Hot Wheels Monster Trucks Live is NOT Monster Jam

As a mum of a 6 year old who is mad about the Hot Wheels Monster Trucks we bought him for his birthday this year, we thought it would be great to see them in real life. After booking (very expensive) tickets for Manchester in Jan 2020 and looking for videos to see what we can expect, I have found out that Hot Wheels have just lost their licence (had for 20 years) to make the Monster Jam Trucks, so the show they are taking on the road has similar looking trucks but won’t be the ones my son plays with.
Not happy. Nowhere on the ticket selling site (Ticketmaster) does it mention this. The UK arenas are pretty much sold out, but I can’t be the only one who is concerned about this? Anyone else?

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Its a good job it wont be the ones your son plays with, you wouldnt be able to see tiny toy trucks in a big arena.

what trucks are going to be there?

I have seen many monster truck shows in the USA with all the top drivers and trucks, if any of those are there you will not be disappointed
  • photome wrote: »
    Its a good job it wont be the ones your son plays with, you wouldnt be able to see tiny toy trucks in a big arena.

what trucks are going to be there?

I have seen many monster truck shows in the USA with all the top drivers and trucks, if any of those are there you will not be disappointed

Haha! Very funny!

The ones that are going to be there are some new made-up trucks that Mattel/Hot Wheels have created so that they can replicate the Monster Jam shows and then sell the same toys in the shops. So instead of the famous Grave Digger, they have made one called Bone Shaker.

I am most disappointed that we aren’t going to see a giant version of the Megalodon truck. I feel they should have made it clear that it is not the same trucks as have been seen in the shows for the last 20 years. At £40-50 per ticket it’s a lot to pay to be disappointed!!
  • photome
    I had a look on ticket master where it shows a vid of a previous show in the USA ( I haven’t seen a hot wheels show , only seen the world finals with MaxD, grave digger etc)

Are you saying none of those on the video will be there now?

It doesn’t mention grave digger will be there so I am bit confused as to why you think you have been missold
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you put all this to them?

It is worth contacting them and ask for a refund.

Last year when we bought some tickets to a show the theatre actually emailed and said that the show was not going to be as advertised and if we wanted a refund to ring them

We rang and they refunded immediately.
  • photome
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Have you put all this to them?

It is worth contacting them and ask for a refund.

Last year when we bought some tickets to a show the theatre actually emailed and said that the show was not going to be as advertised and if we wanted a refund to ring them

We rang and they refunded immediately.

Agreed, if the show has changed since tickets were bought, I am not sure it has though
  • photome wrote: »
    Agreed, if the show has changed since tickets were bought, I am not sure it has though

I don't think the show has changed. It was advertised as Hot Wheels Monster Trucks. Previously these were in style A. Now they are in style B. The OP was expecting style A, although this was never specified anywhere.

Also, I thought Hot Wheels brought out new line-ups all the time.So someone could equally complain that the trucks were the same as previous years, and hadn't updated to new models!
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. It’s probably not enough grounds to say mis-selling. I made a (perhaps silly) assumption that Hot Wheels was still using Monster Jam trucks, not being aware of the recent changes.

I’m not an expert in the area of Monster Trucks, but my understanding was that some of the same trucks are regularly part of these shows year after year, but because Monster Jam ended it’s relationship with Mattel/Hotwheels and moved to Spin Master, Mattel/Hotwheels has kind of ripped off the Monster Jam show but can’t use any of the Monster Jam trucks. I tried to post a link to the court case but its blocked.

Now that I have cooled off I am telling myself that the show will probably still be as good and not having seen one before we won’t have anything to compare it to, but for die hard fans and collectors this change of manufacturer is not welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure