting buses to be ferried back to Bordeaux which is likely to take most of the night.

Would this come under the more than 3 hours late arrival? I'm shocked they've apparently been put somewhere without even a cafe to get a drink...

Thanks, Sarah
  • Thanks Justice13075... that's what I thought, which is why I decided to double check with you guys whether giving them 10 days notice would be acceptable or just wasting time and money as the case will be thrown out prior to a hearing.

The moral of the story; don't spend a few years taking small steps on something like this just because it seems too scary to go for it!

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Would this come under the more than 3 hours late arrival?

not relevant for compensation as weather is outside the control of the airline so does not qualify for compensation
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback