Basic Bank Account Thread

Options

Comments

• sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Melanie,

In relation to an account with a debit card.

Have a look at this two links in my first post on this thread. The second one in particular lists the type of card you receive with each account/bank.

For example Yorkshire Bank offer a Maestro Card which is a debit card.

See if any of the banks on the list or YB fit the bill.

Otherwise if you wanted to apply for a CitiBank Account and I don't see why you can't. At worse they can reject the application and at best you will be accepted.

In relation to spending, its best if you pop over to the DFW board. But what I will say in relation to the CitiBank Account is that they probably won't extend you any credit anyway. So nothing to worry about on that front.
  • biged670
    biged670 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it possible to apply for a Yorkshire ready cash account online?
  • moonlightpjs
    moonlightpjs Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    biged670 wrote:

No, I tried but had to go into branch to make appliction. Sorry.
  • sgx.saint
    Options

As Weller said you have to apply in the branch. If there isn't a Yorkshire Bank near you, Clydesdale Bank is Yorkshire Banks sister bank and they offer the same account.

Otherwise as has been mentioned a lot recently, CitiBank's standard current account seems to be a good option also. A lot of people with poor credit histories have successfully opened this account.

I myself have tried too, will keep you posted!

Oh and its worth £50 through Quidco too :)
  • lisaf
    lisaf Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I've just heard back today from Natwest regarding their step account. Basically, they've turned me down. If it's only a 'no frills' account then what have they got to lose? Anyway, has anyone got any ideas of another account that I would have more chance of getting?
    I just didn't want loads of searches on my already bad record!
    Many thanks in advance
    Lisa
  • sgx.saint
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear that. I am surprised that you got turned down for the Natwest - Step Account.

Did you have a look at the two websites in the OP on this thread?

I can also recommend the Yorkshire Bank - ReadyCash Account.

Also, quite a few people are having success getting a full current account from CitiBank (less any overdraft naturally).

You could apply online to CitiBank, but use Quidco to get your £50 cashback if your accepted.
  • melaniec_2
    Options
    Lloyds bank accepted me when Natwest closed my account last year, but note you can only use your cash card in their machines
  • dexters_mum_2
    Options
    As I posted before, hubby was rejeted by Noriwch & Peterborough & he has also now been rejected by Co-op for their Cashminder account too.
    As he is really unhappy with Natwest but does like the debit card facility they offer, just not sure whether to stay with a bank despite terrible customer service just because of what they offer!!

When hubby spoke to N&P, they said to contact the FSA should he have problems opening a basic account...it seems from this post he is not the only only person.

Personally, I thought getting a basic ank account was supposed to be fairly straightforward, it seems like now it is becoming harder, anyone know why this might be?
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • sgx.saint
    Options
    Personally, I thought getting a basic ank account was supposed to be fairly straightforward, it seems like now it is becoming harder, anyone know why this might be?

Can't shed any light on it really dexters_mum. I do know that some confusion can occur with some people when they goto open an account and the bank staff don't put the application through as a basic account.

Have you tried CitiBank for the full current account? A lot of people on this thread and others with adverse credit histories seem to be getting accepted no problem at all. Account comes with a debt card and cheque book.

oh and £50 cashback on Quidco.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I would advise anyone to try HSBC. Ring them on 0800 032 4738. I am on disability and was given a full account. My friend has missed 4 or 5 payments on his mortage an has some other bad debt from the past. He was also offered a full account.

HSBC seem very accommodating and the internet service is very good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure