Possibly losing my job, contact old recruiter?

It's almost two years since I got my current job, and I found it through a recruiter.

I've been struggling most of the time I've been there as the standards are very high. I've now been told I need to make significant improvements in the next few months in order to keep my position.

I've tried as hard as I can to improve and don't feel I can do any better that I am currently, so I think I'm going to look for a new job before I end up getting sacked.

Would it be an idea to call my old recruiter and explain my situation and see if he can help me find a new job? Would he even be allowed to do that seeing as it was him who got me my current job?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I don't see any reason not to contact the recruiter. 2 years on, there will be no comeback on them if you move, even if they assist in that move. They will simply be in line for a finders fee / commission from any new employer.
    More to the point possibly is why you are struggling to perform to the required standard after 2 years. In what areas are you not achieving the levels required? If you are failing to hit call targets for example, is very different to not being able to perform at the quality required.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I don't see any reason not to contact the recruiter. 2 years on, there will be no comeback on them if you move, even if they assist in that move. They will simply be in line for a finders fee / commission from any new employer.
    More to the point possibly is why you are struggling to perform to the required standard after 2 years. In what areas are you not achieving the levels required? If you are failing to hit call targets for example, is very different to not being able to perform at the quality required.
    I agree with all of this. Is it really the case that whatever it is that needs to improve can't be improved? It seems a shame to move on unless you really have to, having almost reached the "golden" two year mark. Have they explained what the problem is or done anything to help / support you?
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For the last couple of jobs I've had the recruiter has called me a year or so after getting me the job and asking if I'd like to hear about other opportunities.

That's employment agencies for you, once their commission is paid the only way they'll get more money from you is if they place you in another job. Not that I'm judging the people involved, that's just the way the system works.
  • rr88
    rr88 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely be getting in touch with the recruiter then.

I agree with the points about it being a shame for me to leave, but I feel my job has been made very difficult lately. I've had negative feedback in the past as well as given advice on how to improve. I did what they suggested to the best of my ability and then spent a year thinking I was doing a good job and that I'd rectified the situation.

But now I've found out I'm apparently underperforming pretty much every day (which is quite a surprise to hear) and need to make significant progress over the next few months in order to keep my job.

I can't help but wonder if maybe they simply don't need anyone with my experience anymore, and are making things as difficult as possible so that I end up leaving.

I'm stressed and exhausted and have simply had enough of the place, I am looking forward to just getting outta there as soon as I can.

Thanks again.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    rr88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely be getting in touch with the recruiter then.

I agree with the points about it being a shame for me to leave, but I feel my job has been made very difficult lately. I've had negative feedback in the past as well as given advice on how to improve. I did what they suggested to the best of my ability and then spent a year thinking I was doing a good job and that I'd rectified the situation.

But now I've found out I'm apparently underperforming pretty much every day (which is quite a surprise to hear) and need to make significant progress over the next few months in order to keep my job.

If you had no indication for a year that you were not performing to requirement, it's your manager who needs to improve rather than you. How is anybody supposed to improve/change their behaviours if they are left in a situation where they believe they are performing OK in the first place?
    I worked with, thankfully not for, one manager who firmly believed that the only time you needed to raise performance issues with a staff member was at their half yearly review. Despite being told by others that this was ridiculous he wouldn't change.
  • rr88
    rr88 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks for letting me know, that's interesting to hear! This is my first proper job so I'm not really too sure how things are meant to work.

Now I think about it properly, I had a load of negative feedback about a year ago aswell as suggestions on how to improve. Then about 7-8 months ago I had another catchup where I had a mix of both good and bad feedback, aswell as more more suggestions on how to improve.

But then haven't heard anything else until the last few days where I find out my job is on the line.

I'm interested to see what my friends and family think of the situation when I tell them anyway.
  • I'd be worried for you going back to the same recruiter -
    That they won't have more clients of the same quality/the same demand of which you are already suffering?

It would be the equivalent of me to continue applying for hotel jobs when after the past year I've decided no more, what didn't I learn first time and I'm in the last property until I find me a new job doing different. (never trust anyone else with your job hunt, it can go so horribly wrong)

Be empowered to find your own next opportunity.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I went back to the recruiter who got me my last job, I quit and wanted temp work whilst looking for a nicer employer, the agency fully understood and it's all about money to them.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure