Broadband cancelled due to technical fault, now told I have to pay more

My broadband account with Sky was randomly cancelled, which I found out via email saying "sorry to see you leave".

I was 6 months into an 18 month contract. After contacting Sky they told me it was due to a technical fault and my only course of action was to reapply for a new contract as a new customer. This will take 14 days to activate, also they will need 3 more working days to fix issues with my line. Until they cancelled, my internet was working fine.
I told them this was ridiculous and I would like compensation, after 3 days and about 4 hours spent on the phone to them they've told me the best they can offer is £44 compensation (which equates to 2 months payment on my old plan), however they are unable to expedite the process and I will need to wait 14 days to have internet in my home again. The catch is the best offer I can get is £5 more a month than my old deal for a similar service but 'my old service no longer exists and has a new name'.

If I work this out over the 12 months, it will cost me £60 extra, so minus the compensation amount I'm out of pocket £16, and have had no internet for 3 weeks as part of this, while spending a ridiculous amount of time on the phone to their call centre. Also I'm likely to incur extra cost from my mobile contract provider as I'll be tethering those two weeks.

Feels like I'm being scammed and I'm wondering if there's a chance I can take it further with them, or an independent body, or am I just wasting my time trying to do either. I want this resolved quickly as possible however I'm worries that if I accept their offer this is closed and I'm just losing out.

Thanks in advance for any help and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the situation

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport