Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Stockleyo wrote: »
    Applied for this card, topped up £15 but did not receive an additional £5. Ordered a physical card as I am heading out to Europe this weekend.

Applied for which card??
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Revolut - This app is incompatible with all of your devices.:(
    Why would I want a card which cannot be managed by quite recent devices?
  • EXSUDBURY
    EXSUDBURY Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I had a bad experience with one of these cards. When travelling in the USA I tried to fill up at a gas station but because my postcode was not recognised when they required a zip code the card was rejected. I tried another gas station and had the same problem. Fortunately my daughter had funds to enable me to fuel the car. However, when checking my balance online later, I found that both gas stations had created a "pending transaction" of $100 each effectively reducing my cash card's value by $200. On contacting the card's customer service I was informed it would take around 10 days before these entries were cleared. That was the remainder of our holiday. Since then I have always used the Halifax credit card. Be warned!
  • bargain_slag
    bargain_slag Posts: 11 Forumite
    Just registered on Revolut via iPad app. They MSE invite code needs to be entered right at the start of the process. I didn't do this thinking it was a code to be entered on payment, so my £10 payment was only worth £10...doh! BUT I messaged them to explain via the support icon and instantly they messaged back and credited the £5 straight away. So good customer service via support app so far. Obviously, not yet used card though. I like the interface and how I can watch live euro rate before choosing to exchange....decided not to exchange yet but monitor rate over next couple of weeks. When i think rate is best for m, i'll load up more sterling and exchange.
  • richarduk
    richarduk Posts: 15 Forumite
    Signed up, £5 bonus was credited immediately. App is impressive, like the fact you can see real time, changing, FX rates.

Will be interested to see how quickly the card turns up and actually using it.
  • philipdobson
    philipdobson Posts: 2 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 8 July 2015 at 12:08PM
    Hi

Just signed up for the Revolut prepaid card after the recommendation from MSE but when I went to change from £ into USD the rate I was offered was 1.537 but Halifax are offering a rate of 1.55, so maybe not the best exchange rates after all.
  • I obtained a UKash Prepaid Euro card and it worked perfectly including Car Hire and petrol stations. Rate was good but there is a problem adding cash to the card. When using a foreign internet connection the UKash site presents the local site (in my case Cyprus, in Greek) and will NOT allow you to visit the UK site. I solved this by using a UK VPN but a tech solution should not be necessary.
  • Sorry was given duff information about the Halifax rate, it was 1.473 so Revolut gave a much better rate
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Sorry was given duff information about the Halifax rate, it was 1.473 so Revolut gave a much better rate

No, your info was not duff. The Clarity Mastercard rate of yesterday was US$1.556999

So US$0.02 to the £ better than Revolut.
  • buddle
    buddle Posts: 1 Newbie
    Since Caxton fx have changed to MasterCard rather than visa the sms balance and load function no longer works "they have not implemented it yet, but hope to have it in place by end of the year". This was one of the cards most useful functions I thought, so am looking for another card
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback