Amex cashback axe shocker

Ive been sent a Notice Of Variation from American Express - From October it's now 0.5% cashback on purchases up to £2000, and 1% on purchases over the £2001.

Have Amex gone bonkers? :( Or have I been singled out for this??
Snootchie Bootchies!

Comments

• pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That sounds like the cashback offered on the Amex Gold Credit Card.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • I got a letter from Am Ex today and I can confirm the new terms on cashback very disapointing and confusing when at a time interest rates are rising.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • And you will not receive cashback that is under a fiver as well!

I think Amex are forgetting that acceptability is still an issue.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • bignoise
    bignoise Posts: 13 Forumite
    Sounds like Amex want to give people a good reason to upgrade to the Platinum card, even if they don't spend more than £5k a year.

There's certainly no disadvantage now - the rates are the same, and if you do miraculously manage to find enough places that take the card that you CAN spend more than £5k, then the 2% kicks in. :)
  • djblamire
    djblamire Posts: 299 Forumite
    Ive been sent a Notice Of Variation from American Express - From  October it's now 0.5% cashback on purchases up to £2000, and 1% on purchases over the £2001.

Have Amex gone bonkers? :( Or have I been singled out for this??

Is this for the blue card??

How long have you had your card? - I have only just received mine, so I'm wondering if it only applies to those who have had their cards for a while,

Daniel
  • Shawz
    Shawz Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    I have an Amex Blue card and received this letter yesterday. It looks like a standard letter that everyone will get eventually :(
    Looking to raise some money ;)
  • I can't see my annual spend on Amex blue being much over £2k so I think I'll be reaching for the scissors (once I've had this year's cashback, of course ;))

Perhaps they're trying to be elitist and weed out the low spenders? Funny, that, seeing as it's still not widely accepted.

I'm off to see if Morgan Stanley are still doing 1% cashback on the first £2k of spending...
  • TREVORCOLMAN
    TREVORCOLMAN Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Martin has posted this detail also and he will update later. I have just taken delivery of a Morgan Stanley Card and it is 1% CB up to 2k. Only tired it at a few places and no one refused it so far. I will be using that one instead. I will wait till I get my Cash Back from AMEX Blue in December, then will close it.

Trev
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry didnt spot this thread until after i'd posted. I have the full details and will be reworking out the priorities and updating the cashback article in a few days

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • I just phoned Amex and got the new cashback rates for the platinum card.... It sounded like the woman in India had already given this info out to loads of other people.

0-3000 : 0.5%
    3000-7500 : 1%
    7500+ : 2%

This change takes place from 1st October.

So for me its only worth using the Amex if I spend over £9000 per year, and with their acceptance its very unlikely that I could manage that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure