PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Proof of deposit - Mortgage

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of buying my first house,

I have been told that I will soon have to supply proof of my deposit, I think this is to the solicitors.

I am just wondering, why do they need this proof? Also, will I just need to supply a bank statement showing the money in my account?

Thank you,

Lou

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Who has asked for the proof? The estate agent? Your mortgage provider? Your solicitor?

Whichever, it is not unreasonable for them to want to know
    a) you can genuinly proceed with the purchase and
    b) you are not a drug trafficer laundering your ill-gotton gains

Bank statement will probobly do. may need to show where it came from (2000 deposits of £20 each in cash may raise eyebrows, as would a large deposit from Venezuela)
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yeah that will be fine.
  • jenny_13
    jenny_13 Posts: 159 Forumite
    You normally need to show where the money has been for the last 3 months. If it's coming from different sources you'll need to provide statements for each of them.
  • Most of the money has been borrowed in a loan. My mortgage advisor knows I have the loan and what the monthly payments are, my mortgage has all gone through fine.

Are the solicitors going to have a problem with this?
  • jenny_13
    jenny_13 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Do you mortgage company not have a problem? Normally they won't lend to you if the deposit comes from a loan as you need to pay that back as well as the mortgage.

I don't think the solicitors will have a problem as long as you show the correct documents.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    jenny_13 wrote: »
    Do you mortgage company not have a problem? Normally they won't lend to you if the deposit comes from a loan as you need to pay that back as well as the mortgage.

I don't think the solicitors will have a problem as long as you show the correct documents.

If you have any other debt then whatever deposit you have is no different to a loan. (net position is the same)
  • If you have any other debt then whatever deposit you have is no different to a loan. (net position is the same)

sorry, I'm all new to this, what does this mean?
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The point isn't whether the mortgage adviser knows about the loan. The point is whether the mortgage application included you fully disclosing the loan.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    louiserer wrote: »
    Most of the money has been borrowed in a loan. My mortgage advisor knows I have the loan and what the monthly payments are, my mortgage has all gone through fine.

Are the solicitors going to have a problem with this?

Very few lenders will accept a loaned deposit, are you sure this has been declared to the lender properly?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • A loan should be declared....would show on a credit check anyway...however depends what the loan was for initially for it to raise a mortgage companies eyebrows. A friend of mine borrowed about 20k for a new car.....bought it, but still had his original car which was worth a similar amount which he sold. No fraud there but nearly 20k in the bank for a deposit. Fine if affordable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure